Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2008 CR-V LX AWD Silver
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I'm thinking of installing some leds on air vents and cup holders. I am planning so that all leds will be controlled by one switch. The switch has its own led, so it has two positive wires and ine negative wire coming out from the back.

My question is, where would be the most safe and easy place to tap power from? I was thinking of front accessory power outlet, but not sure if there would be a better place to tap power.

Your advice is greatly appreciated. ^^

·
Super Moderator
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,068 Posts
I'd just get a piggyback connector and tap into one of the fuses in the under-dash fuse box. LEDs use very little juice.

·
Registered
2008 CR-V LX AWD Silver
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd just get a piggyback connector and tap into one of the fuses in the under-dash fuse box. LEDs use very little juice.
Which fuse do you recommend? I'm installing about 12 leds with a switch, independent from headlight.

·
Super Moderator
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,068 Posts
I would probably use fuse #28 - cargo area accessory power socket - as I never use that rear socket for anything, and if I did, it has a 15-amp fuse, so it should easily handle it. Or, if you never use the front one, that is fuse #29. And the console one is #31. All are 15-amp.

·
Registered
2008 CR-V LX AWD Silver
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I would probably use fuse #28 - cargo area accessory power socket - as I never use that rear socket for anything, and if I did, it has a 15-amp fuse, so it should easily handle it. Or, if you never use the front one, that is fuse #29. And the console one is #31. All are 15-amp.
Great! Thank you for all the info. ^^

·
Super Moderator
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,068 Posts
Give us a report on how you like the upgrade when it's done! I plan a similar one.

·
Registered
2008 CR-V LX AWD Silver
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Give us a report on how you like the upgrade when it's done! I plan a similar one.
I'll be drilling a hole for each air vents, two for center cup holders, and two holes for each interior door panels. Lots of panel removing, wires running. I hope I'll be able to finish it on one day.

I'll report back once it's done... stay tuned...

·
Super Moderator
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,068 Posts
Well, be sure to include pictures and story with all of that!

Reactions: hive4444

·
Registered
2008 CR-V LX AWD Silver
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After weeks of waiting for parts, my project "Interior LEDs" is done.

I wasn't able to take lots of pics because it was just too hot as time went on, and I was determined to finish the project in one day.

I used 12V 5mm blue leds with bezels for 5mm leds.

There are one led on each air vents, cup holders on center console and doors, and storage on doors.

There is a switch next to radio.

(Installing wires and bezels)

I started the project on 8/8/20. I realized that I ordered "blinking" leds by mistake. So I decided to at least install wires and bezels ahead while waiting for "non-blinking" leds.

After taking out a interior door trim, remove the speaker and fish the wire through grommet using metal hanger. Run the wire to the end of the door, so that it will eventually be connected to leds.

After decide the location of leds, I drilled holes to install bezels.

The toughest one was the driver's door. Since the driver's door has more buttons for all the windows, more wires was already running through grommet between body and door. It was very tough to run wires for led using metal hanger. After some struggle, I managed to fish the wire through grommet. You will have to be extra careful and patience for driver's side door.

For air vents, I simply removed trims then drilled holes.

One wire ran from switch to right rear door. Leds from center air vents, right side air vents, center console cup holders, and right doors would be all connected to this "main wire" by splicing.

One wire ran from switch to left rear door. Leds from left air vents, and left doors would be all connected to this wire by splicing.

(Installing leds)
Installation was on 8/15/20, completed on 8/16/20.

"Non-blinking LEDs" came on 8/14.

Had to take out trims on door and air vents again, but this is not a big deal.

After all the leds were connected, I connected ground wire from the switch to head unit's ground.

For power (red wire), I was going to tap it to #28 interior fuse, but I ordered a wrong fuse tap. I should have ordered a mini-fuse tap. So I just ran power wire from switch to power outlet in cargo area and spliced to wire.

Here is the final result:

I like the result. Since I did the same project for my previous car a long time ago, I knew what to expect. It's not too bright in the night time. If I feel too bright, then I would place a water bottle in cup holder. This would help a bit with brightness.

Boy, I'm glad this is done and over with... ^_^

1 - 12 of 12 Posts