Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 CR-V. I just brought it back from the dealer who gave it a 15-point inspection. One issue that the adviser recommended was a "power-steering fluid exchange." He said the fluid was "dirty." I've read differing opinions about whether the power-steering fluid needs to be exchanged or not. Some folks say, "Yes, it should be changed" while others say, "No, power-steering fluid never needs to be changed." All this confuses me. What's the consensus around this forum? Thanks, all!

·
Registered
507 Posts
Depends on the mileage, but it might be a good idea if it's really dirty. Could cause other problems. Can't be that expensive.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's not the cost, just wondering if it actually needed. For those curious, they quoted me $140 to exchange the fluid.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Yes it should be changed. $140 seems like a lot but if you are not in a position to DIY, it isn't too bad. Depending on where you are located labor rates can be $100 or more per hour, then there is the fluid cost, the disposal and shop fee, and before you know it your at $140. You could use someone besides a dealer but would want to make sure they are using Honda Power Steering Fluid only.

I empty the reservoir once a year and refill, likely over kill but the fluid is cheap, probably luck but I haven't ever had a steering rack issue on any vehicle.

I would empty and refill three or four times with some use between the refills. There are more involved ways to flush it if you are interested.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Take a look at the ps fluid yourself and see how dirty it really is.
Is is necessary to change it at regular intervals, more Internet searching will probably give you the answer.
If you are concerned about it, you can just buy a "turkey baster" type syringe (under $2) and a can of Honda Power Steering Fluid and just empty the reservoir with the syringe and put the new fluid in. That should be enough to replenish the additives.
If it is super dirty, then a more thorough flush would be recommended. Ask the dealer what they do when they replace the fluid.
Buffalo4

·
Everything in Moderation
7,918 Posts
Every 100K miles I buy TWO cans of genuine Honda PS fluid, then using the Turkey Baster, suck out some of the old from the reservoir and replace with new (until I have installed both bottles).

·
Registered
171 Posts
I save up used windex spray bottles (with the trigger pump, not the small push down pump) and use them for draining the PS fluid reservoir, the brake fluid reservoir, etc. When I am pumping/spraying the fluid I aim it back into the empty Windex bottle so that when I am done I can just screw the pump back in an have a sealed bottle to transport the fluid to the recycler. Just make sure when you pull the pump/top off you pump a bit of clean water through it to get rid of the window cleaner from the pump/tubing and wipe it off before you go to pump out fluids.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Neat idea, vrc123.
With my luck, someone would start talking to me and I would end up spraying PS fluid everywhere. :)
Buffalo4

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just don't do what I did and spill all the fluid from the reservoir onto the sidewalk. I thought a piece of fuel line would clamp onto that nipple that comes out the bottom of the reservoir that has the hose go all the way back around the return side of the pump. After I turned the wheel and came back around to the front of the engine, saw that no fluid came out of the fuel line I rigged because I probably needed bigger line. Get a 3/8" hose and clamp that thing on, block off the return with vicegrips or a plug, and pour the contents of the 3/8" hose into a bucket of sorts.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Prestone has Honda/Acura specific PS fluid. It's pretty easy to find, even Wal-Mart stocks it. It's cheap as heck. I just empty the reservoir using a turkey baster every 2 years or 20k miles. Then I refill it up to the full line while the engine is cold, just like the manual says. The maintenance minder and manual don't say when you're supposed to change the PS fluid so one reservoir's worth now and then should be plenty.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I must be a negligent owner. In the 9 yrs I had our '02 Accord I never changed the PS fluid. That was 153k carefree miles of driving on the same fluid.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts