Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel like a real newbie even asking this. In the old days ( I'm 60) There was no question. Trani Fluid or Power steering fluid went in the reservoir.TODAY with all the proprietary crap these cars have, I'm not sure whether it's a gimick or to really abide by it. So the power steering cap says ONLY HONDA FLUID. Should I take that serious? I was going to suck out the old and replace with new. Kind of a 200K mile gift. So what say you? Buy generic fluid or, like the rear Diff fluid, is the fluid magical?

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,798 Posts
Supposedly Honda power steering fluid has specific friction properties. The telling evidence is that other aftermarket PS brands market fluids in special blends "for use in Honda".

Do some price comparisons, you may find that the two 12 oz. bottles you need to do an exchange only cost you a couple bux more than buying genuine Honda. Why take a chance? Make the 'magic' happen! :eek:

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Yep, what Buff says--just pay the extra dollar or two and get the Honda fluid. For coolant and transmission fluids (and dual pump fluids in the CR-Vs), it's not even negotiable with me--I just buy the Honda fluids and don't take chances. I guess that brake fluid is one thing that can be substituted--apparently DOT3 and DOT4 equivalents can be used with no ill effect.

Reactions: Epona

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,798 Posts
I haven't used Honda brake fluids too often, usually a DOT 4 (since these are low moisture absorbing). I still change BF out every 3 - 4 years (hey, I get lazy sometimes, like everyone else).

A few years ago there were reports that Honda (and Toyota) BF had something in it that preserved the seals in the master cylinders, but that controversy has subsided, and there are now reports of excessive hydraulic issues with our cars.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,785 Posts
On power steering fluid, go down to the dealer and get pleasantly surprised at how cheap it is.

·
Registered
481 Posts
For my PS I only use Honda PS Fluid.
It's your car, and Your Rack & Pinion.
Do ya Feel Lucky?
4 dollars for a bottle of Honda PS Fluid.
What does a Rack & Pinion Cost?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts