Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CR-V EXL with 137,000 miles. Started noticing a hum after the cars been driven for awhile and seems to rise in pitch when I turn the steering wheel.
Doesn't happen all the time but seems to occur after driving for awhile.
Is there a belt, tensioner or something that could make this sound. Fluid looks fine and at the right level.

I seem to recall a similar problem about 7 years ago which turned out to be an O-Ring. Just don't recall if the symptoms were the same.

If anybody has experienced anything similar let me know.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Have you replaced the O-ring before on the steering pump? when this happens check the fluid reservoir if it's foamy . Check the level of the steering fluid too. Be sure you only use Honda PS fluid.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you replaced the O-ring before on the steering pump? when this happens check the fluid reservoir if it's foamy . Check the level of the steering fluid too. Be sure you only use Honda PS fluid.
Dealer replaced it under warranty about 7 yrs ago. Sounds like it needs to be replaced again. I will check for foam.
Is it just an annoyance or can it do any damage?

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
It’s good to replace it as if the steering fluid gets foamy it won’t lubricate the parts especially the steering pump. Be sure that the o-ring is different colour other than black as this indicates that it’s the superseded part

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,927 Posts
I had this problem one time on my 2008. It was simply that the fluid was low, and needed to be topped up. there was also foaming in the fluid.. which with low fluid was no surprise. No leak, found.. just some fluid lost over time. Supposed to be checked and topped at each oil change, so I attribute it to lazy service staff.

Note: the other symptom in my case, was steering pulled a bit to the right too.. probably something to do with foaming and air in the power steering causing some imbalance in the power steering. As soon as the fluid was topped up.. both the steering pull and the whine from the power steering cleared up almost immediately.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had this problem one time on my 2008. It was simply that the fluid was low, and needed to be topped up. there was also foaming in the fluid.. which with low fluid was no surprise. No leak, found.. just some fluid lost over time. Supposed to be checked and topped at each oil change, so I attribute it to lazy service staff.

Note: the other symptom in my case, was steering pulled a bit to the right too.. probably something to do with foaming and air in the power steering causing some imbalance in the power steering. As soon as the fluid was topped up.. both the steering pull and the whine from the power steering cleared up almost immediately.
In my case I'm pretty sure it's the O-ring. They're .88 cents at the dealer. I'll pick one up on Friday and install it.
It's an easy fix.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I posted about a whine last year, after my first yearly trip out west. This summer, I've replaced the water pump, belt tensioner and alternator (for other reasons), and the whine remained. That leaves only the power steering pump, or some sort of engine failure. I replaced both o-rings on the steering pump but it made no difference. I get a slight number of bubbles in the fluid when it's running, even after replacing the o-rings.

Now here's the weird thing. I'm back from another 5,000+ mile trip, and the whine is gone. I don't know what the deal is! I was prepared to just get a remanufactured pump from the dealer (I haven't seen many good reviews of aftermarket pumps), and now it's quiet again. I haven't looked to see if I still have a few bubbles in the pump. There is some very slight seepage of fluid around the gasket, so I'm still debating either replacing the pump, or disassembling it myself, replacing the gasket, and the bearing(s) inside.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
I posted about a whine last year, after my first yearly trip out west. This summer, I've replaced the water pump, belt tensioner and alternator (for other reasons), and the whine remained. That leaves only the power steering pump, or some sort of engine failure. I replaced both o-rings on the steering pump but it made no difference. I get a slight number of bubbles in the fluid when it's running, even after replacing the o-rings.

Now here's the weird thing. I'm back from another 5,000+ mile trip, and the whine is gone. I don't know what the deal is! I was prepared to just get a remanufactured pump from the dealer (I haven't seen many good reviews of aftermarket pumps), and now it's quiet again. I haven't looked to see if I still have a few bubbles in the pump. There is some very slight seepage of fluid around the gasket, so I'm still debating either replacing the pump, or disassembling it myself, replacing the gasket, and the bearing(s) inside.
I would suggest that you also check the return hose for cracks. It’ll not leak as it’s suction in the hose not pressure.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I would suggest that you also check the return hose for cracks. It’ll not leak as it’s suction in the hose not pressure.
Interesting--I'll give that a try also. Thanks! That might explain the few bubbles I have. (There are not many, but there might just be enough to cause a problem.) It is silent for now, but I do not expect that to last.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Weird, my noise went away so I'm not gonna worry about it. I'm in the middle of replacing the car anyway so it's not worth messing with it.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Same here. I'm so fed up with all the problems with both of our '09s that I'm shopping. Given that Honda has so many problems on their recent models (especially the current-gen V--this forum is full of numerous common issues!), we're shopping Subaru or maybe Toyota if I decide to get a 4Runner. I was leaning towards a current gen Pilot or MDX but those are problematic as well. Think I'm done with Honda. They effed up in quality.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,927 Posts
Same here. I'm so fed up with all the problems with both of our '09s that I'm shopping. Given that Honda has so many problems on their recent models (especially the current-gen V--this forum is full of numerous common issues!), we're shopping Subaru or maybe Toyota if I decide to get a 4Runner. I was leaning towards a current gen Pilot or MDX but those are problematic as well. Think I'm done with Honda. They effed up in quality.
I certainly understand your frustrations.

Keep in mind though... both Subaru and Toyota also have a range of "common" problems as well. You can confirm this by visiting their equivalent enthusiast forums. This appears to be particularly true of the current generation Subarus, but the current RAV4 is also pretty widely panned for both defects in design and finish as well as common issue complaints by owners. The one exception appears to be the hybrid RAV4... but it still has all the same owner complaints beyond the powertrain of the non-hybrids.

I just encourage you to actually research a list of possible choices for your needs, for each brand and then do some careful test driving to validate concerns reported by other owners.

Personally, I would keep the CRV in your potentials list, as it does compare very favorably against it's competition. Just be prudent and objective in the process, and no carry over any feelings from your current CRVs.. which are two generations old now and represent common issues of that particular generation.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts