Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to haul something that will stick out slightly from my tailgate. I was wondering if closing the gate part way would damage anything, especially the motor. Calls to the dealer were useless.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Good question. And one of the reasons I am glad my CRV-EXL does NOT have the power tailgate. I have heard these powered lifts (Honda and many other brands... all with the same weakness I suspect) should not ever be 'forced' open or closed. (Warn the grocery drive up helper!) If you left it partially open, and the weight of the gate was 'bouncing' against the lift strut as you drove down the road I would worry about undue stress on the lift strut. But if you carefully closed it far enough to rest the weight of the tailgate on something solid (your protruding load, or some other spacer support) then it might be OK. Is there a way to stop the closing position at will??

·
Registered
60 Posts
You could try to 'stop' the closing at some arbitrary point with nothing in the way in case it continued to keep closing.
I drive with my tailgate partially open, with protruding loads all the time (on a Ford). My CRV is brand new... haven't hauled big loads in it yet. I just tie the Ford's lid down, against the load, so it doesn't accidentally bounce up.
Yes, I know that 'officially' this isn't recommended, But I do it anyway. The concern is drafting exhaust gasses back into the cabin thru the open hatch. I just turn on the heater/vent/AC with a high fan speed. I'm confident this keeps fumes from back drafting. Anyway, I'm still alive after doing this many times.
My daughter has a Ford Explorer with powered back hatch. Maybe I'll check that one to see if it can be stopped short of full closure.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just tried stopping the hatch as it was lowered and it promptly reversed direction with a modest amount of resistance. If I'm going to pursue this, the only other option I can see is to remove the fuse for the tailgate motor and try operating it by hand.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts