Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2019 CR-V EX
1,075 Posts
I should caution you that doing so would speed up the drain or death of the tiny battery used in the Gen 5.

I know you can get the radio to work if you push the start button two times without depressing the brake pedal but I am not sure if that will power the outlets.

Some modern vehicles will not supply power to outlets unless the engine is running. Not sure if the Gen 5 falls into that category?

·
Premium Member
2019 Acura RDX Aspec
1,706 Posts
I want to car camp in my 17 ex. What can I do to have power for charging phone or other USB devices? Would like to use cigarette lighter plug other items. Any ideas/thoughts?

check the last post

That might help you, it also has a pic of what fuse he used. be sure to test it when u power cycle the car

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just get a portable power box for your needs and leave the car alone is my suggestion. Lots of non vehicle power options available nowadays including solar!
Thanks, the man5for your thought. I've been looking at a few options like power box, solar etc. My main power need is a medical device that needs nightly charging and a way to make coffee before ready to go about the day.
Any suggestions on what to get ie: brand names or suppliers?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Thanks, the man5for your thought. I've been looking at a few options like power box, solar etc. My main power need is a medical device that needs nightly charging and a way to make coffee before ready to go about the day.
Check power requirements of those devices and that can set direction where to go as to unit size, type, battery etc.

Coffee on a fire ? Eating also ? I saw a highly rated portable french press coffee maker for camping . etc.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,558 Posts
Here is what I would do in your situation..... buy one of those lithium ion battery jump starters, and be done with it. Almost all of them have both 5V USB as well as 12V output ports on them...AND they can be recharged at home or via the 12V port in your vehicle when you are driving. They generally have enough power stored that you could run one for days before it needs to be recharged.

There are many on the market to choose from, and here is one example of what I am talking about: Example

I would NOT, under ANY circumstances drain power from your starter battery. Many times, due to Honda's fuel saving dual charging system, your battery is not even at full charge when you park.. and to tap power from an existing power port in the vehicle requires that you put the vehicle in accessory mode, which wakes up the vehicle and draws more power than what you appear to even need.... thus depleting your battery at an accelerated rate.

·
Registered
2019 CR-V Touring AWD
74 Posts
I agree with all that you don't want to put ANY drain on the starter battery, they are weak and already have enough drain while turned off. If you really want to run a lot of stuff and going to camp is a regular thing, I'd go to Harbor Freight and get one of those 2000 watt inverter generators. quiet, clean voltage and enough for a lot of stuff. Cost, $499 +tax. Iff just small USB devices and phone, there are a LOT of small battery packs (5VDC) available cheap.

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
8,157 Posts
Just get a portable power box for your needs and leave the car alone is my suggestion. Lots of non vehicle power options available nowadays including solar!
100% agree.

This strategy will also allow a person to have one less battery-related issue to worry about and indeed, prolong the battery life and usage too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I want to car camp in my 17 ex. What can I do to have power for charging phone or other USB devices? Would like to use cigarette lighter plug other items. Any ideas/thoughts?
Wish Honda offered the customer the choice of powered USB ports when the engine is off. My CanAm Spider Limited let's the customer decide if the USB ports are switched or always ON my moving the USB port's main fuse to a secondary position in the fuse box. Nice option from BRP.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Absolutely! The portable Li-Ion power packs with USB ports for charging you phone, etc. is the way to go. Or, better yet, buy one of those jumper packs that also has USB ports on them so it'll serve 2 purposes, charging your phone and work as a jumper for your vehicle if the battery happened to die. They're really compact and not very expensive (at least the ones in the capacity you'd need for your CR-V; the ones made for 8 cylinder engines and diesels are larger in capacity so cost much more).

·
Registered
144 Posts
None of the cars have hot cigarette lighters when the car is unattended anymore. The risk would be high with exploding cellphones and vape cigarettes. I bought a lighter socket with alligator clamps to clamp on the battery posts and charge my phone in the trunk of my Miata. (the battery is in the trunk and it more lockable)

I can not recommend you do that with the CR-V. You would have to do it under the hood, and the CR-V battery is minimal to start with. I was given a rechargeable power supply called 'Halo' by my Daughter, after commenting on hers. These things have massive power, and can charge anything. You can even start your car with it. It comes with the clamps and instructions to do that. A friends started his truck seven times with the same model without charging in between. This has saved my skin on three occasions in two years. They are expensive, about the cost of one tow truck assistance.

No vested interest in Halo or any other company.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.