Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 awd auto that I absolutely love. I will likely have it for another 10+ years regardless what happens. On that note, I have a dirt bike I pull on a small trailer. My ok 21mpg average unloaded tanks to about 12-13. I know a trailer reduces mpg but this is a bit much for me. Within an overall budget of $1,000 to put into it I really want to explore options but can’t find much. Aside from the basics i.e tires air filter and fluids, what can I do for 5ish-mpg increase? Is there a performance tune I’m having trouble finding?

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
You can install a Magnaflow free flowing Muffler to get a bit more performance. I'll say around 10% gain in power. As long as you don't use a bigger size pipe use the stock size pipe. This is my own experience.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bike gear and trailer come to I think around 1,200. I’ll have to double check the trailer. Would a free flow muffler affect emissions if I am living somewhere with regulations? My exhaust is old and loud so that might be my first option.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
As long as the catalytic converter and other emissions devices are still installed and working, then a non-stock muffler should not affect emissions testing.

As to "old and loud", do you know what parts are old and loud?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The muffler is hanging and shaking. Just picked it up from the shop, the rear end was out at 105,000mi. Pretty disappointed, cost $2,500 and i guess that was a good deal. But all things considered i’m looking for tunes or chips. Preferably a tune. What options do I have?

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
First off muffle changing anything to the tune of 10% um no.

Rear diff having gone out already means it was beat the hell out of and not cared for properly. And that now is likely where a lot of your MPG was lost

Getting that low of MPG is not normal when just towing a little trailer and a dirt bike. Something else is wrong. Either trailer bearings or something wrong with your CRV that needs repaired.

As for tune or anything, not available for these.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts