Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else experiencing premature tire wear? We had a 2006 EX AWD and had to replace tires at 26k; I now have a 2014 LX and had to replace the tires at 24k. My other Hondas, Accords since 1979 and a Civic CRX Si, only had to have tires at 60-70K. WTF?

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,804 Posts
You can cut your tire wear in HALF by cornering on two wheels... <--- just kidding :sneaky:

On our '06, we got 45K miles on FIVE OEM tires. Got 55K on the FOUR replacement Yokohamas. Got another 50K out of four Kuhmo 727s.

We only had one alignment at about 170K miles (the springs had started to sag a bit)...the alignment mitigated the tendency of the treads to 'feather' and become noisy.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I've got a bit over 40k miles on my 2014 CR-V EX AWD with the original tires, and they are ready to be replaced.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anyone else experiencing premature tire wear? We had a 2006 EX AWD and had to replace tires at 26k; I now have a 2014 LX and had to replace the tires at 24k. My other Hondas, Accords since 1979 and a Civic CRX Si, only had to have tires at 60-70K. WTF?
We have the same; 2006 EX, tires replaced at about 26k. Fast forward, new 2014 CRV LX 2WD, tires replaced at 26k. Even tire wear, rotated every 5k, dealer checked, tires wear evenly but freaking too soon. I've had Civics (1986 CRX Si) and Accords (1979, 1982, 1989, 1996, 2000 and now 2012); none of these needed tires prior to 50-60,000 miles. SO WHAT THE HELL GIVES? It's not rotation, it's not alignment. It's the vehicle, there is no other answer.

·
Registered
259 Posts
2012 AWD CRV with original tires lasting 89,810 kms. Only changed them due to 3 flat repairs on one tire. They still had tread left before the wear bars. No alignment done and no tire rotation or balancing. Winter tires have 84,208 kms on them and good for one more winter season.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,927 Posts
We have the same; 2006 EX, tires replaced at about 26k. Fast forward, new 2014 CRV LX 2WD, tires replaced at 26k. Even tire wear, rotated every 5k, dealer checked, tires wear evenly but freaking too soon. I've had Civics (1986 CRX Si) and Accords (1979, 1982, 1989, 1996, 2000 and now 2012); none of these needed tires prior to 50-60,000 miles. SO WHAT THE HELL GIVES? It's not rotation, it's not alignment. It's the vehicle, there is no other answer.
AWD or FWD EX?

AWD is generally going to wear tread faster as all four tires see traction, particularly when accelerating from stop. Whereas Civics and Accords are basically zero traction on rear wheels, and if you regularly rotate your tires.. you will keep all 4 tires on even treadwear and should see better tire life on the sedans.

But a lot of this comes down to the tires and driving conditions .... some tires are better then others and CRVs run on SUV tires, not sedan tires.. and it does make a difference in many cases. Civics and Accords run on sedan tires... which are quite different in design.

By way of example.. I have OEM Hankooks on my 2017 CRV (235/60R18 = 29.1x9.3R18). My wife has Hankook OEMs on her 2018 Accord (225/50R17 = 25.9x8.9R17) . Same manufacturer, very different tires though, including somewhat different treads. Hers are wearing about the same as mine... yet she has more then twice the miles that I have on mine. [Her tires are also quieter then the ones on my CRV.. likely because the tread is different as is the tire sizing]. Some of this difference is the nature of the tires being for a sedan and FWD only on her Accord. She also does more mostly freeway driving and I do mostly in town driving with lots of stops and starts.

I have owned three generations of CRVs..and if I get 25K on the original OEM tires.. I am happy. Then I put Michelin Defenders on and I generally see tread wear that will result in ~ 40K on those.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
2012 AWD CRV with original tires lasting 89,810 kms. Only changed them due to 3 flat repairs on one tire. They still had tread left before the wear bars. No alignment done and no tire rotation or balancing. Winter tires have 84,208 kms on them and good for one more winter season.
No SHIT? HOW? I love the CrV, but fuck, the tire issue is asinine. My neighbor with a KIA Sportage got 50k off his factory tires. How can Honda justify 25K replacement? Thinking about brand change.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
My 2014 CR-V EX RT4WD has the original tires at 41,000 miles.
The tread is down to the point where they will be replaced in the next month or so.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, either I was typing in another language, or you just don't get it. My 2006 EX AWD, as well as our current 2014 LX 2WD have PREMATURE TIRE WEAR, at about 25,000 miles. The alignment is on target, the rotations are spot on, and not only the OEM set, but two others, are wearing like I'm shaving them at night in my garage. The previous replies addressed both those issues and recommended Michelin Defenders. Great recommendation, but NOT ADDRESSING THE FREAKING ISSUE. Some owners get great tire mileage; I don't. Don't even try to tell me about the road conditions or the weather. Address this to HONDA, or stay silent. Anything else is just white noise. WHAT'S THE PROBLEM, and don't tell me there isn't one.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,804 Posts
Do you want me to move this query to the DEAR HONDA (feedback) area?

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Tire wear issue 4 things and 4 things only:

1. Bad alignment

2. Bad suspension parts

3. Cheap tires

4. BAD DRIVING

It's not the CRVs or Honda's fault. Number 4 is the most common especially in Urban areas with 3 not far behind. 1 and 2 apply more so at high mileage or due to abuse/accident.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
639 Posts
Your tire gauge is probably bad - you are not putting enough air in the tires.
Honda recommendation, in my opinion, is way too low.
If the tire says max is 44 then you should be about 38-39 in each tire not 32.
I get 60,000 miles and replace not due to no tread but they are too old.
Tires should be replaced after 60 months.
(my opinion - I did NTSB accident investigations years ago and over 1/2 the fatalities involved tires that were over 5 years old failing, most others were driver error, some just being in the wrong place at the right time stuff - like following a trunk that had something fall off). Instead the government went with TPMS - the tires will still blow-out when old. They should have required tire replacement manditory at 72 months from date of manufacture.)

·
Premium Member
2005 and 2006 EX AWD
451 Posts
have the alignment checked its usually free for a check the rear camber is probably negative out of spec. adjust rear camber after market control arms have to be installed,I had to do it on my 2005 and my wifes 2006,is it the inside edge of the rear tires? looking at the tires from the rear,if the rear are tilted in more than the front thats negative camber,some sports cars have it that way for high speed cornering but not needed on a CRV,these are the parts that i got X2,if you live where they salt the roads the inner bolts have to be heated up red with oxygen and acetylene to get them out they rust to the bushing the outer bolt is no problem,and find a good alignment tech that knows what he is doing,https://www.amazon.com/Upper-Adjustable-Control-Right-Element/dp/B078XLW389 I dont see your location but in high temperature climates does accelerate tire wear,if its even wear ,and pressure too high or low,or driving aggressive of course,I rotate my tires like a letter X but some say rear to front and cross the front to rear

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK, so far you're not helping anyone but Honda. The alignment is perfect, the rotations are happening properly, and the f(&(& tires are wearing out at about 25K. Find an answer, not an excuse. I worked with a guy who found excuses. I fired him. My tires should last with normal driving, 50-60k. Doesn't matter if they're Continental, Michelin, or Doofus tires. WHY, and pay attention!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
have the alignment checked its usually free for a check the rear camber is probably negative out of spec. adjust rear camber after market control arms have to be installed,I had to do it on my 2005 and my wifes 2006,is it the inside edge of the rear tires? looking at the tires from the rear,if the rear are tilted in more than the front thats negative camber,some sports cars have it that way for high speed cornering but not needed on a CRV,these are the parts that i got X2,if you live where they salt the roads the inner bolts have to be heated up red with oxygen and acetylene to get them out they rust to the bushing the outer bolt is no problem,and find a good alignment tech that knows what he is doing,Amazon.com: Rear Upper Adjustable Control Arm Left & Right Pair Set for Honda Element CR-V: Automotive I dont see your location but in high temperature climates does accelerate tire wear,if its even wear ,and pressure too high or low,or driving aggressive of course,I rotate my tires like a letter X but some say rear to front and cross the front to rear
OK, bullshit. Alignment is done twice a year, the tires wear evenly, the tires are rotated ever other O/C (5k), so your replies are gratuitous. WHAT'S wrong? My 2006 EX did tires at about 27k, my 2014 has now replaced two sets at 25k each. There's no problem? you're dreaming.

·
Premium Member
2005 and 2006 EX AWD
451 Posts
if you can get a printout of the alignment and post it here,my guess is the camber is off and they say its not adjustable so here's your alignment we adjusted the toe ,and failed to mention the negative camber on the RF RR and LR

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,785 Posts
duplicate threads merged.
my 16 is still on factory tires at 48k.

What tires are you running? Tire life varies even if driving conditions are the same.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts