Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Purchased a 2017 CRV Exl in Feb 2017. Rear tires worn bald at 15K . This seems to be a common problem as several other owners have had same issue. Honda is not helpful or taking issue serious. Anyone else experiencing this problem or recommendations.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Purchased a 2017 CRV Exl in Feb 2017. Rear tires worn bald at 15K . This seems to be a common problem as several other owners have had same issue. Honda is not helpful or taking issue serious. Anyone else experiencing this problem or recommendations.
My 2017 CRV Honda has bald rear tires after 33,000 km.
It does not seem to be an alignment issue as the two tires are worn evenly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
They replaced my rear tires with Michelin defenders. I spoke to one of the mechanics and he said he wouldn't be suprised if there was a recall at some point because he has seen several. Mine were bald, same as everyone elses story
UPDATE: When I got the snows put on last week the tires that were rotated to the back are 100% bald. When I look at the tread on the snow tires that have been through a full winter, they are still pristine, and appear to have very even and normal treadwear. I am heading back to Honda with to other two original OEM tires

·
Registered
6 Posts
Honda seems to be aware of this problem. No mechanical faults noted but frequent very severe wear to the rear tires. Mine were word so bad you could see the belts. They had been rotated and inspected. Had some wear at 8000 miles but bald bald by 13000. This caused an accident in our case. Honda replaces the tires at their cost but would not admit liability. Very bad!

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Honda seems to be aware of this problem. No mechanical faults noted but frequent very severe wear to the rear tires. Mine were word so bad you could see the belts. They had been rotated and inspected. Had some wear at 8000 miles but bald bald by 13000. This caused an accident in our case. Honda replaces the tires at their cost but would not admit liability. Very bad!
I have paperwork from the summer when they replaced two tires. The new ones measured at 9/32. They rotated the remaining 2 oem tires to the back and measured them at 6/32. That was at 45000kms. Today, at 54000kms the oems that were 6/32 are now completely bald. Is it resonable to go from 6/32 to zero tread remaining in less than 10000kms?

·
Registered
6 Posts
No and Honda knows it. Dealers have been alerted to look for the problem and report it. Honda is treating owners individually. The government needs tonstepbin before there are deaths.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Any reports of premature tire wear on 2019 or 2020 units? I have the 17-inch Bridgestone Ecopia 422 tires on my 2019 LX, but I still have less than 300 miles, so I have no idea how it's going to work out for me.

Should I take it to the dealer to have them check alignment? I did take it through a belt-driven car wash last week to get all the dust off it before having the windows tinted, but I made sure the driver side wheels were centered within the car wash's wheel track and the sidewalls of the tires were not rubbing the rails.

Even after the car wash, it drives perfectly straight down the highway on flat ground when I take my hands off the steering wheel, so it seems good so far, but this thread has me a little concerned.

Everyone in my family seems to get 50,000 miles or more out of original stock tires on all new cars we've purchased over the past 30 years, usually 60,000+, one got 81,000, and those tires had a treadwear index under 200, which is why those ratings are meaningless.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Any reports of premature tire wear on 2019 or 2020 units? I have the 17-inch Bridgestone Ecopia 422 tires on my 2019 LX, but I still have less than 300 miles, so I have no idea how it's going to work out for me.

Should I take it to the dealer to have them check alignment? I did take it through a belt-driven car wash last week to get all the dust off it before having the windows tinted, but I made sure the driver side wheels were centered within the car wash's wheel track and the sidewalls of the tires were not rubbing the rails.

Even after the car wash, it drives perfectly straight down the highway on flat ground when I take my hands off the steering wheel, so it seems good so far, but this thread has me a little concerned.

Everyone in my family seems to get 50,000 miles or more out of original stock tires on all new cars we've purchased over the past 30 years, usually 60,000+, one got 81,000, and those tires had a treadwear index under 200, which is why those ratings are meaningless.
You can certainly take it to the dealer and have the alignment checked.. but there is no firm evidence yet that rear wheel alignment is the cause here. It could be something else entirely.. which is likely why Honda Corporate put out the alert to dealers to report any such incidence and to NOT service them until a Honda engineer comes to the dealer and inspects the issue.

In my view, don't try to fix something if you do not know for sure it is broken. Check your tire tread on your wheels every couple thousand miles and if you start to see abnormal tread wear, then bring it to the dealers attention. If you do not see abnormal treadwear.. then there is nothing to fix. Fact is though.. when it goes in for it's B oil service, the dealers generally include a tire inspection at that time as well, and they will definitely tell you if you appear to have any treadwear issues.

As for expectations for milage on OEM tires.... meh.... I have owned three different CRVS over the last 17 years now.. and I have NEVER gotten more then 24k miles off the OEM tires. Granted.. I replace them at 4/32, or 5 years of age, and other owners may run them to the wear indicators. And AWD typically does not get the same miles on the same exact tire as FWD does...... mainly because the AWD system is dynamic and is working silently and applying traction a lot more then owners think.... and traction = friction and friction = treadwear.

My 2017 CRV is doing great so far on OEM Hankooks. My wifes 2018 Accord also has Hankooks on it and is doing very well too. That said... treadwear so far shows I will probably get about 25K miles on my CRV, and my wife will get 30-35K on her Accord. And honestly those predicted results based on treadwear so far... are in line with past experience on CRVs and Accords in our household. The Accord always gets better total miles in the life of the OEM tires... mainly because we rotate tires regularly and her Accord has absolutely no traction on the rear wheels so when the tires are on the rear... they are getting no wear except during braking, and maybe a bit on corners. The other factor is my wife does a lot of freeway driving in her Accord, and I do almost all short trip stop and go in town driving in my CRV. It DOES make a difference.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts