Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just drove 325 miles in our 18 1.5L. With 93 octane I achieved 35 to almost 36 mpgs with only 1100 miles on the odo. We had it loaded down in the back as well. I also drove with Econ button turned off.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I achieved the same results using 87 octane..... Had a good tailwind to help :=)
93 octane in my area is 45 cents a gallon more :=(

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Just drove 325 miles in our 18 1.5L. With 93 octane I achieved 35 to almost 36 mpgs with only 1100 miles on the odo. We had it loaded down in the back as well. I also drove with Econ button turned off.
Very nice numbers, especially with all that extra weight.

Rob

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very nice numbers, especially with all that extra weight.

Rob
I’m a conservative driver. The display stayed in the green the entire time. I didn’t over rev to achieve speed.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Curious why you used 93 octane gas. Manual recommends regular.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I am not judging anyone running higher octane fuel. I know you can get alcohol free gas in 93 at some locations.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I am not judging anyone running higher octane fuel. I know you can get alcohol free gas in 93 at some locations.
It all depends on where one lives. Here in AZ, I believe it would be a challenge to find any gas with alcohol (ethanol?) in it at any octane level.

I do agree with OP that this vehicle is very impressive. As I posted elsewhere on this forum, I averaged over 34 mpg on regular fuel on a 3 day trip including going from sea level to over 4,000 ft mountain passes with A/C running at 100 degrees. 2018 Touring 2WD. No significant winds that I was aware of in either direction.

EDIT: And I never use ECO mode.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
It looks like you have 25 stations selling ethanol free gas in the state: https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?printable&nocopy=true&stateprov=AZ
Hmm, then it appears that I need to research this issue, as I was under the (apparently misconception) that the discussion of ethanol applied to what I remember as many gas stations in the "Midwest" selling gas that was different from gas that I bought "at home" and this different gas provided significantly lower fuel economy. This "difference" I thought was alcohol or ethanol made from corn that was locally grown. I stand corrected!

Thank you for the link, and motivating me to do some research when I have more time later today.

EDIT: Did a quick search before I had to go out. What I guess i was referring to having seen (almost exclusively, if I remember correctly!) in the Midwest is E85, which is up to 85% ethanol, and yes, apparently it is available here in AZ , but I haven't knowingly purchased it, but I will now check the pumps and report back.

·
Registered
449 Posts
"Reformulated gasoline" is different (aka worse) than just ethanol added.
I have ethanol added, reformulated gasoline.

If I drive 50 minutes North or West, I can find real gasoline -
It's non-reformulated and some places have 91 octane with no ethanol

All of this is separate/different from E85 (85% alcohol) which should only be used in vehicles specifically designed to accept it

https://www.epa.gov/gasoline-standards/reformulated-gasoline

FYI, we Northerners also get a different "winter" formulation in all grades during the cold months to reduce fuel line freeze ups.

·
Registered
397 Posts
there was several post before that using the ACC will also increase MPG, I confirm that it does. Been using it with ECO mode as much as I can when I am driving wife's CRV, it slowly adds up to 1 MPG. Its second nature for me now.... when I hit the brake, I just press the "res" resume button to get it going again. In my case, so I wont forget.... I put my right foot on top of the accelerator, just barely touching it, and just let the system do the accelerating and braking. This way my right leg/foot muscle memory is still active.

Just take note, it will not detect cars merging into your lane until it is almost completely in your lane, this is why my foot is always there on the accelerator pedal ready to move to the brake.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
... Did a quick search before I had to go out. What I guess i was referring to having seen (almost exclusively, if I remember correctly!) in the Midwest is E85, which is up to 85% ethanol, and yes, apparently it is available here in AZ , but I haven't knowingly purchased it, but I will now check the pumps and report back.
Update: So during my errands today, I drove up to 4 gas pumps, at different stations, where I usually buy gas. One had no signage that I could see about ethanol use, and the other three said something like it may contain up to 10% ethanol.

So yes I stand corrected. Ethanol is available in AZ. What I was thinking, apparently, is that I don't remember ever seeing E85 at a station anywhere I have been in AZ. I have to assume that E85 is prominently labeled on the pump. I was confusing E85 with ANY ethanol mix, and the E85 is where the reduced mpg becomes a larger issue.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Curious why you used 93 octane gas. Manual recommends regular.
I truly don’t know why. I may scale it back to 89.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We have no ethanol free gas stations around us. Although there is a YouTube video on how to make it but that’s another topic. I make it for my yard equipment though.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I truly don’t know why. I may scale it back to 89.
Here in Michigan, 93 octane (premium) gas is generally at least 30 cents/gallon more expensive than 87 (regular). Octane ratings are a measurement of the fuel's ability to resist engine knocking or pinging. If there's no increase in mpg using premium, and the engine doesn't need it because it isn't knocking, why spend more?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Here in Michigan, 93 octane (premium) gas is generally at least 30 cents/gallon more expensive than 87 (regular). Octane ratings are a measurement of the fuel's ability to resist engine knocking or pinging. If there's no increase in mpg using premium, and the engine doesn't need it because it isn't knocking, why spend more?
We have a separate discussion in the MPG thread about this. We have no way to read the knock sensor on these vehicles. We actually have no idea if it's pulling timing on the stock tune. I saw upwards of 10% better mileage with premium during the winter. I'm currently testing summer fuel, but I'm still getting 2-3 mpg better with premium.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts