Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering buying a 2016 or 20217 CR-V. My mechanic has assured me their engine will get me to 200K with proper maintenance.
I currently have a 2003 Tracker with 105K miles. I purchased it new and want to get a lot more miles out of my next purchase.

How many miles is too many for a 2016? I saw a nice EX-L with 65K miles. That makes me nervous. What do you guys say?

Thanks for your advice.

·
Registered
329 Posts
2016s and 2017s are totally different vehicles.

The 16 is at the end of the design cycle, so most issues were well know and solved prior to 2016.

2017 was the first year of the new design, which typically results in many bugs that need that need to be revealed and fixed. The 17 has these issues, not all of them had problems, just more of them than other model years.

·
Registered
2011 Honda CR-V EXL
133 Posts
Within the past few weeks there was a thread on this forum where a person with a (somewhere around a 2016) CR-V that had surpassed one million miles with only normal maintenance.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yeah, I've heard of an hyundai elantra getting a million miles as well. Good luck ;) Those are flukes and always all highway miles with late model vehicles. Usually like a courier doing long distance all highway in the suburbs/country type of deal. Not a normal 12-15k a year driving pattern.

Honda like many car manufacturers is going away from proven longevity and towards trying to get a few extra miles per gallon. The new 2017 crv has the triple threat of a cvt transmission and a GDI turbo charged engine. They will most likely not last as long as traditional automatics or non gdi engine. If you have the option of non-gdi, get that.

The new crvs have some problems. Just google gasoline oil dilution, Just go to carcomplaints.com These cars are very new to be having complaints already at an unusually high rate. The cvt hasn't been out long enough to know what their failure rates are. You'll need 10 plus years to know that as the majority of the generation hits over 125k. If you're buying used check for a gas smell in the interior. You do not want one that has oil dilution already obviously.

Honestly, a 2017 doesn't make much sense. It retains too much value due to perceived reliability. Get the previous generation with a traditional automatic and non-gdi engine or just gamble on the future reliability of the cvt and gdi engine and go brand new.

Your mechanic is going based on older crvs. There have been major changes with cvt/gdi/turbo that will have an effect on longevity.

·
Registered
2016 CR-V EX-L
152 Posts
Assuming routine maintenance has been done 65K is barely broken-in for a 2016.

I purchased a 2016 almost 2-1/2 years ago and couldn't be more pleased. At the time, I was also looking at the recently introduced 5th generation (like the 2017 you mentioned) but there had been some reported issues as noted by others and the CPO 2016 was equipped like I wanted (EX-L) and priced right. Now with a couple of years of ownership under my belt it has been uber reliable and very inexpensive to maintain. I would make the same decision again.

I'm not sure where you are located but Cargurus.com should help provide you with insight regarding what availability and pricing looks like in your market.

Good Luck with your decision/purchase!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I purchased a 2016 almost 2-1/2 years ago and couldn't be more pleased. At the time, I was also looking at the recently introduced 5th generation (like the 2017 you mentioned) but there had been some reported issues as noted by others and the CPO 2016 was equipped like I wanted (EX-L) and priced right. Now with a couple of years of ownership under my belt it has been uber reliable and very inexpensive to maintain. I would make the same decision again.

I'm not sure where you are located but Cargurus.com should help provide you with insight regarding what availability and pricing looks like in your market.

Thank you so much. I appreciate your advice.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thank you everyone for your advice. I have heard about some of the issues. I am glad I found this group!
curious what they are asking for their 2016 ex-l with 65K. I have a 2016 touring with 38K. We are in Missoula and have been kicking around trading in for an accord. I have had 3 CRVs 1997, 2014 and 2016 and never had any issues. My daughter has the 2014 now and drives the heck out if.

·
Premium Member
2008 EX AWD
172 Posts
I am considering buying a 2016 or 20217 CR-V. My mechanic has assured me their engine will get me to 200K with proper maintenance.
I currently have a 2003 Tracker with 105K miles. I purchased it new and want to get a lot more miles out of my next purchase.

How many miles is too many for a 2016? I saw a nice EX-L with 65K miles. That makes me nervous. What do you guys say?

Thanks for your advice.
I would say that’s right about average mileage for a 4.5 year old vehicle. I would also say it could easily get you to 200,000 to 300,000 miles, with proper maintenance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
34 Posts
Within the past few weeks there was a thread on this forum where a person with a (somewhere around a 2016) CR-V that had surpassed one million miles with only normal maintenance.
Not possible in four years. I drove team across country for 30 years , 250,000 miles a year is next to impossible. You would have to drive close to 700 miles everyday.

·
Super Moderator
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
3,413 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Moving this to Shopping section.

·
Super Moderator
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
3,413 Posts
Not possible in four years. I drove team across country for 30 years , 250,000 miles a year is next to impossible. You would have to drive close to 700 miles everyday.
Agreed! Big trucks don't get this many miles with 24/7 team drivers. As a linehaul driver I ran 15 hours a night, 6 nights a week, year round, 3,200 miles a week. Minus a week's vacation, that's 163k per year. At that rate it took over 6 years to hit a million. Also, it's no longer legal, with current logging rules. And there's no one on Earth that drives a car like this.

Reactions: Rygrego

·
Registered
2011 Honda CR-V EXL
133 Posts
Then obviously my 'somewhere around 2016' must be way off.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts