Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to make one phone primary? I do most of the driving when we are both in the car. For some reason my wife's phone is the one that the radio makes primary. I have removed and reinstalled both phones thinking the order was the reason. Not. Normally I get in the car, pull it out of the garage, then my wife gets in. I would think it would hook up to my phone. Not. Her's is the one connected. Both are iPhones if that would make a difference.
Any ideas what I can do.
Bob

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, if you plug in a phone you've set up for CarPlay, you'll be promoted for that one to take over.
I know it will take over the phone plugged in. But will it change the next time we both get in the car without being plugged in? I'm trying to get the drivers phone to be the one connected with bluetooth. I'll check it out. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
5,026 Posts
Does the primary FOB have anything t odo with it>

Reactions: williamsji

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,927 Posts
Is there a way to make one phone primary? I do most of the driving when we are both in the car. For some reason my wife's phone is the one that the radio makes primary. I have removed and reinstalled both phones thinking the order was the reason. Not. Normally I get in the car, pull it out of the garage, then my wife gets in. I would think it would hook up to my phone. Not. Her's is the one connected. Both are iPhones if that would make a difference.
Any ideas what I can do.
Bob
Are both phones the same model iPhone? Does it still give the wife's phone preference if she is way away from the car when you start it up?

Bluetooth, even with all the metal panels in a vehicle to interfere, very often will pair up at ranges of 20 ft. I have a bluetooth battery monitor on my battery, buried inside the engine compartment, and my phone app will reach well over 20 feet to sync up and pull a data report.... through two different walls, a fireplace chimney, and the engine compartment.

Conspiracy theory time: Sounds like a typical tactic of wives.. taking over all the husband's stuff. :p

·
Registered
178 Posts
My understanding is that is selects the phone to use alphabetically, just as in the order they are displayed on the screen. This is certainly how it works for my wife and I - so lucky me it always selects me no matter what :). I'd suggest giving your phone a new name so it comes up first on the screen. Worth a shot!

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,927 Posts
My understanding is that is selects the phone to use alphabetically, just as in the order they are displayed on the screen. This is certainly how it works for my wife and I - so lucky me it always selects me no matter what :). I'd suggest giving your phone a new name so it comes up first on the screen. Worth a shot!

I did not know this. Good tip. :)

·
Registered
2017 EX-L AWD
121 Posts
There may be automatic switching going on.

Two days ago wife and I started a lengthy drive. My phone was on, hers not. I was received a few texts which the car read to me while driving. No surprise there.

Wife wants to call the hotel we just left, turns her phone on. We used the hotel information saved in the navi to show the phone number, and to place the call. The call was placed through her phone, not mine, even though we hadn't transferred the connection to her phone. Later, texts sent to my phone appeared on the car screen and were read to me as before.

In the past, maybe in the previous car (Acura), if the car was linked to my phone, wife could make calls on hers without it connecting to the car's hands-free link.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mine doesn't work that way. Bob's phone vs Linda's phone. And Bob is first on the list. Linda still wins. The only time my phone hooks up is if I'm alone in the car. I was hoping with the new map update things would be different. No such luck. The car adjusts the seat for the driver. How difficult would it be to program the Radio the same way. Other than an aggravation I consider it a potential safety hazard.
Happy New Year to all, Bob

·
Registered
433 Posts
Mine doesn't work that way. Bob's phone vs Linda's phone. And Bob is first on the list. Linda still wins. The only time my phone hooks up is if I'm alone in the car. I was hoping with the new map update things would be different. No such luck. The car adjusts the seat for the driver. How difficult would it be to program the Radio the same way. Other than an aggravation I consider it a potential safety hazard.
Happy New Year to all, Bob
I have the option to identify my phone as primary within the menu under settings. Even if my wife gets into the vehicle first with her phone, my phone will grab the bluetooth when I arrive. I assume this would be available in the 2017 model as well?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts