Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been to the dealer to see the new CR-V and I really like it. I love the design, cargo/interior space, technology and fuel economy. The cabin seems quiet and the doors feel solid. I am apprehensive though, because the quality of the cabin doesn't feel very polished. The interior plastics look a little cheap and the trunk area wheel wells are covered in plastic, so I'm worried about durability, scratches, and interior noises. Also, the leather (haven't seen the cloth yet) doesn't seem to fit the contours of the seats well, it's loose in places so I worry about issues in the future.

I'm wondering if there are any new owners that are prior/current Lexus RX/NX owners that can give their opinion on the quality of the new CR-V. The new CR-V seems like a great vehicle overall but I'm very sensitive to quality issues. I previously leased an RX and the car was flawless but I'm really leaning toward the CR-V this time.

I don't want to exclude other brand owner's. I realize there are differences among all brands. I also own a Hyundai and am very happy with interior quality. This will be my first Honda, so I'm curious what others think about the interior quality.

·
Super Moderator
3,196 Posts
Pricewise the CRV is below even the cheapest Lexus CUV, at over $35k. But of an apples and oranges comparison?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do realize the price difference, but I don't have any experience with other SUV brands. Maybe Toyota RAV-4 would be a better comparison. I've looked at the Highlander, and the interior seems similar to the Lexus in terms of quality of materials. I was more interested in what differences, if any, Lexus owners noticed as owners of the CR-V. This way I will get a better impression from someone who has had very similar experiences with SUV's as myself.

Also, I don't think cost is a good way to measure interior quality. As I stated, my Hyundai is excellent. The new '17 Mazda CX-5 has a very premium interior as does the new Nissan Rogue.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have a 2015 RX 350. Interior-wise, there's no comparison. The Lexus has quality materials & fit, and subtle, but elegant presentation. The CRV tries too hard with a variety of surfaces, but I think it's an improvement over past years, especially when I remember the 1999 CRV I had for years. The CRV's quietness & ride compare favorably with my Lexus if you allow for the price differential. One thing Honda did was use the molded sound deadening underneath the car. I don't recall seeing if they wrapped the wheel wells like my Lexus has.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jack - Really appreciate your input. I'm not worried so much about looks but I tend to make evaluations with my eyes first and was worried that what I saw was indicative of other shortcomings. It's great to hear that the quietness and ride compare well.

As for the wheel wells, I would be interested to know about that. Whenever I washed the RX, it always seemed strange that the wells were padded but I guess that helped with sound deadening. The cabin of the CR-V definitely seemed quiet, but I know once you start loading things up in the back, I can image more noise from things hitting the plastic in the trunk than if it were completely covered with material.

·
Registered
140 Posts
It's a Honda my friend. Always trust your gut and before you even posted this observation/question you knew the answer. If you come to a CR-V from a luxury brand expecting luxury brand refinement you are setting yourself up for disappointment. If you move to a CR-V for the utility, comfort and price understanding that is is a well designed car made for the average person you will be pleased.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's a Honda my friend. Always trust your gut and before you even posted this observation/question you knew the answer. If you come to a CR-V from a luxury brand expecting luxury brand refinement you are setting yourself up for disappointment. If you move to a CR-V for the utility, comfort and price understanding that is is a well designed car made for the average person you will be pleased.
I like your perspective. :)

·
Registered
730 Posts
Here are some pictures of the underside of a 2017 EX-L in the showroom. They had also installed the side steps.

Notice all the vacuum formed fiber panels added for sound absorption. Also, it's interesting to see how flat and smooth the underside of the 2017 is, much more so than our 2004. The black shiny object in the first picture is the plastic fuel tank. Thought it was interesting how the fuel tank is now plastic, it was metal on our 2004, I don't know which generation of the CR-V the fuel tank was changed to polypropylene.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm coming from an '09 Lexus IS 250 and honestly, I'm impressed with the new CR-V's fit & finish (I've only test driven it at this point). Granted my 8 year old Lexus is... 8 years old. The Lexus touchscreen Nav is older and the instrument panel & display is a bit dated. Hence, the modernized CR-V is a nice step up from my Lexus. Drive-wise, the CR-V handled really nicely. I was actually very surprised how quiet it was -- even more quiet than my IS! Even when the turbo roared it wasn't loud enough to disturb a simple conversation with other passengers. The leather is not quite as "tight" as I'd like, and the backseat didn't have as much "soft-touch" materials, but otherwise, this is about as close to a luxury interior as I've seen without paying the luxury pricetag.

I test drove an X1 as well as the Lexus NX - Were they nicer inside? Absolutely. Did they drive/handle better? Aside from being non-CTV, I don't think they drove nor handled any better. At least the normal way that I drive - which is not-super-aggressively.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow, that's really interesting to see. Thanks for the great pictures. Looks like they went to great lengths to improve sound insulation. It's changes like these that allow me to compare the CR-V to other more expensive brands.

On a side note, I'm guessing your an engineer, designer, or work closely with plastics... 'vacuum-formed', 'polypropylene' - you know plastics.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Wow, that's really interesting to see. Thanks for the great pictures. Looks like they went to great lengths to improve sound insulation. It's changes like these that allow me to compare the CR-V to other more expensive brands.

On a side note, I'm guessing your an engineer, designer, or work closely with plastics... 'vacuum-formed', 'polypropylene' - you know plastics.
Guilty as charged, Mechanical Engineer, I do work closely with plastics and fabrication processes.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
It's a transition going from a luxury car back to a mainstream car. I went from a Park Avenue to a Town Car and then back to an Impala. The adjustment was hard and I never grew to like the Impala. A Lexus owner seldom "downgrades" but they keep at the same level or better. My CRV EX-L is my third "regular" car since the Lincoln and I have adjusted but it took a while. I would have preferred a Acura RDX but I didn't want the expense of feeding a V6 with premium fuel.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would have preferred a Acura RDX but I didn't want the expense of feeding a V6 with premium fuel.
Like you, I'm interested in fuel economy. I'm willing to forego certain premium aspects for improved mileage. It seems that premium SUV's get poor mileage, the BMW X1 being the exception but I vowed I would never buy another BMW after over $20k in maintenance when I owned an E46 M3. The CR-V is looking like an SUV that hits all the right buttons.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I am going to chime in. I used to drive a Toyota Camry but my boyfriend had a Lexus IS 350 and also an RX 350.

I found even the transition from The Toyota to Honda difficult. Honda uses a lot of hard plastics when Toyota uses a lot of soft vinyls in the cabin. My Toyota Camry that was 10-11 years old when I traded it in had features my 2015 CRV didn't have. Toyota and Lexus do quite a bit more with storage also. I find the CRV severely lacking in interior storage up front compared to the Toyotas and Lexus' that I have driven.

I find the Honda seats incredibly uncomfortable, compared to the Toyota and definitely the Lexus. I find the CRV like driving a Civic that is higher up. To go from a Lexus to a CRV or Civic would be incredibly difficult. I loved the heated steering wheel of the Lexus, the air conditioned seats, the sound quality of the speakers, the comfort of the vehicle, etc... Everything always felt perfect on the Lexus. Every detail seemed to have been well thought out. The Lexus' we drove had some features that were behind in the times, the cameras were not as good as when I bought the Honda. I looked seriously at the NX before buying the CRV. I needed a car quick and all they had were 2WD as the NX 200 had just come out and were in serious demand and were getting above MSP prices. The RX 350 was beyond what I could afford. We had done long drives in my boyfriends RX 350 and then I drove a trip in my CRV. No comparison - the RX 350 was so comfortable. Lexus also has an incredibly smooth drive. My Honda has a ton of weird vibrations.

After owning a Honda, I prefer the Toyota product. There is no way I would put either in the same group as Lexus though. Lexus is rated #1 for quality for a reason and last time I checked, Honda had dropped below 10.

My fuel economy on my 2015 CRV is running about 21-22 in town. Not even close to what Honda states. If I am lucky, I get 26 on the interstate. This is for an AWD. Also - I found the RX 350 AWD hands down better than the CRV. With our winters, AWD is important. Those with 2WD seem to have great gas mileage.

I have not driven the 2017 CRV and there are definitely features on that I would love to have such as Car Play. I don't think there are enough changes though if I had a choice between a Lexus and a 2017 CRV that would convince me to go with the CRV, unless it was money which is a huge reason. The Outback was in my price range and wish I had gone with that or had gone with a 3 year old RX 350.

·
Registered
30 Posts
If money were not a consideration, who here would choose to drive a CR-V over a Lexus SUV? 90% of respondents would say the Lexus, and the other 10% are liars :) Actually, there may be a few who need the extra cargo space the CR-V provides, but besides cargo what other reason would there be? If you say fuel economy, remember that money is not a consideration. If you are worried about your carbon footprint, choose the Hybrid Lexus RX or NX. Maybe if you had a bad experience with a Lexus you may have vowed to never return, but how many have had that experience?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I started this conversation to get exactly the input you have all been providing. I really wondered about the quality of Toyota vs Honda and it seems that, at least for prior generations, the CR-V has lagged behind. I know there will be sacrifices with the Honda but I think for 2017 Honda has done a good job addressing the issues of of past generations and overall making the vehicle more competitive.

I can live with cheap looking plastics (wish they were better), but I can't live with vibration and noise. It sounds like strides have been made in cabin noise, ride quality and comfort, these are the main factors in perceived quality. If Honda is at Toyota level and other Lexus owners are satisfied, I'm confident I'll be happy with the Honda.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Doesn't the base model NX come with vinyl seats? I know they call it something more glamorous but it's vinyl not different than I had in my 73 Oldsmobile. The higher end Lexus F Sport has genuine leather. And if you really want some bang for the buck, look at Hyundai. Their product is terrific these days plus a long warranty. The CRV is fine but not nearly as smooth and quiet as the Hyundai we have. Granted it's a higher end sedan but still cost was close after discounts etc.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I started this conversation to get exactly the input you have all been providing. I really wondered about the quality of Toyota vs Honda and it seems that, at least for prior generations, the CR-V has lagged behind. I know there will be sacrifices with the Honda but I think for 2017 Honda has done a good job addressing the issues of of past generations and overall making the vehicle more competitive.

I can live with cheap looking plastics (wish they were better), but I can't live with vibration and noise. It sounds like strides have been made in cabin noise, ride quality and comfort, these are the main factors in perceived quality. If Honda is at Toyota level and other Lexus owners are satisfied, I'm confident I'll be happy with the Honda.
I doubt the 2017's have been compared but Consumer Reports put Toyota much higher than Honda in sport utilities and brand reliability in 2016. I find Honda inferior to Toyota.

If gas mileage is desired, there is a RAV 4 hybrid along with the Lexus NX 200 hybrid (or whatever the model is called)

The 2015 vibrations have probably been fixed in 2017.

Yes - Toyota is using Softtex rather than leather - they call it synthetic leather. They claim it lasts longer. My friends seem to like it.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Since I keep my cars much longer than three years, which is the span of Consumer Reports reliability data, I prefer to look at personal history as well as Long Term Reliability of individual models. Honda has slipped from the #4 position down to #8, but it's still way better than most of the other manufacturers. Also, in terms of reliability, Honda has lost marks on things like their infotainment systems, which in my book is not as significant as say the car not starting and you having to call a two truck.

Here is a good website that I found which has real world, long term, reliability data. http://longtermqualityindex.com

Consumer Reports is fine, but 8/10 of the vehicles they give high reliability rating to are far out of my price range, I won't be purchasing a Lexus, Audi, or Mercedes anytime in the near future. My personal experience has been with Honda vehicles to the tune of 600,000+ miles over the years, I have been completely satisfied with the reliability of the Honda vehicles I have owned over the past 30 years.

Nothing wrong with Toyotas, I just find their exterior/interior styling as well as the driving experience much more bland than what I have owned from Honda.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts