Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 26 of 26 Posts
Since I keep my cars much longer than three years, which is the span of Consumer Reports reliability data, I prefer to look at personal history as well as Long Term Reliability of individual models. Honda has slipped from the #4 position down to #8, but it's still way better than most of the other manufacturers. Also, in terms of reliability, Honda has lost marks on things like their infotainment systems, which in my book is not as significant as say the car not starting and you having to call a two truck.

Here is a good website that I found which has real world, long term, reliability data. http://longtermqualityindex.com

Consumer Reports is fine, but 8/10 of the vehicles they give high reliability rating to are far out of my price range, I won't be purchasing a Lexus, Audi, or Mercedes anytime in the near future. My personal experience has been with Honda vehicles to the tune of 600,000+ miles over the years, I have been completely satisfied with the reliability of the Honda vehicles I have owned over the past 30 years.

Nothing wrong with Toyotas, I just find their exterior/interior styling as well as the driving experience much more bland than what I have owned from Honda.
I keep my cars for the long haul also. Consumer Reports also ranks older cars.

This chart puts Honda in 10th place with Lexus and Toyota 1 and 2.

http://www.consumerreports.org/car-reliability/car-brands-reliability-how-they-stack-up/

While some of it does deal with the awful infotainment system which I deal with daily and hate on the Honda, my less than 2 year old CRV has been at the dealer for 4 days since I bought it.

I guess I am the opposite - I find driving the CRV bland.

I'll comment again since I'm considering replacing my 7 year old Toyota RAV4 with the new CRV. My RAV4 has been a great car and I test drove the Toyota as well as the CRV. The RAV4 is a solid car but it is $2 to $3k more to get all the same features that the feature rich CRV has. In that price range I would go with the RDX if it ran on regular gas. The top of the line RAV4 uses a fake leather that is dull and washed out looking, and the two-toned seats I can't stand. So it's either the CRV this year or wait and see how Toyota responds next year with the RAV4.

I am also curious to see toyota's response to the new CRV. I had my '07 CRV until I traded in on the 17 and I never had to do more than tires and oil changes until a few months before trading it in. My AC compressor failed, common at that age with any vehicle. So, one $600 repair in 10 yrs in my book is pretty good. My '03 I had for 4 yrs was perfect until trading it. Hard to compare the 17 with a 15, they really are worlds away from each other.

Hard to compare the 17 with a 15, they really are worlds away from each other.
Yes - and it is too early to tell if there are issues with the 17. I bought my 15 exactly 2 years ago and it was being hyped as "Motor Trend SUV of the Year Winner." It is too early to tell what issues may come up with the 17.

Yes - and it is too early to tell if there are issues with the 17. I bought my 15 exactly 2 years ago and it was being hyped as "Motor Trend SUV of the Year Winner." It is too early to tell what issues may come up with the 17.
True, I'm sorry you are so disappointed with your car, it has obviously left you very bitter. The crv has the following it does based on many people having a positive experience, but that just can't be the case for everyone. Every car has its pros and cons, Toyota's to Hondas and even to a Lexus. Hopefully your next car will suit you better. As much as I'm now on my 3rd CRV, and they have all been great cars, this year I purchased an extended warranty. With all the tech, AWD, etc, one repair can easily cost more than the warranty. Only time will tell.

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

True, I'm sorry you are so disappointed with your car, it has obviously left you very bitter. The crv has the following it does based on many people having a positive experience, but that just can't be the case for everyone. Every car has its pros and cons, Toyota's to Hondas and even to a Lexus. Hopefully your next car will suit you better. As much as I'm now on my 3rd CRV, and they have all been great cars, this year I purchased an extended warranty. With all the tech, AWD, etc, one repair can easily cost more than the warranty. Only time will tell.

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk
Not sure if I am bitter. I had friends who hyped Honda for years so I thought I would give it a try. Right after I bought it, the reliability rating for Honda dropped quite a bit and there have been issues with the 2015 model (and other models as well). I don't think Honda is the company it used to be. Going from Toyota to Honda, I really think Toyota has an edge (and most ratings indicate such). I don't think the drop in ratings is only related to the (awful) infortainment system. I think a lot has to do with how poorly Honda handled the 2015 vibration issue. Only the 2nd car I have bought new and the first car I paid cash for (which is huge). I keep my cars for the long term. I also bought an extended warranty for this car.

The OP asked about experiences with Lexus models. My boyfriend has Lexus products so I am pretty familiar with them and drove them often. There really is no comparison between Honda and Lexus. Lexus is rated #1 consistently and it is obvious to me why they are. I just wish I could afford one. I honestly don't think someone who is used to Lexus would be happy with a CRV (my boyfriend thinks mine is a piece of junk). I went from a Toyota to Honda and am disappointed.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.