Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today I must sadly admit my minor DIY failure... It's a good practice to set the oil cap somewhere where it will prevent the hood from closing to keep you from forgetting to put it back on. On my last car, a B5 Passat, the wiper cowl worked great for this, as the firewall was at the base of the cowl (instead of the base of the windshield.) If you tried and close the hood on the oil cap, it wouldn't work.

Well, I did my oil change and had to top it off by a few ounces, and forgot to put the cap back on afterwards. The hood closed just fine on top of the oil cap. Cue a trip to the movie theater where I had a funny smell coming through the vents the whole time. #(*&#$(*&#@!!!! I put the cap back on, and saw I was only 1/2 qt or so low, which wasn't too bad. But oil coated most of the back left side of the engine compartment.

Readers may find it useful to know that some quality time in the driveway with a water hose and a bottle of Turtle-Wax brand degreaser (it was on clearance sale at the nearby AutoZone) and she cleaned right up. There's literally no trace of the cleaner or the oil left. I DID rinse the cleaner promptly and thoroughly, and only used hose-pressure, not a pressure-washer. (You don't want to leave the cleaner on there for fear it'll eventually react with the metal, and you don't want to use a pressure washer without spending a lot of quality time bagging the electrical connectors.)

To keep this from happening in the future (and to make the crankcase easier to fill), I got a tall screw-in funnel from Amazon for a few bucks. It'll reduce spills when I fill, and be super-obvious that I haven't put the cap back on yet.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Today I must sadly admit my minor DIY failure... It's a good practice to set the oil cap somewhere where it will prevent the hood from closing to keep you from forgetting to put it back on. On my last car, a B5 Passat, the wiper cowl worked great for this, as the firewall was at the base of the cowl (instead of the base of the windshield.) If you tried and close the hood on the oil cap, it wouldn't work.

Well, I did my oil change and had to top it off by a few ounces, and forgot to put the cap back on afterwards. The hood closed just fine on top of the oil cap. Cue a trip to the movie theater where I had a funny smell coming through the vents the whole time. #(*&#$(*&#@!!!! I put the cap back on, and saw I was only 1/2 qt or so low, which wasn't too bad.

Readers may find it useful to know that some quality time in the driveway with a water hose and a bottle of Turtle-Wax Brand Degreaser (it was on clearance sale) and she cleaned right up. There's literally no trace of the cleaner or the oil left. I DID rinse the cleaner promptly and thoroughly, and only used hose-pressure, not a pressure-washer. (You don't want to leave the cleaner on there for fear it'll eventually react with the metal, and you don't want to use a pressure washer without spending a lot of quality time bagging the electrical connectors.)

To keep this from happening in the future (and to make the crankcase easier to fill), I got a tall screw-in funnel from Amazon for a few bucks. It'll reduce spills when I fill, and be super-obvious that I haven't put the cap back on yet.
i've done something similar before ... my place to put the cap is where the hood comes down to lock down. this failed me once on my wife's Prius where somehow, i was able to close the lid because the cap had shifted slightly and allowed me to close down on the oil cap.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts