Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just drove home in my new CR-V, and I'm probably the saddest new member here.

I got a Chevy Avalanche in October 2001, put 85,000 miles on it. In October 2004, I got another, almost identical truck. It now has 56,000 miles on it. I absolutely love that truck.

Anyway, I was offered a company vehicle for which I would only need to pay gas and maintenance. With the way the gas prices are going, I am now paying over $1000 a month between payments, insurance, and gas for my 'Lanche.

So, it was with much trepidation that I agreed to my employer's offer.

I picked up the brand new CR-V with 21 miles on the odometer. In the 15 mile trip home, I got just about double the gas mileage as my Lanche. And, so far, that's the only thing I like better about it... ;-(

Well, I'll probably get pretty active around here for a couple of months or so - talk to you later. [Off to play some more GTA IV] ;)

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Welcome to the club, I think.

I don't know what to say. Most of our new members pay for their CR-Vs and are ecstatic.

You did notice that this was a CR-V Owners Club, and not an Avalanche club?

Well we are glad to have you none the less and hope that your V will grow on you.

If nothing else you can author a series of "Unfortunate Events" posts, describing your ill fortune of having a CR-V foisted upon you.

Again welcome to our club and you have our deepest sympathies!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just the reaction I was looking for! :)

I have been a member of the Avalanche club since 2001, that's why I immediately sought out this club. I have met so many friends from that club - friends that I will keep even without the truck. I've been to Tennesee, Georgia, Niagara Falls for get togethers with that club. (I live in NJ).

Do you guys have get togethers like that?

I'm sure that it will grow on me. In fact, I feel much better today. I'm starting to look for some mounting brackets for my cell and some XM stuff.

By the way, I'll have some pictures this weekend if anyone's interested. I plan on shooting my Lanche and the V side by side...

·
Registered
841 Posts
Just the reaction I was looking for! :)

I have been a member of the Avalanche club since 2001, that's why I immediately sought out this club. I have met so many friends from that club - friends that I will keep even without the truck. I've been to Tennesee, Georgia, Niagara Falls for get togethers with that club. (I live in NJ).

Do you guys have get togethers like that?

I'm sure that it will grow on me. In fact, I feel much better today. I'm starting to look for some mounting brackets for my cell and some XM stuff.

By the way, I'll have some pictures this weekend if anyone's interested. I plan on shooting my Lanche and the V side by side...
Are you kidding? Love pictures. :D Would also love to see some meets. Got any suggestions? Vermont maybe (hint hint).

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I haven't gotten around to the photos yet, due to work/family and weather issues...

But, I've got Saturday set aside to fart around with the cars and trucks. I'm planning on taking some photos, taking the 'Lanche for one last off-roading trip, and mounting some of my phone / mp3 / gps / XM equipment.

I've got about 600 miles in it now, and it's starting to feel like mine. I do like the smooth, quiet ride.

My biggest complaint is the stupid folding console tray. I see no purpose in folding it down. What do they think - we're walking around like it's a van? :)

·
Registered
841 Posts
My biggest complaint is the stupid folding console tray. I see no purpose in folding it down. What do they think - we're walking around like it's a van? :)
I frequently put things like a camera, walkie talkies and binoculars between the seats and pull the tray up to keep them out of sight. It's a nice little hidden area that's quickly accessible by dropping the tray.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Schenley - it could be a LOT worse. Sorry to hear you had to get rid of the truck you love but at least you are moving into a quality vehicle.

Glad to have you here on the forum and we hope to see you back often!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I frequently put things like a camera, walkie talkies and binoculars between the seats and pull the tray up to keep them out of sight. It's a nice little hidden area that's quickly accessible by dropping the tray.
Yea, but in order to do that, you have to remove your drinks, and any crap that's on there in order to drop the tray. Also, the stuff stowed there will slide around while driving.

I guess this will be less of an issue when I get all my gear mounted on the dashboard...

·
Registered
342 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. Being in CR-V is not the worst thing that could happen. I am sure you will like the CR-V experience as time goes on. You are actually in far better shape than the rest of the nation as NJ gas price is considerably lower than other states. I look forward to taking advantage of lower NJ gas price when I drive up to NYC.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Welcome to the Forum. Being in CR-V is not the worst thing that could happen. I am sure you will like the CR-V experience as time goes on. You are actually in far better shape than the rest of the nation as NJ gas price is considerably lower than other states. I look forward to taking advantage of lower NJ gas price when I drive up to NYC.
Yea, I know. Our gas is about $3.60 now (regular). I've noticed that most stations are now giving about .09 discount for cash. One station closed for a week to change over to cash/credit. It was really getting bad with the 'Lanche - I was hitting the $100 mark to fill up!

I do wish we could pump our own gas, though. I think this is the only place in the world that you cannot pump your own gas.

·
Registered
342 Posts
^Actually, American Express Card gives 3% rebate for gas. That would be better than carrying cash in my view. I have to agree with Blackpearl that you should not be labeled as the "saddest member." By the way, you've got to appreciate Blackpearl's quote of Yeats.

“Being Irish he had an abiding sense of tragedy which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.” W. B. Yeats

You pay less than the rest of the nation and still want to pump your own gas. Why? They are not going to charge you any less and this allows people to have jobs. :) If you insist on pumping your own gas, they'll have to raise the price. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yea, but in order to do that, you have to remove your drinks, and any crap that's on there in order to drop the tray. Also, the stuff stowed there will slide around while driving.

I guess this will be less of an issue when I get all my gear mounted on the dashboard...
And you need to drop the tray why, exactly? I just slide it underneath from the back - no problem. Unless the thing is completely different over the pond, I can't see your problem.

And they don't slide around, either.

·
Registered
126 Posts
...Our gas is about $3.60 now (regular)...
OH what I'd give to only pay that little!!
So that works out about $1 per litre (50p) in the UK our petrol is £1.119 per litre ($2.20), so £5.05($10) per UK gallon or £4.19($8.30) per US gallon:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
174 Posts
OH what I'd give to only pay that little!!
So that works out about $1 per litre (50p) in the UK our petrol is £1.119 per litre ($2.20), so £5.05($10) per UK gallon or £4.19($8.30) per US gallon:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
I've seen diesel at £1.309 per litre, thats about $10 per US gallon! Luckily I am getting over 40 UK mpg. :)

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
How Many Avalanches In The UK?

I bet there are not many Avalanches, Hummers, Lincoln Navigators, Ford F350s, or Dodge Rams running about in merry old England.

It is written in the US constitution that all men* have the inalienable right to drive the largest vehicles on the face of the earth, pay the least for fuel, and moan the most about prices.

*Women were not allowed to drive or vote when the constitution was written.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You pay less than the rest of the nation and still want to pump your own gas. Why? They are not going to charge you any less and this allows people to have jobs. :) If you insist on pumping your own gas, they'll have to raise the price. :)
Grass is always greener... huh? ;-)

I hate having to wait for either a punk kid who wants to be somewhere else or someone who doesn't speak English to take their sweet ass time in getting over to pump some gas.

I love visiting other states - zip in, swipe card, fill, leave.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Now, to get this thread back on track...

As promised, here's a quick picture of the new and the old...

More pictures later... I did a lot of work on it today - moving all my gadgets from the 'Lanche.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts