Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be brief as long rants on poor vendor experiences are tedious. On 7/23/15 I ordered the cables needed to patch your iphone into the larger CR-V display for navigation, etc. My credit card was charged but the package was either immediately lost by FedEX or never given to FedEX. I have been attempting to get HERE to refund my money or send cables for over a week. There phone salespeople are unable or willing to help, saying only they will escalate the case to a special group who works out solutions. No solution has been forthcoming and I have gotten various contradictions from those I have spoken to. THEY WILL NOT ALLOW YOU TO TALK TO THE PROBLEM SOLVERS BY PHONE, ONLY THROUGH THE SALESPEOPLE. Last night (8/5/2015) I have filed a BBB complaint and notified my credit card company to contest the charge. I have notified American Honda that their choice of fulfillment companies is poor.

I say all this to warn potential customers of the cable set. Maybe HERE almost never has a problem delivering their products on time. But in the case there is a problem, there is a REAL problem. I actually got the phrase "it may not be our fault" from a salesperson two days ago while asking for a refund.

Caveat Emptor. American Honda, this reflects very poorly on you.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Apparently being masochistic by nature, I just did my daily call to HERE. This time I notified the salesperson ("Spencer") that I have started a case with the Better Business Bureau, contacted American Honda, and contested the charge with my credit card company. I told him that I wanted a refund. I was then placed on hold while he conferred with the "escalated cases people" who fix problems. (Yeah.) He came back and said that when FexEx finds the package that they lost, they will mail it overnight to me and when I get it, call back and get an RMA in order to get the refund. He said I would get it by Monday at the latest. I am being put off yet again.

The problem is that the FedEx record is showing nothing more than the generation of a mailing label; it does not show they received the package. I believe I am waiting until Monday for nothing. I will try American Honda again, and try to find a HERE phone number above the level of what I am using. BTW, I found a webpage that assigns a BBB grade of F to HERE:

http://www.bbb.org/utah/business-reviews/computer-business-services/here-llc-in-orem-ut-22360225

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, maybe some progress, today, 15 days after the cables went missing in the mail. I have been promised a refund, ....AFTER they get information from FedEx about what actually happened to the package. I guess they are afraid I am a master criminal, specializing in stealing cables after I have hacked into FedEx and changed the shipping information. Amazing.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Today is 18 days after the cables went missing in the mail. I called to see if progress is being made on the refund. My credit card company cautioned me to NOT drop the dispute until I have money in hand.

Today, Joe told me that the refund had been ordered and should be approved and done within the next couple of days. He promised to call when it has actually been done. (Also found out that FedEx's only job was to take the package to the post office, something they apparently did not accomplish.)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"Kathy" called yesterday, laughing, to say that I will get my refund in 5-7 days. I received the invoice today indicating it will happen. The Better Business Bureau showed me Here's response, which was to grant the refund. I accepted. American Honda also contacted me yesterday to get more details, in order to help. Unless something goes wrong with the refund, this will be the last post. The take-away from this is that in at least one case, HERE has demonstrated poor customer service. That is enough to cause me to consider other options. I did get one more piece of information from someone yesterday that might be useful to anyone having a problem with an "escalated case" at HERE. That is the email address

[email protected]

which apparently can connect you with the "management" who handle the escalated cases. If you ever get to the point where you need that address, then God Bless You.

Rick

·
Registered
454 Posts
My sales person told me to get the cables direct from Apple. He said they were cheaper. He pointed to which cables I needed. You can have a Fedex issue with Apple though.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Coral,

That is a good idea to get the needed cables directly from Apple. I may check that out later.

You are right about the possibility of shipping screw-ups with all companies. The thing about HERE that was unique, in my experience, was: (1) the willingness for them to delay, delay, delay providing a refund or replacement; (2) their sales/customer support organization which prevented contact between the customer and someone who could help; and the (3) untruthfulness/inaccuracy of the customer support statements. [I base (3) on the fact that I was told contradictory things by different people, multiple times.]

Rick

·
Registered
454 Posts
Hey Coral,

That is a good idea to get the needed cables directly from Apple. I may check that out later.

You are right about the possibility of shipping screw-ups with all companies. The thing about HERE that was unique, in my experience, was: (1) the willingness for them to delay, delay, delay providing a refund or replacement; (2) their sales/customer support organization which prevented contact between the customer and someone who could help; and the (3) untruthfulness/inaccuracy of the customer support statements. [I base (3) on the fact that I was told contradictory things by different people, multiple times.]

Rick
Our dealership sells the cables. My sales person took me over and I took a picture of the cables needed. I have yet to buy them. I have read people who have bought the $60 Honda app and the cables are are not pleased with the Navigation. Please report back when you have used this to let us know your opinion.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will report back if I learn anything, but the negative reviews of the cable and app have me looking for an alternative strategy. We have an android phone, iphone and Garmin GPS unit; I am hoping that at least one of these can be linked (at least to mirror the screen) to the car's screen through an hdmi adapter of some sort. The touchscreen functionality of the car's display will not work but at least its screen might display the route.

I am not positive about the following, but I think the HERE maps used in the Honda Navigation App and are not the best. Again, not positive, but I believe they were the old NavTeq maps used in the TomTom. One of my kids was a basketball recruiter for a year and her TomTom got her into some interesting predicaments more than once.

What I will look for is the simplest way to display Google Maps from iphone or android; or a way to output our dedicated GPS to the car's display.

For the moment, I am going to cool it on the Honda cables and map application.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I purchased all my cables on Amazon. They were much cheaper. You need a lightning cable, short HDMI cable and a digital (HDMI) to lightning cable. I definitely wouldn't buy the kit from Honda;its way overpriced!

I don't have any problems with the app as there has been 3-4 updates since I started using it in December of last year. I probably use it around 2 times a week.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Jamesb93612,

I am still on the fence, but if I try it I will go the Amazon route. For $56.45 and free shipping (Prime Membership), you can get

a short hdmi to hdmi cable:

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-High-Speed-HDMI-Cable-Supports/dp/B003L1ZYYM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439585002&sr=8-1&keywords=hdmi+cable

the Apple Lightning Digital Adapter:

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MD826AM-Lightning-Digital-Adapter/dp/B009WHV3BM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439585236&sr=8-1&keywords=digital+hdmi+to+lightning+cable

and a short lightning to usb cable:

http://www.amazon.com/Certified-Anker-Lightning-Ultra-Compact-Connector/dp/B00K4VQZCM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1439585144&sr=8-3&keywords=lightning+cable

Are these similar to the cables that you bought? [In particular, is the lightning cable a lightning to usb cable?]

How is it all wired up? Does the adapter plug into the iphone, and then the hdmi cable goes from the adapter hdmi to car hdmi, and finally the lightning/usb cable goes from the adapter lightning port to a car usb port?

Final question: When the phone is all hooked up (correctly) is the iphone battery simultaneously being charged while displaying stuff on the car screen?

Thanks in advance for the information.

Rick

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
REFUND RECEIVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So the package went missing on 7/23/15 and the refund was received on 8/16/2015 (or possibly 8/15/2015).

After reading more reviews on the Honda App for Navigation I have decided to pass on it for the time being.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts