Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Problem with my 2002 CRV accelerating

8K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  sunrise 
#1 ·
I've been having a problem for quite a while now where my CRV will all of a sudden start puttering like it's not getting gas to the engine. At first I thought it was maybe the fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, or throttle position sensor. But lately I've noticed that it only does it when my transmission is about to shift gears at like 3000rpm's. And if I take my foot off the gas for a few seconds then start accelerating again, it shifts gears then it's fine until it's time to shift to the next gear. , And also if I try accelerating too fast. And when I'm on the interstate and I can make it to 70-80mph, sometimes it will stop accelerating and start coasting and decreasing speed for about 5 seconds and then starts jerking violently as it tries to accelerate again unless I take my foot off the gas and wait 5 seconds then start accelerating again...has anybody out there ever heard of this problem or any mechanics have a good idea as to what's my CRV's problem anyways???

#3 ·
Good possibility your catalytic converter is plugged up. Those symptoms you're describing very very similar to what I experienced with my DIL's Mazda Tribute. I had first assumed it was some kind of transmission problem, but when I removed the catalytic converter (the rear one just before the downstream O2 sensor) I found that a huge majority of the honeycomb/mesh holes were plugged up solid.

What got me checking the cat was using an infrared laser pointer thermometer to check the temperature of the exhaust right before it entered the cat and right as it was leaving the cat. The temperature after the cat should be much higher than the before cat temp, but in this case it was about the same. That's a strong sign of a plugged up cat, which I verified when I removed it. I tried to clean it. Impossible; it was severely plugged up. I replaced it and all the symptoms went away.

I suggest using a laser thermometer as an easy and fast test. The engine has to have been running for a while so it's fully warmed up. Have the RPMs elevated a bit.

#7 ·
I experienced those same symptoms in a 2000 Accord. I checked, double checked and triple checked every system and everything to no avail; the problem persisted.....and there was no trouble code showing.......
I had just replaced the engine so I even went so far as to strip down the timing cover to recheck my timing belt installation. Then, I realized that just when the stumbling and stuttering starts, I would hear a slight clunk. Turns out, the honeycomb in the aftermarket replacement cat had worked it's way loose, inside the cat body, and would randomly move to the rear, clogging up the exhaust side of the cat and choking the engine. I never thought that a clogged exhaust could cause such driveability problems but I was proven wrong. I replaces the cat and the car has driven great since then. Look into that exhaust.....cat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.