Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok first off I have no NEED to remove mine. Normally no desire to either. However due to the fact we are moving to St Louis from northwestern Illinois over the next couple months, I will be towing a smallish trailer to accomplish this.

Obviously as has been done for those that chose to remove them, it has increased MPG and such removing the rotating mass and extra load on the drivetrain.

My question is, though logic and knowledge of the design would make one think that things will be fine:

Has anyone driven any real length of time with propeller shaft removed then reinstalled it without issues? Rear differential continuing to work just fine afterwards? If it damages it not the end of the world but would like a heads up so can get one.

Just seeing if I can decrease workload on my engine and transmission just while making the runs

And none of this "rent a truck" and all that BS. I know exactly what I'm doing, and I could replace my transmission with a complete rebuilt one for about half of what a truck big enough would cost to make the move. Actually will have one before we move (buying core and rebuilding myself) As well as our Odyssey will be towing a trailer as well (already made one trip).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Welp seems no one who's active has done it so guess we shall see there.

I was wrong however about it needing repaired. Thought the noise was coming from rear sway bar (need to replace a link) then heard a gross noise last night when I needed the 4wd to get out of my back yard. Pop that didn't sound good. Ran to the shop today and put it on hoist. Back one was coming apart....

So it's out, we'll see what happens. Can put u-joints in it no problem but not sure how much life is left in the slip joint and carrier bearing. So may save up to get an entire new propeller shaft assembly. I won't use the cheap crap so going to cost a few hundred.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,814 Posts
Sorry I didn't see this when first posted...yes... several owners have driven Gen1, 2, and 3 Vs without the driveshaft (propshaft) for months or years.

As long as the center bearing is adequately supported during removal, it should be OK to re-use without repair. Have not heard of more than a couple center bearings needing replacement.

The difficulty with replacing U-joints is that they are crimped in, not retained by grip-rings. BUT I have seen youTube vids on how to do it so the joints CAN be replaced.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh sorry my question must have been confusing.

Was wondering if anyone had driven for long periods then reinstalled the propeller shaft, having the differential be ok still. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding your reply.

Ya I not worried about changing staked u-joints. Pain in the ass but can be done as well as the center bearing can be changed easily enough.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts