Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Manual says its supposed to be checked when hot but doesn't say what hot is. Anyone know what the actual procedure is? Don't want to drive around for 1hr just to check the level

2002 EX

·
Registered
256 Posts
Since you do not want to be bothered with checking the transmission fluid in the manner prescribed by Honda engineering, here is a ballpark procedure that can be used, if taken with a grain of salt.

Park the vehicle on level ground and do not have the engine running. The transmission fluid dipstick has an area marked indicating the "hot" fluid level range. If the transmission fluid is 'cold', the reading should be touching the very bottom of the 'hot' area, or slightly over. If it is at the top of the 'hot' range with cold fluid, it is likely over-filled by a moderate amount. At no point, hot or cold, should the fluid level be above the top of the 'hot' level indicator.

If I had a dollar for every Honda I have seen over the years where the automatic transmission fluid level was 1/2 an inch or so over the top of the indicated maximum 'hot' level I wouldn't have to be scrounging my beer out of other peoples refrigerators... (amazing how many customers with an over-filled transmission declined to have the condition corrected)

·
Registered
256 Posts
Manual says its supposed to be checked when hot but doesn't say what hot is. Anyone know what the actual procedure is? Don't want to drive around for 1hr just to check the level
2002 EX
The "actual" recommended procedure is to check the transmission fluid level with the vehicle on level ground and the engine not running after driving the vehicle for a sufficient amount of time to bring the fluid to operating temperature / 180 degrees F.

The actual real world procedure is closer to what I indicated previously.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Simply no. No shop or customer is gonna have a mechanic drive around for half an hour or more after a change just to check the level

·
Registered
482 Posts
On my 2005 CRV it says check transmission level after the engine is up to normal operating temp. It says check the level within 60 to 90 secs after shutting the engine down. The 2002 may be similar. Why not check after a drive home from work?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On my 2005 CRV it says check transmission level after the engine is up to normal operating temp. It says check the level within 60 to 90 secs after shutting the engine down
Where did you get this from? The manual? I couldn't find anything in the 02 manual. Does it say how you're supposted to get it up to operating temp? I live too close to work. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,666 Posts
Where did you get this from? The manual? I couldn't find anything in the 02 manual. Does it say how you're supposted to get it up to operating temp? I live too close to work. Thanks!
Let it idle until the rad fan comes on.....Once the fan comes on you are at operating temp.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Let it idle until the rad fan comes on.....Once the fan comes on you are at operating temp.
This is wrong. The transmission takes alot more time to warm up than the engine. A few days ago I ran across Lexus' procedure while researching the CRV's procedure. Don't remember the details but you had to have it at 3000 rpm for some time and shift through all the gears x number of times

·
Registered
26 Posts
This is from the 07-09 Honda CR-V service manual (the big green one the actual Honda garages use):

"ATF Level Check
1. Park the vehicle on level ground.
2. Warm up the engine to normal operating temperature (the radiator fan comes on), then turn the engine off. Do not allow the engine to warm up longer than the time it takes for the radiator fan to come on twice.
*NOTE: Check the fluid level within 60-90 seconds after turning the engine off. Higher fluid level may be indicated if the radiator fan comes on twice or more.
3. Remove the dipstick (yellow loop) from the dipstick guide tube, and wipe with a clean cloth.
4. Insert the dipstick into the guide tube aligning the notch with the guide tab.
5. Remove the dipstick, and check the fluid level. It should be between the upper mark and the lower mark.
6. If the level is below the lower mark, check for fluid leaks at the transmission, and hose and line joints. If a problem is found, fix it before filling the transmission.
7. If the level is above the upper mark, drain the ATF to proper level.
8. If necessary, fill the transmission with ATF through the dipstick guide tube opening to bring the fluid level midway between the upper mark and the lower mark of the dipstick. Do not fill past the upper mark.
9. Insert the dipstick into the guide tube aligning the notch with the guide tab."

I used this procedure before I did a drain and fill of the ATF om my '09 and it worked great. Just make sure that you do align the notch on the dipstick with the guide tab. Don't just force it on without looking, you may mess up the dipstick.

Should be about the same procedure for your 2002.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts