Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to buy a 2017, or 18 EX-L this winter. What are the major first servicing things done for a new CR-V? I'm hoping to work into the deal the first major fluid changes/service work

·
Registered
30 Posts
I may stand corrected but i think its better to go to an independent shop. I bring my own synthetic oil, filter, and pay $13 for the labor on an oil change for example. Runs me less than $45. (2008 accord)

·
Registered
196 Posts
Looking to buy a 2017, or 18 EX-L this winter. What are the major first servicing things done for a new CR-V? I'm hoping to work into the deal the first major fluid changes/service work
There's no MAJOR maintenance until >60K miles. Just regular oil changes/tire rotations/filter replacements/etc. Nothing that can't be done DIY-style.

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,062 Posts
Besides the normal fluid changes ( engine, transmission, differential ). Honda, like most manufacturers now days, recommends flushing the brake fluid every 3 yrs. I think the engine oil is the hardest to change because I need to run the CRV onto some little ramps. Everything else I can slid under and pull the drain and fill plugs.

·
Registered
387 Posts
For $39 id rather just let the dealership do it, so im also kept up on any TSBs that need to be addressed. (and get a Honda inspection for everything else) There are always coupons and you get snacks and a free car wash while waiting. I probably would never buy replacement tires at a dealership, but the oil changes are reasonable IMO. A lot of dealerships throw in a few free oil changes with purchase of the car.

·
Registered
121 Posts
For $39 id rather just let the dealership do it, so im also kept up on any TSBs that need to be addressed. (and get a Honda inspection for everything else) There are always coupons and you get snacks and a free car wash while waiting. I probably would never buy replacement tires at a dealership, but the oil changes are reasonable IMO. A lot of dealerships throw in a few free oil changes with purchase of the car.
I've seen more domestic American manufacturers offering free/lifetime oil changes than Asian brands - that said, my experience with a Honda (in this case a 2014 Pilot Touring 4WD) is a LOT more than I expected. Rear transfer case service a 15k miles, tranny service @ 30k miles...these are stated in the Pilot maintenance schedule and shows up in the Maintenance Minder (A123/B123 service). A quick check at the Piloteer forums validates that this is a factory requirement.

Not saying this is what the extensive requirements are for a 17 CRV but I will say I've spent more on factory-scheduled maintenance for my Honda than any other cars that I've owned (except a LS460 I owned for a short while)...

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
3,096 Posts
You can work a Deal out with the Dealer, you and the sales team will figure out the best pricing

·
Registered
311 Posts
Dealers vary widely on what they charge for full synthetic oil changes and no one around here does free washes with oil. You will get a quick check of things at a dealer but it may be their minimum wage oil guy instead of a mechanic with experience.

Check your filters (including cabin filters) before you leave home and see which dealer tries to sell you unnecessary new ones. Some will.

I would look for the coupons by signing up on all accessible Honda dealer's mail and email lists. The guy in front of you could be paying half what you are. Always ask what oil you are getting; most use bulk oil and not the top brands.

Actually had one dealer put in semi-synthetic once in a Toyota that I had paid and requested to be full synthetic. The worse part of a dealer change can be an extended wait.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've seen more domestic American manufacturers offering free/lifetime oil changes than Asian brands - that said, my experience with a Honda (in this case a 2014 Pilot Touring 4WD) is a LOT more than I expected. Rear transfer case service a 15k miles, tranny service @ 30k miles...these are stated in the Pilot maintenance schedule and shows up in the Maintenance Minder (A123/B123 service). A quick check at the Piloteer forums validates that this is a factory requirement.

Not saying this is what the extensive requirements are for a 17 CRV but I will say I've spent more on factory-scheduled maintenance for my Honda than any other cars that I've owned (except a LS460 I owned for a short while)...
Now that's the stuff I am wondering about>>>>>> Thankyou >>>>> I didn't have access to an owners manual.
Since this will be my wife's long term (10 yrs, or more and into retirement) vehicle, we want to make the most of this deal.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Now that's the stuff I am wondering about>>>>>> Thankyou >>>>> I didn't have access to an owners manual.
Since this will be my wife's long term (10 yrs, or more and into retirement) vehicle, we want to make the most of this deal.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

That's the info I was wondering about>>>>>>>> THANKS >>>>>>>>> I do not have quick access to an owners manual.
This is intended to be my wife's long term vehicle of 10 years, or more into retirement, so we want to make the best of deals that we can!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts