Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have recently purchased a 2010 4wd ex CR-V. This is my 3rd Honda, and I love the way they ride. I am a little bummed on the mpg that I am getting right now. I live in Utah, so it is winter, and I realize that has an effect on the mpg. My main question is will the fact that the motor still has to break in effect mpg as well?? Also, my brakes seem to make a minor grinding sound when backing down my steep driveway. Guy at the Honda place said it is due to build up on brake calipers from sitting in lot. It will eventually smooth out?? Does this sound kosher to you all??? All this aside, I am totally digging having a new CR-V. I test rode every mini SUV in this class, and I think Honda nailed this design so well. Thanks for all your help......:D

·
Registered
720 Posts
Hello all,

I have recently purchased a 2010 4wd ex CR-V. This is my 3rd Honda, and I love the way they ride. I am a little bummed on the mpg that I am getting right now. I live in Utah, so it is winter, and I realize that has an effect on the mpg. My main question is will the fact that the motor still has to break in effect mpg as well?? Also, my brakes seem to make a minor grinding sound when backing down my steep driveway. Guy at the Honda place said it is due to build up on brake calipers from sitting in lot. It will eventually smooth out?? Does this sound kosher to you all??? All this aside, I am totally digging having a new CR-V. I test rode every mini SUV in this class, and I think Honda nailed this design so well. Thanks for all your help......:D
what is your mileage on the car now?
yes, a new engine makes a difference in the mpg you're getting. yes, winter time makes a difference. yes, using the windshield defrost can also make a diff in your mpg. a lot of variables as to why your mpg is bad.
yes, your mpg will get better when you pass your break-in period. not right away, but you should see a difference.

as for the brakes, depends on how much you drive the car and how new it is - it is possible you have some rust on the disc from sitting in the lot for a long time. it may also feel touchy for the first month or so.

for my own car, during the break-in period - i was averaging around 13 L/100km and that's V6 territory!
after break-in period, i average 11 L/100km and now after almost 2.5yrs old... i average 10 to 10.6 L/100km during winter time. this is all city driving.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have just passed the 900 mile mark on the odometer. I am hoping the mpg gets better. I am going on a road trip in a couple of weeks. I will repost the mpg results. I will be in Moab, so i am hoping the warmer weather will help with mileage.

·
Registered
404 Posts
From my own personal experience, being able to "feather" the accelerator helps with your mileage. That being said, using cruise control will actually worsen it. Try it, you'll see what I mean.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts