Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
2000 Honda CR-v 5-speed AWD
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Glad to be joining the community! Figured I would start this now rather than later to keep track of the progress on my CR-v. About a year ago I picked up a 2000 Honda CR-v EX 5-speed AWD off a friend of mine for $1k. Had about 260k on the clock and a few issues here and there but I was happy to have it! Pictures below.

It wasn't long after I got the car before I started thinking about mods/upgrades that I wanted to do. As It was though the vehicle needed some refreshing. The rear diff would squeal in sharp turns at low speeds, the car was leaking coolant and overheating pretty severely. Several engine mounts were broken and all 4 struts were blown and leaking. First I went ahead and replaced the timing belt + water pump (which was the cause of the leaking coolant and overheating). Next I replaced the valve cover gaskets and gave it a fresh set of plugs. I then replaced the DPF fluid in the rear diff and the squealing went away!

With the basic maintenance out of the way it was time for some fun stuff. I went ahead and picked up a set of 1320 engine mounts from ebay for $150 (they are a STEAL) and put them on the Fun-v. Made a HUGE difference in how it drove. You can find the parts here 1320 Performance Engine Mounts. The vibration in the cab was a little too much though so I looked them all over and decided to replace the driver side mount with a new factory mount (since that mount looked like the strongest stock mount) and now the vibration is under control, while still holding the engine tightly in place.

Now comes the suspension. I knew I wanted to lift the Fun-v, not a lot, but still lift it. I opted for the time, to use some strut spacers and do a bit of a "leveling kit". I originally wanted to use them front and back, but then learned about how the suspension geometry multiplies block spacers different in the front vs the rear. So I replaced all 4 struts with generic amazon parts, and purchased this spacer kit StreetRays 1.5" Leveling kit/Lift spacers and installed 2 of them in the rear (left and right) and kept the other 2 on the shelf. I must say, it made quite the difference in stance!

After that there was a few other mods here and there, stereo, speakers, ghetto intake mod (salvaged off my 2012 civic and made it work) But the biggest thing yet was replacing ALL of the front suspension. Upper and lower ball joints & Control arms, inner and outer tie rods, sway bar end links, sway bar bushings. All of it. Brand new MOOG parts. Also replaced the rear upper control arms, sway bar end links, sway bar bushings as well as the diff mount bushings.

Then came the tires. I felt after everything I had done it was time to give the car a good looking tire to match what I wanted to do with it. So I grabbed a set of these off amazon. Some Forceum M/T + tires sized at LT235/75r15. And yes, they were LT tires. (was tired of popping regular tires doing dumb things :ROFLMAO:) and BOY were they beefy and knobby for a CR-v. I had to cut, grind, hammer and spray paint a LITTLE bit (okay ALLOTTA bit) to get them to fit without rubbing but BAM. Theyre on there.

Now I just ordered 2 more things for the little Fun-v. I ordered a factory roof rack off ebay, but what I was most excited for was this! The Automotive Koncepts & Designs Inc Dual Pump Quick Spool mod for the rear diff. I ALSO got their performance clutch packs upgrade. For those who don't know the AWD CR-v suffers from a slow rear diff engagement and when it does start to bite, its weaksauce. THIS kit makes it engage MUCH faster and bite much harder!. (still waiting on parts but its ordered!) Cannot wait to do this mod and I will take lots of pictures, hell, maybe even a video and put it up on Youtube. 馃帴

Last but not least I ordered and am waiting on 2 more things. 1, my Old Man Emu (OME) lift kit! yessss you can find that here and a set of traction board. cheap ones because I'm just starting to get into it and $80 trac boards makes more sense to me than almost $400 trac boards. I used these.

Thats about all I have at this time for the Fun-v! I will be updating this as I get more and more parts and ideas for this fun little thing.

Future plans/ideas
  1. dana 30 solid rear axle swap w/ auto locker diff
  2. front LSD install
  3. rebuild engine, trans and supercharge it
  4. custom metal front & rear bumper
  5. skid plate, skid plate, SKID PLATE!
  6. ROCK SLIDERS!
  7. various other oddities.

Registered
Discussion Starter #2
Stock-ness Glory!!!

Here is was before the leveling kit

Aaaand after the new struts and leveling kit.

The old struts were so compressed and blown out that new struts lifted the front a bit... Noice..

Then here are the bigger, knobby M/T tires. Had to mount 2 tire spacers on the spare to get the rear glass to clear the spare tire :ROFLMAO:

First offroad shakedown results

REALLY want that skidplate to prevent this.... Or at least mitigate this.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Trac Boards finally came in!

Going to have to make some kind of bracket for them on the rear or wait till my roof racks come in and then mount them. For now they live like this

Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
WELCOME.

From my experience, that mud WILL find a way into the engine bay! NO skid plate will prevent it.

Please post additional mods in the appropriate section.

Reactions: Gopher663

Super Moderator
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
Welcome to the forum! Moved to Gen 1 section.

Reactions: Gopher663

Registered
1998 CR-V EX 4spd auto "Big Green" completely stock with roof rack and front mud flaps
Welcome to the forum. I love the pictures (and knowing tires that big can be made to fit)!

Check out what this guy has done. He's got a great mount for his Maxtrax:

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome to the forum. I love the pictures (and knowing tires that big can be made to fit)!

Check out what this guy has done. He's got a great mount for his Maxtrax:

Thanks! I try to take as many photos as possible because you never know. may help someone else out one day. I did alot of research on what could/would fit with minimal lift. 235/75r15 seemed the biggest and It sure was. Took a decent amount of cutting with the cut-off wheel and hammering to get them to fit without rubbing, but after no real substantial damage from cutting, I can run over about anything without rubbing now C: Very happy. Be aware to anyone that doesnt know, it requires some cuts that others might not be inclined to do haha. And thanks for the video! I'm really interested in his maxtrax mount. Going to have to look into fabricating something like that myself! Roof basket and awning are going to have to be added to the list as well.

Side note, I will take pictures of what I had to do to get the tires to fit properly sometime. Next time I have the tires off. And there will be plenty more pictures to come! I have the DPQS and clutch packs for the rear diff to install as well as sanding and painting the new roof rack. That and a friend of mine are thinking about fabricating my own custom metal front bumper from scratch. Should be interesting!

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Also, I found out that Automotive Koncepts & Designs is working on a rear end conversion that lets you run porsche axles. Something about the stock honda axles being toothpicks and only handling like 15 degrees of deflection safely and the porsche axles being almost twice as thick and handling like 32 degrees of deflection safely. Great for lowered or lifted CR-vs! check them out on instagram here to keep up to date with it. Pretty neat stuff! I WILL be buying this if I can manage to get a locker in the stock rear diff, OR doing the solid rear axle to get a dana 30 under there. More research required!

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
ATTENTION! Automotive Koncepts & Designs just informed me that they are working on designing an affordable locker for the rear diff!!! I will be paying close attention to them for that :D

Registered
1998 CR-V EX 4spd auto "Big Green" completely stock with roof rack and front mud flaps
Also, I found out that Automotive Koncepts & Designs is working on a rear end conversion that lets you run porsche axles. Something about the stock honda axles being toothpicks and only handling like 15 degrees of deflection safely and the porsche axles being almost twice as thick and handling like 32 degrees of deflection safely. Great for lowered or lifted CR-vs! check them out on instagram here to keep up to date with it. Pretty neat stuff! I WILL be buying this if I can manage to get a locker in the stock rear diff, OR doing the solid rear axle to get a dana 30 under there. More research required!
Just bear in mind with that roof rack, if it is a stock rack, the load limit is 75 lbs, evenly loaded across the entire rack. Even below the weight limit, the rack can get bent if that weight is all on one end/side. I'd rather not explain here how I know.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Just bear in mind with that roof rack, if it is a stock rack, the load limit is 75 lbs, evenly loaded across the entire rack. Even below the weight limit, the rack can get bent if that weight is all on one end/side. I'd rather not explain here how I know.
Thank you for this sage advice! I looked around online and there is conflicting data between 75-165lbs. Do the luggage cross racks bend? or the actual roof rails themselves?

Registered
The actual roof rails. They support the crossbars only from the bottom, and most of their strength comes from the box shape, not the thickness of the metal.

Registered
I've considered putting thule crossbars on mine in case it makes everything stronger, but it's $500 for a pair.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts