Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2006 CRV, wanna suck out and change the PS fluid, is this critical like the trans that is HAS to be honda specific fluid, or will any PS fluid do just fine? Also the overflow for the cooland is a bit low, wanna add some. It's blue, does this have to be honda brand specific or can I get whatever from the parts store that's suitable for use in my specific honda vehicle?

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,167 Posts
Supposedly, Honda power steering fluid is a special type. This can be confirmed because several aftermarket brands make a variant 'Just for Hondas".

I've found that buying a 12 oz bottle from a dealer isn't exorbitantly expensive, so that is where I buy mine.

+++++++++

Coolant is Honda specific, again that is what I use. Lately, some brands like Zerex Asian are supposed to be formulated to Honda requirements.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
yes use only Honda rated PS fluid.

As for coolant, 1 bottle of straight (not 50/50) is far cheaper than paying $10+ more for 1 gallon of water. A gallon of distilled water is $1.00. Gallons of 50/50 or straight antifreeze range from $12-15. Except 1 gallon of straight antifreeze is equal to 2 gallons of 50/50- premixed because that's all premixed is, they put the water in for you and screw people over for that 1/2 gallon of water and 1/2 gallon of antifreeze in the bottle.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,167 Posts
In the USA, only Honda motorcycle dealers sell concentrated (not pre-mixed) blue coolant.

Its easier just to bite the bullet and buy the Honda Type II pre mix.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In the USA, only Honda motorcycle dealers sell concentrated (not pre-mixed) blue coolant.

Its easier just to bite the bullet and buy the Honda Type II pre mix.

alright, so for a drain and fill i'll need

2 gal pre mixed of coolant for the radiator only
3 qts atf dw-1 for trans
1 bottle of PS fluid to just suck and fill and cycle it till the bottles empty.

all sound good?

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,167 Posts
I thought the drain amount for DW-1 was a little more than 3 qts. I always have an extra quart on hand.

You won't need the entire 2 gallons of coolant.

Otherwise you are Good to Go. :eek:

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I always get 4 qts because it's a bit over 3qts if its sat overnight or so since last drive when you do a drain and fill.

Also, dont have to use Honda blue antifreeze. There is Honda rated at the auto part stores, whats been in my V for years. Best time to change to something readily available (what are you going to do a long ways from a dealership where you cant get Honda Blue and need it, but can get Honda certified stuff from even Walmart) is when doing a flush.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts