Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 2015 CRV which was certified pre-owned - for some reason it keeps pulling to the left when driving it, doesn't matter what direction i'm going on the road (I know road crown can influence this). It's very annoying and so far the dealer has done an alignment for free and rotated the tires, the alignment was off a little on the front left tire but that has been fixed. The service adviser that is working with me said those two things are all they can do for this type of problem.

Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Go to another dealership, you have a full warranty!

·
Registered
252 Posts
It's not completely unheard of for tires to have or develop internal issues or damage that can cause this, and you'd never know simply by looking at them. If the alignment checks out, see if you can argue for a test with a different set of tires.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll check pressure and size. I am waiting for the dealer to call me back to let me know what we can do from here. As far as another dealer, on Honda website the next closest dealer that says "Express Service" is 77 miles away :(

·
Registered
252 Posts
You should be able to resolve at the local dealer level. Beyond "that's all we can do", did they comment that the wheel pull was abnormal? There's a difference between not being able to rectify a problem vs no problem exists. Has a service tech test driven the vehicle?

Push for a test with swapped wheels/tires. There's no real cost for the dealer just to swap mounted wheels.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Currently have a 2015 Honda CRV Touring AWD with just over 12k miles and it is pulling to the left while accelerating. This issue is also documented on the NHTSA.gov. The steering is a bit loose and you have to give more input to one side vs another. Sometimes it gets heavy on some turns as if the power assist turns off. I am currently in arbitration for this and the vibration problem as it has had numerous "fixes" and a district manager that acknowledged the issue but it still pulls left. Alignments, tire pressue check, tire changes, brakes, suspension, code, sensor checks, etc, etc. It seems like it might be an issue with the Motion-Adaptive Electric Power Steering (EPS), or VSA , AWD cars. I recommend you document all of your visits, even test drives with service advisors, log phone calls and make sure service records state what you reported, what work was done, what was noticed on test drives. I have met with District Parts and Service Manager, filed with Honda Customer Service, sent certified letters and all have resulted in the same response. This is a characteristic of the vehicle. Make sure to file these problems/complaints with Honda Customer Service 1-800-999-1009 and the NHTSA https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/ so the government takes notice.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Went to another Honda dealership that was not aware of our problems... tech was great, took a ride with us... acknowledged the car "dances all over the road" and couldn't believe that our Honda dealership turned us away and said to go to another dealership. He ran road force balance, checked suspension and did not have a solution, left his ID number to vouch for problems but still no fix. Appreciate the effort but this seems we'll just have to wait for arbitration to run its course.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I know some people have perfect cars with no problems or they're delusional and think so ... I love that this is a Problem and Issues Forum but for some reason there are always people volunteering to say (with 1000s of posts), you should know there are no problems with my car). And whatever you say, YES I BELIEVE HONDA PAYS PEOPLE TO POST HERE... because they also say Honda monitors these forums. Lets keep this real... everyone with a problem should post here, to NHTSA.gov and let Honda know their cars have problems.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Only just found this site. My CRV was new in August 2016, even driving it home it went left. The dealer had it back for 10 days, during that time I went out with them twice. I took it to a workshop that sets up racing cars and asked them if the car was straight and the wheel alignment correct. They moved the alignment, keeping within Honda's limits. the car now goes straight but will follow the camber in the road. You have my full sympathy on owning a Honda that Honda just keep saying take it back. Asked if Honda would like to have look, no, take it to the dealer.
Spent a lot of money on this 4x4 160 CRV, happy owner... NO.. I still would like it straight and will keep trying to get it resolved.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,736 Posts
What you describe is called Tram-lining. Sometimes the only way to eliminate this is to buy new tires. You could also assure that the bushings are 'normalized', that is, loosen the control arm mounting attachments, let the car seek it's 'normal' height (with a typical load aboard), then tighten...

When the Generation2 CR-Vs were new, many owners had issues with PTTR (Pull To The Right).
It seemed that changing the front spring's orientation (turning it 90 degrees on the spring seat) would resolve the issue.

That said, I've had other cars (not Hondas) that always pulled even after multiple alignments and brands of tires. Just adjusting the tire pressures so that one side is higher than the other made the issue tolerable.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2015 does the same thing. My opinion is that many car mfgrs are designing this in to their electric power steering systems, as the problem was much worse on a 2012 Hyundai Sonata that I used to have. I believe it is suppose to be so slight that you will won't ever notice it. You will just think your car tracks straight when driving in the right lane, due to the concave structure of most roads. BUT I've found that it is affected by tire resistance. If your tires are over-inflated by Honda's specs (lots of people run 34-36 psi to increase tire life vs Honda's recommendation of 32) you will notice it more. If your tires are new you will notice it more. If you drive a lot in a left or center lane, or on roads that are not as concave you will notice it more. When I purchased my 2015 CR-V new I didn't notice it because it was a much slighter pull than I was used to in my old Sonata. This isn't something that dealers seem aware of, possibly because the mfgrs aren't making them aware. My theory is that they figure they would have far more complaints if they designed the electric power steering w/o a bias, because on its own electric PS just doesn't track straight like the old hydraulic design. I've heard that some German mfgrs control the bias with via the computer by sensing the left-right level of the car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
BTW, my 2015 has 93K miles on it and I'm on my 3rd set of tires. Changing tires has never eliminated the problem, though the ones designed for fuel economy make it worse, since they have a lower roll resistance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Tire effect

BTW, my 2015 has 93K miles on it and I'm on my 3rd set of tires. Changing tires has never eliminated the problem, though the ones designed for fuel economy make it worse, since they have a lower roll resistance.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I just got a 2015 CRV which was certified pre-owned - for some reason it keeps pulling to the left when driving it, doesn't matter what direction i'm going on the road (I know road crown can influence this). It's very annoying and so far the dealer has done an alignment for free and rotated the tires, the alignment was off a little on the front left tire but that has been fixed. The service adviser that is working with me said those two things are all they can do for this type of problem.

Anyone have any ideas?
Yea go to another dealership, and check underneath for damage
someone might have run over something or hit something and it just wasn't noted on the carfax BUT should fall under your certified 132483987289472 point inspection they claim to do!

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Fixed on my '10 by adjusting Camber.

My '10 pulled right. Dealer tried everything without success.

Then I discovered Honda makes a part to adjust front camber. It is a shock mounting bolt turned down to allow +/- 0.5 degrees adjustment. It is called a "Service" part. It is #16 90120-STK-000 Bolt, Flange (16X62) (Service) $12.38 $8.6 from here:

https://www.hondapartsnow.com/parts-list/2015-honda-cr-v-5dr_ex-l_2wd_leather-ka-cvt/front-shock-absorber.html

I had one put in both sides to adjust camber to -0.1 degree on both wheels - no more pulling and much more responsive steering.

FrontCamberAdjustment.jpg

·
Registered
3,728 Posts

Then I discovered Honda makes a part to adjust front camber. It is a shock mounting bolt turned down to allow +/- 0.5 degrees adjustment. It is called a "Service" part. It is #16 90120-STK-000 Bolt, Flange (16X62) (Service) $12.38 $8.6 from here:

https://www.hondapartsnow.com/parts-list/2015-honda-cr-v-5dr_ex-l_2wd_leather-ka-cvt/front-shock-absorber.html

I had one put in both sides to adjust camber to -0.1 degree on both wheels - no more pulling and much more responsive steering.

View attachment 106266
Thanks for posting you fix. Could help others.
Buffalo4

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
My 2006 CRV also pulled to the left, I got where I didn't even notice it. I took it to a independent service mechanic and was unable to diagnose the problem. He did the same basic things, checked tires, balanced tires and rotated tires, checked the parts and so on and so forth. I owned the vehicle new till I sold it this past Sept. My new CRV does not appear to have that issue as well. Also as a side note, this problem did not get worse over time and there appeared to be no noticeable addition wear on the tires.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts

View attachment 106266
Thanks for this. It'll definitely will help others with the same problem

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
My 2006 CRV also pulled to the left, I got where I didn't even notice it. I took it to a independent service mechanic and was unable to diagnose the problem. He did the same basic things, checked tires, balanced tires and rotated tires, checked the parts and so on and so forth. I owned the vehicle new till I sold it this past Sept. My new CRV does not appear to have that issue as well. Also as a side note, this problem did not get worse over time and there appeared to be no noticeable addition wear on the tires.

2005 years & some 2006 models have problems with front strut that causes pull to the left. The tix is to replace both front struts.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts