Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, i hope someone can help me. I have a 2006 2.2 CDTI sport, 40k miles.

I bought it in January this year and within a few weeks noticed a throbbing sensation and noise when turning into my driveway. Took it back to the dealer and they changed the rear diff fluid. This seemed to smooth things out a great deal. However, i am still feeling a kind of pulsing/throbbing through the steering wheel when turning onto my drive. Is this just characteristic of the power steering system or something that needs looking at?

I am also experiencing a vibration through the steering wheel when braking hard from high speeds i.e.when coming to a roundabout on the motorway and also a squeaky clutch pedal. I am booked in next week to have these both looked at so will also mention above issue as well. Just wondered what you guys thought as i like to go in armed!!

p.s.i am not at all mechanically savvy!

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
pulsing sensation

Could be that your front brake rotors are warped. What that means is that the discs [when laid flat on a smooth surface] is/are not flat. [Kind of like what happened to old vinyl records when exposed to too much heat.] If you had "microscopic vision", you could stand your disc on edge & look down on the top. You might see that the disc has distortions along both surfaces. When your brake pads hit these distortions, they get bumped out of the way. This is what produces a pulsing motion every time the pads hit the "high" sides of the disc.

If this is so, your mechanic/dealership can probably turn/machine the rotors' surface until it is within specs. If too badly warped so that the machining process will remove too much of the rotor material, you'll have to replace the rotor itself. In addition, you might have to replace your brake pads. One of those items where it's better to spend money on the brakes of your vehicle to get the job done right, than to have to pay for the breaks on you when your vehicle can't/won't stop.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
thanks for responding. that's interesting as i had put the vibration when braking at speed down to warped rotors (after reading up about it). so the pulsing through the steering wheel when turning in my drive could all be part of the same problem? interesting. thanks again

·
Everything in Moderation
8,194 Posts
A low speed variation in turning effort could also indicate a bad tire. A good diagnostic is to rotate the tires back to front. If the symptom goes away it was a front tire. If not you have another issue (but I don't know what)...

PS: Uneven Wheel nut torque can cause steering vibration or brake rotor warping. I don't trust garages...I torque my own wheel nuts after I buy tires (soon as I get home). The spec is 74 foot pounds (uh, in Metric that's 11.1 Nm) :p

·
Registered
622 Posts
I would vote for warped rotors on the front because you mentioned the vibration at high speed which is usually the start and it will get progressively worse from there on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts