Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a combination key & remote for my 2003 CRV from the famous online auction site. It was the type that combines the key & remote into one, rather than having the two seperate which was the appeal to me. It looked quite nice, with a shiny silver "H" on it and had the regular functions of the typical remote - minus the panic button which I wasn't too concerned about. I programmed it myself sucessfully to unlock, lock and open the hatch window, as well I had it cut sucessfully and went to the Honda dealer to have the Immobilizer programed. This is where I ran into a problem. It would not take the code for it, meaning I can open the doors with the key and the remote, put the key in the ignition and get AUX functions (stereo / blower) but when attempting to start it will not go.

I am waiting for my mechanic from Honda to confirm there are no other options but I'm 99% I'm S.O.L. (I'm in another city 4800 km away which is why I didn't go to him).

I'm posting this as a heads up to anyone who is thinking of purchasing one of these. Altough I'm sure there is a forum about this somewhere which I should've checked prior to my purchase. I'm only out $25 for the key & remote plus the $30 fee (was $60, they cut it in half for me) at the dealership so I'm not too worried about it.

Cheers!

·
Registered
6 Posts
well that just SUCKS! where was this thread a week ago? :eek:

i too wanted the all in one key. it just arrived this morning. hopefully i can get a refund! :mad:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update

Yeah, sorry! I was frusterated and was trying to think of what to do.

But there is good news! I got it working, but at the expense of my valet key. I took it apart and used the immobilizer chip. I took my new key apart, carefully, noting how it was assembled. I removed the chip they supplied which didn't work, and installed mine from the valet key.

It works fine now! The only thing you need to do is have Honda or a locksmith cut the key as well as feeling confident enough to remove the chip without damaging it!

Be careful and patient and it will work. I now have 3 key sets, one is the key and remote combination which is nice. I didn't care about having a valet key and I could use one of the other spares for that anyway.

I hope this helps!

·
Registered
6 Posts
NICE!

i was thinking of doing the same thing if my key was un-programmable! but how do you take apart your valet key? i mean, it looks like its molded onto the key itself? :confused::confused:

·
Registered
51 Posts
are the keys different on the 1st gens? my step dad has a 04 civic with a totaly different style key then mine and i wanted one of the keys you described and now that i see this im unsure i should go with the pruchase

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just went through this with a 2005 V. I purchased two valet keys and two remote keys and took them to the dealer. They cut and programmed the valet keys no problem, the remote keys had the wrong chip in them. In spite of the fact that the ebay vendor swore that Honda only used 1 chip for all the cars apparently they do not. The way the immobilizer works is the key has a code in it that the car reads and it compares that code to the registered codes in the cars computer, no match, no start. So there are two chips that would work for my car. A T13 which has a code embedded in it and the dealer has to enter that code on the computer, or a T5 which can be cloned e.g. the same code that is on an existing working key is copied onto the T5. The 46 chip that was in the remotes I bought cannot be read by the car and hence do not work. I ended up having to buy two T13 chips and putting them into the remote keys.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have a 2003 CRV and I called my local Honda dealer service adviser to ask if they can make me an extra car key "all-on-one" design as the late model car key is and they said "No, we can't do that". They said they can't make the integrated key + remote all in one to work on my old 2003 because they aren't compatible. These are programmable chip and I don't understand why a programmable chip can't be programmed! Go figure.

They can however make my a key and a remote fob much like my original key and remote (but I don't want that)... for $150?

·
Premium Member
3,666 Posts
I have a 2003 CRV and I called my local Honda dealer service adviser to ask if they can make me an extra car key "all-on-one" design as the late model car key is and they said "No, we can't do that". They said they can't make the integrated key + remote all in one to work on my old 2003 because they aren't compatible. These are programmable chip and I don't understand why a programmable chip can't be programmed! Go figure.

They can however make my a key and a remote fob much like my original key and remote (but I don't want that)... for $150?
The keys are programmable...When paired with the correct immobilizer.

Honda immobilzer systems are not one size fits all. What may work on one vehicle may not work on another.

A perfect exmaple is my wifes Element. On a 2007 and later you can use a flip key with little or no modification. On her 2006 the immobilzer unit it not compatable and i would have to cut the existing chip out of one of her keys to get it to work.

In the case of your CRV it uses the same immobilzer unit as my Element meaning the flip key cannot be used.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts