Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a newbee here and the Mrs and I wil be buying our very first Honda CR-V.
This is a 2nd vehicle for my Wife so she doesn't have to drive our Silverado pick up day in day out helping preserve that new to us rig. (2016 Silverado High Country with the 6.2 liter and 8 speed transmission) Mainly to tow out boat around for the summer and snowmobiles in the winter months.
But, enough of the GM truck, lets talk Honda now. :D
It's a 1999 CR-V, being sold to us from the original owner.
It was purchased new from him in 99 in North Carolina, they later moved to Maine in the summer months and have never driven in winter with it.
This CR-V has 102k on the clock and you wouldn't believe the condition it is in. The undercarriage is flawless, ZERO rust (VERY rare for a car being sold in the Northeast) no leaks, dents etc. It's quite impressive for a car 18 years old.

Any inherent or known issues I should look into?
I do know the radiator along with the timing belt are both new within a year anyway.

Thanks in advance for any tips you can give.

Jeff B In Maine

·
Registered
772 Posts
Jeff, the biggest problem you will have is getting your wife OUT of the Honda once she drives it. Sounds like you found a jewel in your find. Mine is @ 219k and going strong with very cold ac. Good luck to you/yours, and post some pics when you can.
David g............:cool:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jeff, the biggest problem you will have is getting your wife OUT of the Honda once she drives it. Sounds like you found a jewel in your find. Mine is @ 219k and going strong with very cold ac. Good luck to you/yours, and post some pics when you can.
David g............:cool:
Great to hear David, thanks for the reply.

I will post up some pics as soon as I can.
Planning on picking it up tonight.

The Mrs had a 99 Jeep Wrangler and it too was in mint condition but to be honest, I really hated the ride of that darn thing. She liked it to some extent but it certainly wasn't anything you'd want to take on a long trip... say anything over 25 miles. ;)

I really think this little CR-V will be perfect vehicle for us/her.
She hates parking our Silverado at her work because the parking lot is so darn small and everyone has to park on each others door handle. Door dings are certainly going to happen at some point and we REALLY don't want that to happen to the new truck.
Actually, we don't want it to happen to any of our vehicles but if it's going to happen lets make sure it's not the new rig. :eek:

Below is a photo of the Silverado.
The previous tow vehicle was a Suburban so a smaller rig is a must for around town and work.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here are a few pics from my phone from yesterday.
Didn't realize Tapatalk was usable with this forum.
Excellent, makes things much easier.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Great looking CRV. It's in amazing condition for the age. I wish I could find something like that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great looking CRV. It's in amazing condition for the age. I wish I could find something like that.

Thank you,
my Wife and I are VERY happy to have found such a pristine CR-V with zero rust.

Last night we made the 70+ mile trek to pay for it as well as take it home.
I drove it back and I have to say, for an 18 year old car it drives, rides and handles quite nicely.
Everything works on this thing too which is a huge plus.
Air, power windows, remotes for doors, door locks, power mirrors, cruise control, radio, CD and cassette player... Well, not sure on the cassette player as I have to dig thru the attic at the house to even find a cassette. But rest assure I will. :)

As for the cruise control. I have to admit, it took me a few minutes to figure it out as I was driving. The button on the dash was hidden from my view from the left side of the steering wheel but once I located that I pushed it in, the light in the switch turned green and I hit the SET button on the steering wheel and set it for 75-77mph and took our new ride home in style.
Only negative I could see (or hear for that matter) was the wind noise from the roof rack on top of the car.

Other than that it was flawless.

Oh, one other plus. The seller even filled the fuel tank chock full for our journey home.
Super nice guy.

Jeff B In Maine

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
^^^That's great! You definitely bought from a super nice guy. Remove that roof rack and I'm sure it will be a lot more quiet.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
A few years ago, I teased my son-in-law when he paid $3,800 for a 2000 CRV with 140,000 miles on it. It now had around 210,000 miles on it and it has been a good and reliable car. The only issue I have with it is that it is underpowered for driving in the mountains where we live. On a few of the steep upgrades on our interstates, it will downshift with the cruise on and it strains on the steep side roads.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
The ones we had on our Chevy Suburban were a tad noisy when traveling over 50 miles per hour never mind 75-80mph.

Sent from my LGUS990 using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts