Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife just purchased this car and has been able to start her car and leave the house without her keys several times. Only a matter of time before she forgets to turn around and gets stuck somewhere. No alarms or anything go off letting us know the keys are out of distance. Any ideas on what we can do?

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
1,962 Posts
Nothing you can do, once you start the car you can drive away without the key. Similar to someone else who was at a restaurant. The valet brought his car, he jump in and drove away. However the valet still had the fob in his pocket....If your better half carries a purse attach the fob to the purse. They never forget their purse.

·
Registered
282 Posts
My wife just purchased this car and has been able to start her car and leave the house without her keys several times. Only a matter of time before she forgets to turn around and gets stuck somewhere. No alarms or anything go off letting us know the keys are out of distance. Any ideas on what we can do?
Dont leave the fob so close to the car then. I dont know how close you park the car to the house but we park at the front driveway. Even if our fob is at the front door it does not have enough range to start the car.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Weird. My Toyota starts screaming key not detected as soon as it's out of range. Should be mandatory.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Weird. My Toyota starts screaming key not detected as soon as it's out of range. Should be mandatory.
This is what my Mazda 3 does as well. It was really weird to me that the car has no warning system once the key fob is out of range. Seems like a real miss by Honda here a company that has only ever impressed me with their vehicles.

Going to try what IlovemyHonda said and see if that works.

·
Registered
26 Posts
You could remove the battery from one of the key-fobs,and remove the key from that key-fob, and then put that key-fob in the glove box and lock it. Then hide the key under the vehicle where she could get to it.

Then if she gets somewhere and does not have the usual key-fob with her, she could remove the key from under the vehicle and use it to lock, and or unlock the vehicle and to unlock the glove box. Then she can use the key-fob from the glove box without a battery by placing it very close to the start/stop button. There is a near field coil in the start/stop button that sends out a small magnetic field that will energize the key-fob even without a battery in it, and while it is very close to the start button she will be able to start the vehicle, and then drive it normally.

If you do the above, put the key-fob without battery in something to hide it even though the glove box will be locked. You could put it in the palm of a glove and but the pair of gloves in the glove box.

·
Registered
26 Posts
It is smart to wrap the key in plastic wrap shush as the kind used in kitchens, and then wrap that in water-proof tape such as electric tape. And then hide that under the vehicle. You can fold over the ends of gorilla duck-tape so the tape is easy to start to remove and tape it in place with that.

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you have never changed a battery in a key-fob there are some YouTube videos on how to do it so that you are careful to hold the front of the key-fob always downward and not cause the parts to come apart. Once you remove the back there is nothing holding pressure on the small printed circuit board and it and the buttons can all fall out if you are not careful to keep the front facing downward. So have the front facing down before you start to dis-assemble it, and keep it facing down until after you get the back put back on it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
BTW, I forgot she will not need the key to lock it. It can be locked without the key-fob or key, which means she can lock her self out of the vehicle without the key-fob.

·
Registered
10 Posts
What year is it? My wife’s ‘16 EX beeps and shows the key symbol on the dash wherever I start it and walk away with the fob.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What year is it? My wife’s ‘16 EX beeps and shows the key symbol on the dash wherever I start it and walk away with the fob.
thats what my wife has maybe not ex though but you would think it would be a standard thing. I’ll need to check her fuses and see if that’s the issue. Thanks for this at least I know now there is an alarm and it just needs to be fixed

·
Registered
10 Posts
Method, I tried to add a video but it wouldn’t allow me to. Here is the link to the video. I get an alarm tone and it flashes no key on the odometer.
It does it as soon as I get out of the car as shut the door. I’ll see what happens when I crank it and leave the door open and walk away.

UPDATE: If you crank the vehicle and walk away with the drivers door open you do not receive an alarm!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts