Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2017 CRV Touring a few months ago and when I try to put the back seats down there is a good size gap between the headrest and the back of the front seats. I had my dogs in the car and put my brake on and one of my dogs slid into the opening and onto the floor of the back seat and couldn't get his balance to get back up and he is not a small dog, he's a 55 lb lab. Any advice would be helpful, thank you!

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
I believe the headrests have a up/down adjustment. Check your owners manual.

·
1,947 Posts
There are devices to prevent just this issue. I see ads for them on Fb all the time. Sturdy pads that store behind the seat, then deploy when needed. They also have these for when the back seats are left up, to cover the lower back seat footwell area. You might ask at your local pet center or look online for more information.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I believe the headrests have a up/down adjustment. Check your owners manual.
I will double check but I believe they only went up straight, I brought it to the dealer who said that's how they are. I wouldn't have bought this car if I knew my dog could go flying down the gap and have trouble getting out while I'm driving. Thanks for your input, I will recheck to see if the headrests move, I know there is only 1 button and that's to lower the seats.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Are your dogs in harnesses and secured?

Ours sit on the back seat strapped in. We have a padded seat cover that offers more traction.

I imagine if you were taller the seat would be back further and there wouldn’t be a large gap.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
What vehicle, with a fold-down rear seat, doesn’t have a space between the rear headrest and front seat back???? The rear of our RAV4 is the same as our CRV, when the back seat is down.

Maybe go easier on the brakes or get creative filling the gap or put something down that gives your dogs more traction......for your dogs sake. Give it a little thought......then you will be able to enjoy your CRV while keeping your dogs safe.

Remember........dogs rule.

·
1,947 Posts
I wouldn't have bought this car if I knew my dog could go flying down the gap and have trouble getting out while I'm driving.
I think you would find it a challenge to find a car that does not have this issue with fold-down seats. Of course, you could get an Odyssey mini-van, which is much more dog friendly, but not as fuel friendly. Most min-van back seats fold neatly into the floor, but if there are any cars or SUVs like that I haven't seen one. Also, ondarvr made a good point about the safety thing. States are getting much stricter quickly about securing your animals and keeping them safe from harm. Where I live you are now about as legally liable for injuries to pets as to children, up to and including felony charges with prison terms.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I’m 6’3”, so when I fold down the rear seats in just about any car I need to move my seat forward so the rear seat will lay down completely. There is no gap.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are your dogs in harnesses and secured?

Ours sit on the back seat strapped in. We have a padded seat cover that offers more traction.

I imagine if you were taller the seat would be back further and there wouldn’t be a large gap.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My dogs usually are harnessed with a leash like thing that attaches to the harness and goes around the headrest but this particular time I hadn't done it. I just feel for any reason the back should go close to the back of the front seats. I'm 5'6" and my husband is 5'11" so we aren't that short. Thank you for responding!

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Bed pillows between the headrests and seat back???? Bet your dogs would like their own MyPillow.🤷‍♂️

Dogs rule.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts