Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered a PWJDM carbon fiber Power Chamber "whale penis" intake today for my 1999 CRV EX. I've wanted one ever since my last civic. I havent really seen many CRV's online with one installed. And the pictures that I HAVE seen arent very good pictures. I want to know if there are anybody out there in CRVOC with one installed, and IF SO please post pictures of them! I'm super excited for it to get here. I'll DEFINATELY post pictures of mine installed once it arrives. Might even take some step by step pictures. Removing the stock airbox, intake tube, etc. I was taking a look, and it looks to me like the stock CRV intake system wraps in and around the whole front passenger corner of the car! Almost does like a "U" shape around the frame behind the front bumper, etc. Thats a LOT of plastic and whatnot I will be removing. Will probably have to really clean up the frame below the airbox really good, since it will ALL be exposed once i remove it. I can't wait though. I bet the carbon "whale penis" is going to REALLY make the CRV engine/bay look great!!! LETS SEE YOUR PWJDM POWER CHAMBER PICTURES!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
NICE! I have a 99, so it has the UFO pancake style intake manifold that sits on top of the normal intake. Is your the 94-01 Integra LS/RS/TYPE-R one? That is the one i ordered at least. And i'm hoping it works out. SHOULD. I DO have plans on throwing a Skunk2 intake manifold, and throttlebody on next. But am really hoping the PWJDM intake made for the B18 LS engine works perfect. The LS head is basically the exact same as the B20

·
Registered
24 Posts
Mine is for a '92-'00 Civic. Fits perfect since I have the early model Intake Manifold.

Since you have a later model with the smaller intake manifold, you should be good with the DC Teg one. I would just worry about it rubbing the strut tower or the brackets for the harness there. Mine literally sits perfect and tight as a virgin. I left the lower intake valence and the filter holds itself up on it. I like it, but its just slower until 3krpms.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SLOWER? uh oh. I cant deal with SLOWER. maybe just because its waiting to suck air into the manifold. PLUS the 97-98 CRV's WERE slower. they upped the compression and the new 99-01 style intake manifold ALSO added 20 more HP. Thats why i went with the 99-01 when looking for my crv. I spend almost a MONTH trying to find a 99-01 FIVE SPEED crv. And i MAINLY wanted the EX. i didnt want steel wheels. And I also wanted to be able to fold my seats all down FLAT to camp. So my patience and hunting paid off! Found it around 1.5 hours away from me. This lady started having complications in her left leg nerve and caused her to have to sell it to fund an automatic CRV. So i lucked out. She was in her late 50's and the CRV was in VERY clean condition. I detailed it, pressure washed the engine, and it came out looking like it just came off the showroom yesterday. I was very pleased with it. And LOVE my new CRV. Gen1 CRV's have something about them that is addicting. I actually LOVE driving it. It feels like an over-sized 96-00 Civic. And being 5 speed it feels nice and sporty. I LOVE MY CRV!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Same here.

I had a laundry list of civic and integras.

My deal was too good to pass up. '98 w/ 150k Miles, 5spd AWD for $2500. Running and in great condition. Just came with that god awful red Honda paint that always fades.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, my PWJDM whale penis came today! Tomorrow I plan on removing my stock intake/airbox and installing it. I will take a few pictures along the way, and post them. Just sitting the new intake on top of the oem CRV intake, I can tell it should fit great, and look even better! Will post the pictures tomorrow morning :) I'm excited

·
Registered
21 Posts
Here are the pictures of my PWJDM intake! Let me know what you think
it looks great but does it "really" do anything other than noise and a little more torque at higher rpms? I took out my cold air intake...drove for one day and it annoyed the shiat out of me, (maybe because it's a mini auto suv so it's not meant to sound that way not like my manual integras and civics that I've put one in, in which felt normal to be like that) it felt a little slower...either that or a lil more ummph at higher rpms. So i put back my stock w/ drop in filter and I always feel more smoother accel. and better power the way the it's suppose to be with it compared to the cold air intake. I don't know maybe that's just me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here are a couple cleaner pictures of the PWJDM Power Chamber that i took with an actual HD digital camera instead of my iPhone. Skunk2 Intake manifold, and throttle body next. THEN it should start coming together nicely. That CRV Intake Manifold i've never cared for the looks.

·
Registered
39 Posts
What you added is a HOT Air intake that will do little more than make noise. With the filter exposed and adjacent to the manifold you are not gaining anything measurable.

The stock airbox with a flat panel K&N will isolate the the air from the heat under the hood better than that arrangement. You need to get the filter out of the engine compartment and down lower so you can draw cooler more dense air. A trip to the hardware store for some PVC, couplings, and elbows and a little ingenuity could yield far better results.

·
Registered
21 Posts
What you added is a HOT Air intake that will do little more than make noise. With the filter exposed and adjacent to the manifold you are not gaining anything measurable.

The stock airbox with a flat panel K&N will isolate the the air from the heat under the hood better than that arrangement. You need to get the filter out of the engine compartment and down lower so you can draw cooler more dense air. A trip to the hardware store for some PVC, couplings, and elbows and a little ingenuity could yield far better results.
I just recently put in a cold air intake from a civic...and it made noise...and sucked ass but it looked cool...so i went back to my drop in filter, now it's way better that way.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My other car is turbo'ed.

I say this because people are using terms on here that are wrong.

It is NOT a "Cold Air Intake" when it is a floating air filter inside the engine bay. It is sucking more hot air from the engine then anything else. Even if you put the snorkel from the hot side floating in the inside of the bay. This includes the "short ram air" (which is what you have) that I see many honda and chevy folks use.

If you want a real "Cold Air Intake", you need to fab a snorkel from the outside of the car (or use the orgional snorkel), make a filtering Chamber and then to the throttle body.

If your going for looks, then that is fine. Just remember this rule of thumb. Cold air burns hotter and will give more HP. Hot air will not burn as much (less oxygen in Hot air then Cold air) will mess with everything in the car.

With turbo cars, burning hot air like this can even kill the MAF, O2 sensors, coil packs, plugs, N75 valves, etc...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts