Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Honda CRV 2019 2.4L CVT Touring
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm currently living in the Middle East where the roads primarily have sand during most seasons of the year and during the winter it rains as well.
I was actually planning to install splash/mudguards (set of 4 pieces) on my new Honda CRV 2019 - Touring model. I just wanted to ask whether would it be beneficial or not. My earlier Honda CRV 2009 had splash/guards installed by factory default.
However, after checking with the dealership they informed me that they don't come as standard on all CRV trims and need to be installed as an accessory. They informed me that drilling would be required on the rear bumper in order to install the rear two splash/mudguards on either sides. I'm a bit afraid that drilling might damage or weaken the rear bumper during/after the installation primarily because of the narrow edges of the bumper. Can someone please advise me on the topic?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Definently fit them as they keep the majority of muck finding its way into the front door inner sills. I fitted a set of Honda lookalikes that I got off e bay for less than £20. They were OK but I subsequently changed the front set for Weathertech guards and they provide better coverage.

Fitted both sets myself really easily and didn't have to drill any holes on the Honda. Any screws or bolts are fixed to predefined grommets already located around the wheel arch.

I think Dark Knight has posted that standard guards don't fit if a body kit is fitted. I should also check that the dealer isn't trying to fit non standard generic guards as they may need additional holes drilled.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I'm currently living in the Middle East where the roads primarily have sand during most seasons of the year and during the winter it rains as well.
I was actually planning to install splash/mudguards (set of 4 pieces) on my new Honda CRV 2019 - Touring model. I just wanted to ask whether would it be beneficial or not. My earlier Honda CRV 2009 had splash/guards installed by factory default.
However, after checking with the dealership they informed me that they don't come as standard on all CRV trims and need to be installed as an accessory. They informed me that drilling would be required on the rear bumper in order to install the rear two splash/mudguards on either sides. I'm a bit afraid that drilling might damage or weaken the rear bumper during/after the installation primarily because of the narrow edges of the bumper. Can someone please advise me on the topic?
A put a set on a US model. 2017.

I didn't have to drill. You have to put a pinhole in part of the plastic. I used a pick tool and punched a hold in the trim per instructions.

Step 7 -They used a push pin. Doesn't look like instructions are different between years.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Definently fit them as they keep the majority of muck finding its way into the front door inner sills. I fitted a set of Honda lookalikes that I got off e bay for less than £20. They were OK but I subsequently changed the front set for Weathertech guards and they provide better coverage.

Fitted both sets myself really easily and didn't have to drill any holes on the Honda. Any screws or bolts are fixed to predefined grommets already located around the wheel arch.

I think Dark Knight has posted that standard guards don't fit if a body kit is fitted. I should also check that the dealer isn't trying to fit non standard generic guards as they may need additional holes drilled.
Please advise me which model of mudguards would be better to purchase & install on my CRV - the one available on Ali Express.com (Cost around 29 USD, Honda Genuine (Cost around 49 USD or the Weathertech ones (Cost around 80 USD)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Ali Express ones are virtually identical to Hondas except fixings are poor quality and rust quickly. Replacement Black Stainless Steel fixings are readily available and cheap although I'm not too sure you'll be bothered with rust in the Middle East.

For better protection and they look right I'd go with the Weathertech. Excellent quality although I couldn't get them to deliver to UK. I had a friend bring them across in his luggage.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Please advise me which model of mudguards would be better to purchase & install on my CRV - the one available on Ali Express.com (Cost around 29 USD, Honda Genuine (Cost around 49 USD or the Weathertech ones (Cost around 80 USD)
Honda or Weathertech

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Ali Express ones are virtually identical to Hondas except fixings are poor quality and rust quickly. Replacement Black Stainless Steel fixings are readily available and cheap although I'm not too sure you'll be bothered with rust in the Middle East.

For better protection and they look right I'd go with the Weathertech. Excellent quality although I couldn't get them to deliver to UK. I had a friend bring them across in his luggage.
Hi, Charlie, you had earlier advised me on 1st April to purchase the splash/mug guards and install them on my CRV. However, I checked with my Honda dealership today and they told me that it would only be useful in the rainy season. They have it in stock but informed me that none of the other CRV owners asked for them mainly because it rarely rains here in the Middle East. I can say that it rains for just around 15-20 days all year round.
The roads here are mostly dry and made from excellent asphalt. I do encounter fine gravel and sand on the roads and also park my car on fine gravel and sandy areas. So in this scenario would it still be necessary and useful in my country's environment where I reside in?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Hello Guys,
I purchased the genuine Honda mudflaps from my Honda dealership for 44 US $ including 5% VAT today. However the dealership told me that the labor cost was additional 40 US $ and would take around an hour or so to install. I feel that it isn't economical to install there and would it be fine/advisable to install them in local repair workshops/garages who would charge me significantly much lesser. Need your advise as I'm confused to whom I should choose to install them with.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hello Guys,
I purchased the genuine Honda mudflaps from my Honda dealership for 44 US $ including 5% VAT today. However the dealership told me that the labor cost was additional 40 US $ and would take around an hour or so to install. I feel that it isn't economical to install there and would it be fine/advisable to install them in local repair workshops/garages who would charge me significantly much lesser. Need your advise as I'm confused to whom I should choose to install them with.
Install them yourself. Instructions readily available on various Honda accessory websites so check them out before spending money with a third party.

I still would have waited to see if you need them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought mine off eBay for $18. Fitment was pretty good for aftermarket. Only issue was the rear. It came with screws but the hole is too big and no clip was included where as the OEM ones come with bigger clips to accommodate the bigger hole. I contacted the seller and they refunded me the full amount. So I essentially got mudguards for free. Not worth paying OEM or even WeatherTech for something that is plastic. The rear mud guards aren't budging. Worse case, I'll use zip tie to add extra stability.

The install was fairly simple. The collegehills link has instructions and should be the same regardless of what brand of mud guards you get.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I've got a '19 and it's been problem free except for a little weirdness with the infotainment system. But it always fixes itself.

Check the manufacturer tag on the driver's door frame. Where and when was it assembled?
Would the dealer let you open the hood of other Touring cars in-stock to verify if the insulator is on THOSE cars?

If you feel that you need one, don't forget to order the attaching clips.

PS: You say it's a 2019. Was it sitting in stock for a while?
I have no idea how CRVs are configured for the middle east market, much less how they handle dealers and sales. But different regions ARE handled differently in terms of exact features included in any trim level. A lot of this is driven by local regulations and requirements for motor vehicles.

So...what features are present in the Touring Trim, and what comes "standard" varies by regional market. Just because a vehicle is produced in the Ohio plant, does not mean it will have all the listed US version features. Even for the North America plants.. they produce different versions for the US and Canadian markets.

If it was produced for specific export to the Middle East, it will in fact be produced to the specs for the region it is being exported to. Does the middle east market have vehicles produced specifically for their region?.. or does the middle east simply rely on regional configurations for the EU or Asia markets??

If this was indeed a US spec vehicle, and simply purchased and exported by a local dealer on their own... your issue is with that dealer. But as another post above noted... go check some other Touring CRVs at your local dealer, and see if they all have it missing. If so.. tough luck. If not.. then you have a case with the dealer.
I bought mine off eBay for $18. Fitment was pretty good for aftermarket. Only issue was the rear. It came with screws but the hole is too big and no clip was included where as the OEM ones come with bigger clips to accommodate the bigger hole. I contacted the seller and they refunded me the full amount. So I essentially got mudguards for free. Not worth paying OEM or even WeatherTech for something that is plastic. The rear mud guards aren't budging. Worse case, I'll use zip tie to add extra stability.

The install was fairly simple. The collegehills link has instructions and should be the same regardless of what brand of mud guards you get.
Thank you all 4 participants for your esteemed support. I already got my OEM Honda mudguards installed by the dealership today afternoon. I paid 28.00 US $ as labor charges which was the discounted rate. For your information in the Middle East region, only one exhaust comes with the CRV which is on the right-hand side. They installed the front side mudguards perfectly however used one factory screw which came with the car and one screw which came along with each of the front mudguards. Then, I found a discrepancy with the installation of the rear ones. I observed that the mudguard which was installed on the right-hand side has a gap between the inner fender (liner) say around 5cms and a bit of the exhaust muffler is even seen. The mudguard on the left-hand side looks perfect as there are zero gaps visible. On both sides, they have bolted the mudguard from underneath the bumper. I have attached the inner view photos for both rear mudguards. I have taken them at different angles so you can see the gap which I'm referring to.
I'm surprised about this so I wish to know the feedback and opinions from you'll guys since you'll too have installed the rear mud-guards.
Please share your front and rear mudguard photos (photos taken from inside view) if you can, It would certainly help me to spot any differences and if any exists I can report the error in installation committed by the dealership.

Attachments

·
Registered
191 Posts
Here are the OEM ones on my 2020 touring. They all come with them installed in Canada.
front left, rear left, rear right, front right. There is a gap at the right rear, maybe 1 cm and left rear maybe .5 cm but I don’t see a problem with that. B6D50AC9-425F-48D4-8655-2021FBE4DCDC.jpeg 580F64DC-2A9D-4889-991A-D3036F04EAEA.jpeg 7FDF56C9-2164-4737-AADC-06582C3A32B2.jpeg 822EE16E-E051-4525-B339-ECF1F748BC43.jpeg

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
8,457 Posts
You Canadians get a lot of Good Stuff.

We bought Canadian mud flaps (gravel protectors) for our '81 Civic, because they were longer/lower than those made for the USA.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
front and rear splashguards come included on all trims in Canada, at least for 2020.
Ok that's great for you'll Canadians.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You Canadians get a lot of Good Stuff.

We bought Canadian mud flaps (gravel protectors) for our '81 Civic, because they were longer/lower than those made for the USA.
Can you please share your CRV 2017-2020 mudguards installation inner part photos. I have viewed the Canadian CRV mudguard photos which Nuke has shared. I see a big difference in the height of the mudguard from the inner part in comparison to mine that's why requesting you to share yours. If you can't share please request somebody else having a USA CRV to share theirs.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts