Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
Honda CRV 2019 2.4L CVT Touring
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Dear All,
Please clarify whether the following is possible for the Touring trim.
If I keep the vehicle engine idling and exit to go somewhere (say for a couple of minutes) can I lock it remotely using the smart Key fob in hand? Also when I return to the vehicle can I unlock the vehicle remotely using the smart key fob in hand while it's still idling. I tried this but it doesn't work. This option is available on the full option Nissan Rogue/Nissan X-Trail with their intelligent key fob.
This situation would be ideal in some situations especially on a hot summers day or cold winters day when you need the AC or heater in operation. i.e when the driver wants to exit the car say to visit the local store just to pick something necessary quick like say a drink/water or whatever. I feel that the car should have remain on and only move further if the driver returns with the smart key fob otherwise there should be a cut off time say about 5-10 minutes maximum for safety purposes as you described.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Use the armrest control to lock all other doors, while the driver's side door is open. Before existing, simultaneously pull the driver's inside door handle and push the lock. Close the door. Use your key to unlock the door, upon return.

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
If you can not think about it then its not possible sounds like a fortune cookie.

I can Simply roll thewindow down , close the door, Lock it and roll the window up, moving the hand fast. and whe nreturn use the Key. forgot to do that in this clip Lol.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,575 Posts
Dear All,
If I keep the vehicle engine idling and exit to go somewhere (say for a couple of minutes) can I lock it remotely using the smart Key fob in hand? Also when I return to the vehicle can I unlock the vehicle remotely using the smart key fob in hand while it's still idling. I tried this but it doesn't work. This option is available on the full option Nissan Rogue/Nissan X-Trail with their intelligent key fob.
Then you answered your own question. What Nissan does or does not do... is irrelevant. ;)

A better question in return to you would be... why do you want to do this? What possible purpose does it serve other than to leave your vehicle at risk for theft. Lucky for you.. Hondas will only go about a block away from the keyfob before shutting down.

Hondas will send out an alert tone if you exit the vehicle, close the door and walk away. There is a reason for this... they don't want you leaving an unattended vehicle running while you are not in it.

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
8,162 Posts
Dear All,
Genuine question - do you think its wise or safe to be leaving your vehicle running while you are away from it for a couple of minutes, regardless of whether its locked or not?

Not sure of the benefit of your question.

Also, what about the heightened risk(s) of an opportunistic thief who sees an empty car but with an engine running? I'm sure they might take their chance, pop the window and try to make off with the car. Way too risky.

Anything that needs the driver to be away from the car for more than 2 seconds surely needs the engine turning off and ensure the car is locked. That would be the sensible precaution to take.

Reactions: williamsji

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Genuine question - do you think its wise or safe to be leaving your vehicle running while you are away from it for a couple of minutes, regardless of whether its locked or not?

Also, what about the heightened risk(s) of an opportunistic thief who sees an empty car but with an engine running? I'm sure they might take their chance, pop the window and try to make off with the car. Way too risky.

Anything that needs the driver to be away from the car for more than 2 seconds surely needs the engine turning off and ensure the car is locked. That would be the sensible precaution to take.
I also added the reason to this to my question

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This situation would be ideal in some situations especially on a hot summers day or cold winters day when you need the AC or heater in operation. i.e when the driver wants to exit the car say to visit the local store just to pick something necessary quick like say a drink/water or whatever. I feel that the car should have remain on and only move further if the driver returns with the smart key fob otherwise there should be a cut off time say about 5-10 minutes maximum for safety purposes as you described.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Then you answered your own question. What Nissan does or does not do... is irrelevant. ;)

A better question in return to you would be... why do you want to do this? What possible purpose does it serve other than to leave your vehicle at risk for theft. Lucky for you.. Hondas will only go about a block away from the keyfob before shutting down.

Hondas will send out an alert tone if you exit the vehicle, close the door and walk away. There is a reason for this... they don't want you leaving an unattended vehicle running while you are not in it.
The reason for this is added to my question now.

·
Registered
491 Posts
The remote start on your Touring trim will do all of the above. In addition the car can't be stolen if someone breaks into it while engine is running under this condition.

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
8,162 Posts
5-10 mins of wasted fuel. And what if you end up in a massive queue in store, but you also want that drink etc? Way too risky.

I'll politely disagree with you on this one. If a person needs to visit a convenience store etc, they should be parked up and locked up with the engine off.

·
Registered
2019 CR-V Hybrid SR Crystal Red Metallic
413 Posts
The remote start on your Touring trim will do all of the above. In addition the car can't be stolen if someone breaks into it while engine is running under this condition.
I can understand why you want to leave AC or heating running but in UK and I imagine a lot of environmentally aware countries it is illegal to do so. This probably explains why it's not standard across the range and only available on certain trims or options within different countries.

This is taken from UK Gov website;

On a public road, it indeed is illegal to sit in your car whilst keeping the engine running within the UK. ... 'You MUST NOT leave a parked vehicle unattended with the engine running or leave a vehicle engine running unnecessarily while that vehicle is stationary on a public road'.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can understand why you want to leave AC or heating running but in UK and I imagine a lot of environmentally aware countries it is illegal to do so. This probably explains why it's not standard across the range and only available on certain trims or options within different countries.

This is taken from UK Gov website;

On a public road, it indeed is illegal to sit in your car whilst keeping the engine running within the UK. ... 'You MUST NOT leave a parked vehicle unattended with the engine running or leave a vehicle engine running unnecessarily while that vehicle is stationary on a public road'.
Ok. Then with the remote start feature built into the Touring trim ?. I meant how is that feature permitted because if its used then the outcome is similar.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
Dear All,
If you are going to post a vehicle issue or question, PLEASE INCLUDE THE YEAR AS WELL AS THE TRIM LEVEL AND YOUR LOCATION IN THE POST!!! This forum incorporates coverage of hundreds of versions of the CR-V, world wide and over 25 years. Literally every one is different. Without those three critical pieces of information it is impossible for anyone to help you.

If you don't wish to do this, here's a suggestion. Go to your Account Settings and put the information in your Signature. If you look at the bottom of my post you can see in my signature line my name, a complete description of my CR-V, and my location. Se how convenient that is? Once you've done it, it will be there on your every post, and the rest of us will no longer have to make wild guesses. I went and looked, and in your 49 posts so far you mentioned the year one time. Once. No location either. We can see the flag but it is microscopic and unidentifiable in any case. Please help us help you by taking care of this. Thanks. I don't know how this is for the other members but I see hundreds of these a week, so I may be somewhat sensitive to the issue. :cool:

As to the topic, that's educational that the UK has this law. In the US it is common practice, especially in cold or otherwise inclement weather, for folks to lock their cars and leave them running while going to the ice house on the way to work, or other stops. It's one of the main reasons the key fob was invented in the first place. These days there may be environmental concerns, and new laws here too, but nobody cares, they do what they've always done. I expect this will change over time, but I doubt I'll live to see it. Also, I'm a retired big truck driver, and spent years living in a truck. Drivers who live in trucks never shut them off, because if they are parked it's because they are sleeping inside and need the heat or A/C. SO, even though new laws forbid it and new trucks have built in shutdowns, those get bypassed. The only solution that works is the new feature in some trucks where they have an RV-type motorized generator to allow them to power the heat and A/C without running the truck's engine. Interestingly, though, these use more fuel and make more pollution than the main engines do. Nice. Oh, well, hopefully over time they will refine it. Things do change, but they do so very slowly.

·
Registered
2019 CR-V Hybrid SR Crystal Red Metallic
413 Posts
Ok. Then with the remote start feature built into the Touring trim ?. I meant how is that feature permitted because if its used then the outcome is similar.
Do you have the same restrictions in your region on parked vehicles as UK. If yes, there's your answer. If no you should have bought a different car which has these features.

Whether you can retrofit is a question for the dealer.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Do you have the same restrictions in your region on parked vehicles as UK. If yes, there's your answer. If no you should have bought a different car which has these features.

Whether you can retrofit is a question for the dealer.
No restrictions as such in the Middle East and I never heard of such a thing ever over here.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you are going to post a vehicle issue or question, PLEASE INCLUDE THE YEAR AS WELL AS THE TRIM LEVEL AND YOUR LOCATION IN THE POST!!! This forum incorporates coverage of hundreds of versions of the CR-V, world wide and over 25 years. Literally every one is different. Without those three critical pieces of information it is impossible for anyone to help you.

If you don't wish to do this, here's a suggestion. Go to your Account Settings and put the information in your Signature. If you look at the bottom of my post you can see in my signature line my name, a complete description of my CR-V, and my location. Se how convenient that is? Once you've done it, it will be there on your every post, and the rest of us will no longer have to make wild guesses. I went and looked, and in your 49 posts so far you mentioned the year one time. Once. No location either. We can see the flag but it is microscopic and unidentifiable in any case. Please help us help you by taking care of this. Thanks. I don't know how this is for the other members but I see hundreds of these a week, so I may be somewhat sensitive to the issue. :cool:

As to the topic, that's educational that the UK has this law. In the US it is common practice, especially in cold or otherwise inclement weather, for folks to lock their cars and leave them running while going to the ice house on the way to work, or other stops. It's one of the main reasons the key fob was invented in the first place. These days there may be environmental concerns, and new laws here too, but nobody cares, they do what they've always done. I expect this will change over time, but I doubt I'll live to see it. Also, I'm a retired big truck driver, and spent years living in a truck. Drivers who live in trucks never shut them off, because if they are parked it's because they are sleeping inside and need the heat or A/C. SO, even though new laws forbid it and new trucks have built in shutdowns, those get bypassed. The only solution that works is the new feature in some trucks where they have an RV-type motorized generator to allow them to power the heat and A/C without running the truck's engine. Interestingly, though, these use more fuel and make more pollution than the main engines do. Nice. Oh, well, hopefully over time they will refine it. Things do change, but they do so very slowly.
I have done the profile change and updated it now. Thanks for the tip. Cheers.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Hondas will only go about a block away from the keyfob before shutting down.
I've never heard of the engine stopping if the key fob is removed from the vehicle. The Owners Manual says:
"If the smart entry remote is taken out of the vehicle after the engine has been started, you can no longer change the ENGINE START/STOP button mode or restart the engine."

It would be dangerous for the engine to unexpectedly stop if the vehicle lost contact with the fob. The manual notes that only audio and visual (Keyless Remote Not Detected) alarms are generated when contact is lost.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
I have done the profile change and updated it now. Thanks for the tip. Cheers.
Looks great! Now your issues will always be in full context. So, maybe I see why your question. Your Gen 3 will do this but the new Gen 5 won't, right? Not sure how yours is configured, the details of that may be buried somewhere in your owner's manual. But, the thing is, in many areas of the world these days, new laws are coming into play that prohibit vehicle engine idling. So it may be very much dependent on the region your car was specifically made for as to how it is set up, in order for Honda to comply with those regulations. You may have to find a knowledgeable mechanic who knows how to bypass this.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Looks great! Now your issues will always be in full context. So, maybe I see why your question. Your Gen 3 will do this but the new Gen 5 won't, right? Not sure how yours is configured, the details of that may be buried somewhere in your owner's manual. But, the thing is, in many areas of the world these days, new laws are coming into play that prohibit vehicle engine idling. So it may be very much dependent on the region your car was specifically made for as to how it is set up, in order for Honda to comply with those regulations. You may have to find a knowledgeable mechanic who knows how to bypass this.
No actually never tried this on the Gen 3 reason being there was only a key fob with remote feature so if the engine was running the key fob had to be in the ignition so I presume there was no chance this would work. The reason I asked this question because its competitor in the same SUV segment Nissan Rogue/Nissan X-Trail smart intelligent key system has this cool feature. The driver should take the smart key fob with him and just press the button outside the door after he exits to lock all doors. When he returns he needs to press the button once again to enter provided the key fob is in hand.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
I've never heard of the engine stopping if the key fob is removed from the vehicle. The Owners Manual says:
"If the smart entry remote is taken out of the vehicle after the engine has been started, you can no longer change the ENGINE START/STOP button mode or restart the engine."

It would be dangerous for the engine to unexpectedly stop if the vehicle lost contact with the fob. The manual notes that only audio and visual (Keyless Remote Not Detected) alarms are generated when contact is lost.
Have you read the owner's manual for the Bahrain CR-V, or even the US one? Are you assuming that the car and/or the manual are the same as yours? Is this more dangerous than the new collision avoidance system that can slam on your brakes at random with no warning?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts