Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Honda CRV 2019 2.4L CVT Touring
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have purchased a new Honda CRV 2019 model. My dealership has informed me that the stock tires come with regular tire air, not nitrogen. The local garages and tire shops & tire dealers suggested me to refill all four tires with nitrogen gas. Please share your views and comments if this would be beneficial and the reasons for proving the same.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,487 Posts
Been discussed numerous times here in the forum.. and for most of us here.. the conclusion is nitrogen is a waste.

It's sole advantage in my view is lower oxidation on the internals of the tire, since nitrogen is non-oxidizing. But since the outside of the tires is where most oxidation takes place any way.. what is the point.

If you are driving a performance race car with racing tires and everything else you can apply to make micro-benefits in total performance while racing... nitrogen probably makes sense. But for a consumer vehicle is is largely expensive "snake oil".

Unless you have a nitrogen bottle yourself... anytime you need to top up the psi on your tires (all tires bleed a litttle air over time).. you either contaminate the nitrogen with air at a local air pump, or you have to run back to some service center just to get some nitrogen to top up psi.

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
Nitrogon are they green caps? and you like to pay for air be our guest, not us I rather have the same moisture in so Dry rott does not happen earlier.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Free air is 78% nitrogen, but that’s not good enough for me. I’ll pay anything to get that extra 22%.
I want only oxygen in the combustion cylinders. I’m hoping someone will sell me compressed oxygen to hook up to my engine intake, so I don’t draw in that useless 78% nitrogen air. Maybe I’ll invent a Car gadget to separate the oxygen from nitrogen, and send pure oxygen to the engine and the rest to the tires.

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
so you'll lose air if its regular air when it gets cold we get that.

·
Registered
2017 EX-L AWD
122 Posts
Your mileage may vary. I don't lose sleep over it.

Our '19 HR-V's tires are filled with the air that was in a factory Mexico last year. Our '17 CR-V's replacement tires bought at Costco are filled with nitrogen. I have gone back to Costco to get them topped up with N2 as they are very quick to do it, and Costco is close by.

An engineer acquaintance who works in R&D at a large tire company mentioned the benefit of nitrogen being dry, and not promoting oxidation of steel belts, etc. as it permeates out through the tire. I have no idea over what time that would be significant.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
An engineer acquaintance who works in R&D at a large tire company mentioned the benefit of nitrogen being dry, and not promoting oxidation of steel belts, etc. as it permeates out through the tire. I have no idea over what time that would be significant.
That's the level of buying golden CAT5e cables for your home receiver because the digital signal would be purer.

(SPOILER ALERT: it's not)

Reactions: ms3224a

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
As a life long tech, nitrogen in tires is a BAD JOKE. If you actually dig into things, you'll see how much it doesnt make one damn bit of difference. Ya less pressure change with extreme temperature change. But it still leaks out over time and so on. So you add air when winter starts. Air is free, nitrogen is not. And with TPMS systems, no worry about knowing if your tires are low, the car tells you long before they are low enough to actually be a problem.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Nitrogen, (Dry N2) has been used in aviation for many, many years. If you use compressed air the water vapor can condense, accumulate and freeze inside the tire. That lump of ice can unbalance the tire and cause problems on landing, even possibly rupturing the tire.

N2 for cars is a waste and a great profit item for car dealers and tire shops, as mentioned above.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.