Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greeting all. I recently had the differential fluid changed on my CRV at the dealership as per the service advisor's suggestion. I inherited this vehicle from my late father and am pretty sure he did the fluid change himself, as he usually did the routine maintenance on his vehicles. Anyway, 150 miles after having the fluid changed, the AWD light came on. I'd not seen this before (have had it 3 years), so I contacted the dealership. They had me come back in and told me that they'd not put enough fluid in, which is common as CRV differentials are small, and that had been corrected. I should not expect any more problems. Only less than a month later, the light came on again. I went back, they checked it again and told me I have an internal problem and the best way to solve it is to have a new differential put in at a cost of $4200! I think I've been taken advantage of. My dad and uncle have both passed away, and they always helped me maintain my car. Any advice would be welcomed. Thank you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Buff. I'll search for one this weekend. The only one I knew about closed, but hopefully there's another in the area. This is the first Honda I've had (2013 CRV AWD), and my other car doesn't have a differential that has to be serviced.

Tori E.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,199 Posts
@toyeds

Tori,

The 4WD differential in the Honda is a clever way to achieve all wheel drive with less weight & complexity. It uses 'passive' clutches that drive the rear wheels when they move at different speed than the front wheels.

The capacity of the rear diff is only 1.1 - 1.3 qts, so as ondarvr asked, HOW LOW WAS IT? This could have contributed to the differential failing. (EX: if they drained it and forgot to put any fluid back in ? ) It's up to you if you want to 'fight' that dealer's bill in court or anything.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update: I had the differential checked by an ASE mechanic and he told me there was nothing wrong with it. I decided to go to a different dealership in the area. After telling the service advisor what was wrong, he asked it I'd ever been informed about the service bulletin concerning this issue. Needless to say, I hadn't. Turns out there was a bulletin issued in 2017 concerning the AWD light coming on in 2013-2014 CRV pertaining to the electronic differential pressure solenoid reading excessive oil pressure. They road tested my vehicle to be sure the differential was okay, then hooked it up to the computer. The code locked in was the one in the service bulletin. Had this happened before my CRV was out of warranty, they would have done the work for free. As it isn't, I'll have to pay $700, which is far less than the $4200 the other dealership wanted. I feel better informed and a whole lot better about keeping this vehicle for a while longer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts