Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been researching the 2017 model very closely, and I am shocked at the amount of extra features an EXL has compared to my 2013 EXL. The offering is pretty Incredible really.

I have a few questions this someone may be able to help me with:

1) How does the audio quality compare to the previous generation? That was a huge gripe I had, it did not sound full at all, and the included subwoofer was a bit of a joke. Is here even a SW now?

2) Will the front USB ports that controls CarPlay charge the phone adequately? In my '13 it barely keeps it at current charge level. Must be a low amps port.

3) If I switch to high beams, will the low lamps switch off? Or can both remain on?

4) Does it have 3-blink blinkers? Like European cars? A quick and gentle touch to the stalk triggers a 3 blink sequence. Yes? No?

5) Is there a physical blinker module? Or is it part of the ECU like the '13-16? I like to replace them sometimes with nifty programmable units. A hack, if you will.

Thanks!

·
Registered
190 Posts
I can only compare the audio with my '07 (talk about a huge difference in features!), The audio is OK, nothing to write home about. It doesn't bother me, but ymmv. I believe there is only a SW in the touring. You'll have to sit in one and try it out, you can have a hundred opinions but the only one that will matter to you is yours.

·
Registered
137 Posts
#2 charges slowly using the CarPlay USB
If you have the rear charging ports, you could use them as they are 2.5 amp as opposed to I believe 1.5 amp for the fronts. Drawing from memory on a test drive of a Touring. I'm sure you owners know for sure.....

·
Registered
190 Posts
Yes, the rear ports are 2.5. I, personally, haven't had a problem with excessive drain on my samsung note 4 using the front with android auto. Iphones may be different with carplay? My phone doesn't charge quickly but it doesn't kill it while using nav through android auto or any other AA usage.

·
Registered
219 Posts
2. The front USB port that you use to connect to the stereo system is a 1.5A port, which should keep your phone going and at the same time slowly charge it, but very slowly. You can use the rear USB ports to recharge much faster, but they don't work with the stereo system. They, along with the additional 1A port up front are for charging only and have no other functionality.

1. As others have stated, this is very subjective. I went for the Touring with its 300 some odd watts of power with the subwoofer and I'm very pleased with it. It would appear, though, based on another thread here that many do not care for it. To each his own.

3. Low beams switch off. I don't know if this is a Federal safety law or what, but all cars that I've dealt with over at least the last decade or so work this way. It does seem like it would be better to have the coverage of both at the same time, but this is not to be for whatever reason.

4. Yes, three blinks with a quick tap on the stalk.

5. I don't know this for a fact, but the turn signal sound is definitely not that of a relay cycling on and off, so I would assume it's incorporated into the electronic control systems. Only the schematics will tell you for certain, however. Perhaps you can talk the service department into letting you take a look for a bit to see what you can find.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
According to a video review I just watched the low beam projectors stay ON while you switch to high beams. Proof:

ImageUploadedByAG Free1485216867.398077.jpg

·
Registered
140 Posts
Verified, low beam stays on with high beam. Sorry for the dirty lens but it is winter ;)

The brightness is the same, the camera was just at a different angle.

IMG_3163.jpg IMG_3164.jpg

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does anyone know where they build these? I saw a VIN number on one and started with 5J which I believe is Japan?!

·
Registered
600 Posts
I have a 2004 EX and a 2017 EX-L. The touring is the only model with a standard subwoofer, but the 8 speaker stereo in the EX-L is adequate. There are multiple USB port. The one to connect to the radio is a 1.5?amp, the other are 2.5 amp, there are also front 12 v power port. The high beams are in addition to the low beams on the EXL, and are on together. Don't know how the Touring LEDs work. It has the 3 blink turn signals don't know answer to #5.

·
Registered
140 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Does anyone know where they build these? I saw a VIN number on one and started with 5J which I believe is Japan?!
Nation of Origin[edit]
VIN code Description
1 USA
2 Canada
3 Mexico
4 USA
5 USA
6 Australia
7 New Zealand
8&9 South America
A through H Africa
J Japan
K Korea, Israel, Sri Lanka
S England
V France
W&S Germany
Z Italy

·
Registered
14 Posts
...along with the additional 1A port up front are for charging only and have no other functionality.
The additional 1A port up front works as an iPod input (maybe a USB flash drive input too, I didn't check). When I plugged in an iPhone to the 1A port it also automatically set up the Honda Bluetooth connection. Wasn't expecting that.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts