Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Monroe in my case, but I assume the question applies to all complete strut assemblies...do you need to torque the rod nut after installation? The instruction sheet included with the Monroes says to, but the Honda service manual makes no mention of this, and says only to torque the flange nuts on the top, not including the rod nut in the center.

2007 CRV in my case.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So the reason I replaced the struts was because I had been hearing an intermittent rubbing/grinding kind of noise from the front driver's side wheel area, and could also feel it in the gas pedal if I went shoeless. Shop said it needed new front struts. After awhile the ride was starting to get very bouncy too.

After replacement, the rubbing sound and feel went away. BUT the ride is just as bouncy as with the old struts, even though afaik those looked like hell when I took them off. It's like the spring is too loose or something.

Any ideas what is wrong or how to fix it?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Are your tires properly inflated? Verify when cold with the sticker located on the driver door frame. 30PSI I believe. Check your sway bar end links. They should attach to the side of the strut and to the end of the sway bar. Also look at the sway bar bushings. You should not see any light between the bushing and the bar. If you do, replace the bushings. Did you replace the rear struts as well?

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
I had no note in my QuickStruts mentioning torquing the rod nut. It only had generic instructions for mounting. I would think they do this at the factory, since the whole idea of QuickStruts is having them ready to go install with no additional work.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are your tires properly inflated? Verify when cold with the sticker located on the driver door frame. 30PSI I believe. Check your sway bar end links. They should attach to the side of the strut and to the end of the sway bar. Also look at the sway bar bushings. You should not see any light between the bushing and the bar. If you do, replace the bushings. Did you replace the rear struts as well?

Thank you, I will check the sway bar stuff when I rotate the tires this weekend. I did not replace the rear struts. The thing is, the bouncing is worse with the new struts than it was with the ancient, decaying struts, and the shop only mentioned the front struts needing replacement.

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
Strange. Today I replaced all four struts on our blue '09, and I had done mine a week or so ago. No bouncing at all, and both sets were the Monroe QuickStruts. Very nice ride, actually--feels just a little bit tighter/firmer than the old struts, which were worn, and since both have the same tires (except mine are 235/65R17), the ride is just about the same in both. The set I did today were very noisy, with both fronts rattling quite a bit. Dead quiet now. :)

Strange coincidence--on both of our 09s, and at least one other member's 3rd gen CR-V here, has had a leaky left rear strut!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts