Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been practically begging my local Honda dealer for business over the last 5 months but it seems they just don't have any interest in selling me any vehicle but what is on their lot. I want a fwd CRV in either silver or red color. Basically they refuse to order me one or trade with other dealer, make excuses why its hard with same features and they usually cant, but always try to sell me the next closest one with awd for and extra 700 dollars. I would prefer to buy local but have no problem driving an hour to get color and exact model I want. Has anyone else experienced Local dealer not wanting to order or trade with other dealers on or trim packages or colors? Should I feel bad/guilty if drive to another dealer and save $500 and get color I want? I bought my car from this local dealer and am disappointed they wont order me model and color I want :( Would you feel guilty at all driving 45 minutes to another Honda dealer to get what you wanted? Of course I will have to deal with local Honda dealer with maintenance and any issues that may arise.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Since they aren't being helpful you should NOT feel any guilt about finding someone who will help you. You owe them nothing!

Work with the dealer that wants to help you find the vehicle you want.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Sadly, this dealer's attitude is probably more common than it should be, and that's not just Honda I'm talking about.
For you specifically, why waste your time trying to give these guys your business when they don't want to help?
Walk away and go somewhere where your business will be appreciated.

On my latest vehicle quest, I visited my local Toyota dealership (newly opened last year).
You'd think they'd be eager to establish their presence in the community. I was wrong.
I wandered around the showroom, looked at some cars, sat in a few, picked up some flyers, and was completely ignored.
The receptionist didn't even bother lifting her eyes from her cell phone, and not one sales person acknowledged my presence (yes , they were around).
I gave up and walked out. Never going back. Aarrggh.

·
Registered
2018 CR-V EX-L FWD Modern Steel Metallic
1,102 Posts
i did most of my stuff online.... don't recall if it was truecar.com or not. they sent email to a few dealers. salesperson for internet sales at both dealers reached out to me..
i told what I had to have and what i didn't want - to both. one said, sorry, can't help. the other - he came bk w/colors - and i told him the 2 i was interested in. w/in 3 days he said he could get my car from another dealer in trade. he apparently had someone who wanted to trade out the seats like me - so for me it was timing... but he tried to help me out - and in doing so, he sold 2 CRVs.

sometimes internet sales are easier to put your foot down since not face to face.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Do what you need to do.
I shopped & shopped until I found the suv on /of my terms then drove the 2 hours North to buy it.
Even though there's a Honda dealer 4 miles from my house.
BTW, last week I went into the parts dept of that local dealer to ask about a fob.
There's a thread here about them here.
Anyway, they want 270 for one. Maybe it's just a coincidence that I didn't buy my CR-V here either ;)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Since they aren't being helpful you should NOT feel any guilt about finding someone who will help you. You owe them nothing!

Work with the dealer that wants to help you find the vehicle you want.

I bought my last 13 Civic new from local dealer and I was assured I would get top trade if I bought another one from them. Well the dealer trade-in offer was actually lower
than some of the other competition. So much for owner loyalty. I will buy local if can but sure seems like if the car not on lot at time of purchase they don't want to make any effort to sell another. Just disgust me.

Thanks,
matt

·
Registered
511 Posts
Hi Matt-Kentucky

I bought our current 2014 CRV from a dealer in Lexington, Ky, and I normally take it to a dealer in Richmond, Ky. When I was there the last time I asked them about doing some warrantee work, and they told me "no problem" We will work on it no matter where you bought it.

As for not wanting to order you a car, that is so far removed from good customer service principle. I can see them wanting to sell a car on the lot, but I just can't imagine them stalling you from getting what you want.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Matt-Kentucky

I bought our current 2014 CRV from a dealer in Lexington, Ky, and I normally take it to a dealer in Richmond, Ky. When I was there the last time I asked them about doing some warrantee work, and they told me "no problem" We will work on it no matter where you bought it.

As for not wanting to order you a car, that is so far removed from good customer service principle. I can see them wanting to sell a car on the lot, but I just can't imagine them stalling you from getting what you want.

Good Luck!
I live in the Western portion of Ky, other Honda dealers in Marion IL, Jackson Tn, Evansville In., Owensboro Ky. so definitely no shortage.
I started asking back in December if the dealer would be receiving any fwd crv and kept getting the reply "no", the demand is for awd so that is what we keep on lot. I even said
on several occasions if you get a fwd in red or silver I will purchase but I never received a call back. This last trip I drove the one fwd on lot and I liked it but it was gray, the exact same color as my car trading in. I specifically asked my local saleman about trading with another dealer for color I wanted and he did not say no but said its difficult to do sometimes, different accessories installed, pay someone to drive car to location....... but......we will make a great deal on this awd right now. I would think making a guaranteed 100% sell would be better than no sale. I even said im ok with waiting a few weeks to come in. Guess times have changed. I have decided if I want to save 600-700 dollars and get fwd I will just drive 45 minutes to next Honda dealer who has on lot. Hopefully the local Honda dealer will be polite and service ok even if bought elsewhere.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Are you a Costco member? I haven't tried it yet, but supposedly you can work with them in getting the car you want, and they find a dealer that will give you the best price. Sam's club has similar programs.
https://www.costco.com/auto-program-services.html

If you can wait, I hear Walmart may start selling cars soon!
http://www.autonews.com/article/20170123/RETAIL01/301239805/wal-mart-carsaver-will-sell-cars

As for trade in, when we saw our current 2014 CRV for sale we researched what CRV was actually selling for and what the average amount the dealer should give us for our old 2009 CRV. That gave us the difference we would have to come up with if we traded. I reduced the difference by 20% and walked into the dealership. When the saleswoman started in on the "what a beautiful CRV you are trading in is, we can give you top dollar for that......." line I laid my spreadsheet out and pointed to the difference nunber I came up with and said "how close can you come to this number?" She started on how much of a great deal she could make on the new CRV, and I tapped on the difference number on my spreadsheet and said "how close to this number can you get?". Then came the "how low of a payment do you want?" and I tapped the difference number again and said we can work finances out later IF we can make a deal on this number". Then came the line "we have 5 other people wanting this car..." and I simply tapped the number. Then she started in on "I need to ask my manager...." and I said that's fine if you don't feel you are capable of making a deal yourself, but remember this, my middle name is not "Patience", and if you make us sit here too long I'll leave.

I didn't care how much the new CRV was, or how much trade in my old one got, all I cared about was the difference. The "new car price" and the "trade in price" game is to get you confused and agree with what they want to begin with

Bottom line was they came up with a difference number we were completely satisfied with, shook hands and drove our new Honda home.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Matt, and to think they might be making the CRV in Indiana.... just NW.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are you a Costco member? I haven't tried it yet, but supposedly you can work with them in getting the car you want, and they find a dealer that will give you the best price. Sam's club has similar programs.
https://www.costco.com/auto-program-services.html

If you can wait, I hear Walmart may start selling cars soon!
http://www.autonews.com/article/20170123/RETAIL01/301239805/wal-mart-carsaver-will-sell-cars

As for trade in, when we saw our current 2014 CRV for sale we researched what CRV was actually selling for and what the average amount the dealer should give us for our old 2009 CRV. That gave us the difference we would have to come up with if we traded. I reduced the difference by 20% and walked into the dealership. When the saleswoman started in on the "what a beautiful CRV you are trading in is, we can give you top dollar for that......." line I laid my spreadsheet out and pointed to the difference nunber I came up with and said "how close can you come to this number?" She started on how much of a great deal she could make on the new CRV, and I tapped on the difference number on my spreadsheet and said "how close to this number can you get?". Then came the "how low of a payment do you want?" and I tapped the difference number again and said we can work finances out later IF we can make a deal on this number". Then came the line "we have 5 other people wanting this car..." and I simply tapped the number. Then she started in on "I need to ask my manager...." and I said that's fine if you don't feel you are capable of making a deal yourself, but remember this, my middle name is not "Patience", and if you make us sit here too long I'll leave.

I didn't care how much the new CRV was, or how much trade in my old one got, all I cared about was the difference. The "new car price" and the "trade in price" game is to get you confused and agree with what they want to begin with

Bottom line was they came up with a difference number we were completely satisfied with, shook hands and drove our new Honda home.
WOW nice work, I thought I was prepared when walked in. I had the kbb prices based on my car being "very good" which it was easily, and the dealer price if buy. Of course right of the bat they say my brand new tires looked cracked, no way then printed out the kbb showing "good" and offered me low price and deduced 300 off saying I needed new
tires. The new tires only have 5k on. Not a good way to start selling process. After I explained this is based on good and we went out and looked at my car again and they could no dents or tears or stains they admitted it was in great shape and offered 500 more which is still a little lower than kbb average. The whole selling process just makes me sick, so far I have not called back and the dealer has not called me. Maybe it was a mutual feeling. I will go elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts