1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here is a thread that basically talks about my problem:

LEG ROOM CRV

I bought my CR-V knew in 2006

I would like to know if there is any way to tilt the front seat back w/o making it unsafe. There are only 3 adjustments on the manual seat. 1 UP/Down 2 Forward/Backward 3 Recline the back. There is no tilt.

Basically my left knee always ends up leaning against the door on long trips and I can barely walk when I get out of the car. I can help the situation by raising the seat to the highest position and putting one of those garden kneeling pads under my legs but it's only good for a couple of hundred miles.

What I'd like is, to tilt the seat back so that the force of gravity keeps me pushed back in the seat and supports my legs more. Currently, I'm constantly pushing my self back in the seat all the time.

Any ideas would be great.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm with ya, and joined this forum just for this reason. This post can also serve as a bump for this topic.

Last week I bought a 09 4WD CRV and have had a hard time getting use to the seating. I suspected it when I test drove it, but chalked it up to it just being a new feeling and that I would get used to it. Anyway, I would also like more tilt in the seat for the long drives. If anyone has a suggestion.

My current thought, and I have yet to try it, is to get a seat cushion and put a little more cushion in the front, that would really just raise the knees but would extend the leg path to make it seem there is more room and to imitate an incline. Thoughts?

I haven't found the seat to be uncomfortable and am thoroughly happy with the car every other way. I used to drive a truck and then for the past year was in a grand prix until it broke down. We also own a suburban. I find this car to have the right mix of interior space, performance, and value for the amenities over other vehicles of similar price.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
I always drive with my knee against the door, only problem is that if I'm too pressed into it the door rattles while the music's going. I haven't found a way to angle the front upwards yet, don't think it's possible.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Allot of cars from Japan have fairly flat seats. Had the same problem with my Honda Civic Hybrid 2006. My knee rested against the E-brake handle. Also the seats were not very comfortable. To make it a real comfortable car I lifted the front 1 1/4" . What a change!!! I can actually drive 8 hrs with comfort. 1 hr. work. Most of the guys use 1/8" x1" steel plate. I have a 2006 v that fits me OK , but I will check and see if the mode is possible. Hal:D

·
Registered
582 Posts
Just checked the CRV and its the same as the Civic! Make two brackets, remove two bolts and install them. You will probably want to install them on the passenger side as well? Hal

·
Registered
352 Posts
First of all, I concur Honda seats aren't the most comfortable. In my del Sol, you'd laugh if you saw that I was sitting on a 1-inch piece of foam, AND had an inflatable lower back rest! I've had trouble in other Hondas too. You want comfy, a Volvo, Saab, or Infiniti is the way to go.

You can definitely raise the seats by using longer bolts. As far as the "is it safe" question, I think there are two things you can do to improve your chances. First, buy high-quality, high-strength bolts, IE probably the most expensive you find at Home Depot. Second, don't raise the seat too much, because changing the angle by a large degree will place greater stress on the bolts.

Last - (I may do this mod myself actually) - but before you do, try a few things that you might find unrelated at first to your problem. Try adding some lower back support (a folded up scarf or T-shirt works ok), and try adjusting your position slightly every 20 minutes as you drive. IE roll the seat back one notch, put the seat down a bit, then raise it, etc. Variation keeps muscles from cramping.

However it does sound like you are a little too tall for the seat height, so a slightly reclined position is the way to go then. Don't recline it too much, both for crash safety AND because putting your head too far back makes it tough to control the car (those guys you see driving almost lying down = idiots)

·
Registered
582 Posts
Serj22;
You cannot use bolt with washers as the seat has a 90 deg bracket that bolts to the side of a raised bump in the floor. Anyway yours will be the same, have a look.
Fujisawa;
Be carefully with the seats on 2006 and new because they have side airbags. Hal

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Yeah, that's what I meant, but it seemed like someone was talking about raising the whole seat in general, you can adjust a bracket to mount at an angle, but you probably wouldn't be able to get the plastic trim on it anymore. A lot of the stuff under the carpet is styrofoam, and that Bump under the seat it the Cruise control I beleive.

·
Registered
582 Posts
No the bump is part of the floor boards. It is very easy to remove the two bolts holding the front of the seat to the floor. Just remove the two bolts and add the extensions! It is a very easy fix! Hal

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Well, the cruise control device is usually central under the seat, unless there's a big unecessary bump there, but I think you mean where the side-rails mount, yeah, that part of the floor, and I should hope it doesn't ahve floor boards...:eek:

·
Registered
352 Posts
Serj22;
Fujisawa;
Be carefully with the seats on 2006 and new because they have side airbags. Hal
mm, good point there. Actually even my 04 has side airbags (in 05 they add side curtain airbags), I hadn't considered that. I still think it's ok to make small alterations as long as you aren't putting the airbags in a drastically different postition than before.
I actually wonder if it might be possible to mount, say, Pilot seats, or Odyssey. I recall even fabric Odyssey seats have height and thigh support adjustment. I think Honda only uses a few different types of frame rails so it might be possible. I think as you get newer and newer it'll become more difficult, though, to find enough clearance for the seat; plus the airbags issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Driver's seat

With my long legs (36" inseam ! ) my lower back is destroyed after more than 1 to 2 hours of driving my 2008 Honda CR-V LX.

Has anyone (1) tried swapping-out a used 8-way power seat from an EX-L? Physically it looks like it would work, but would the LX safety system computer freak-out with the EX-L's power seat air bag, position sensor, and seat belt tensioner. and (2) even if it did work, would the power seat solve my problem?

I, too, have been experimenting with cushions for lower back, upper back, under the thighs/knees to solve the back pain issues. I also need a cushion behind my back to get me far enough forward so the head rests are not pushing my head down.

The CR-V is super, but the driver's seat is the pits.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.