Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My crv ‘17 is brand new 4.3k mileage, and it had the first maintenance on March 29, 2018. Should I put a bottle of fuel injection cleaner? Some people said pour some every maintenance.

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
No it is not needed. On direct injection engines the fuel pressure is too high to clean the injectors and due to the fact that fuel doesn't pass over the intake valves it will no clean the engine any. It might clean the in tank fuel pump but it's not needed more than every year or two.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
My crv ‘17 is brand new 4.3k mileage, and it had the first maintenance on March 29, 2018. Should I put a bottle of fuel injection cleaner? Some people said pour some every maintenance.

Thank you.
If you use TOP TIER gas you don't need any cleaners.... this stuff has all that's required for direct inj. engines.
If you don't have a gas station that has T.T. gas you can add TECHRON cleaner every 8-10K miles
https://www.toptiergas.com/

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
If you use TOP TIER gas you don't need any cleaners.... this stuff has all that's required for direct inj. engines.
If you don't have a gas station that has T.T. gas you can add TECHRON cleaner every 8-10K miles
https://www.toptiergas.com/
Yeah Techron is good stuff, you can actually feel a difference after you make a long trip with gas that has it added in.

Rob

·
Registered
858 Posts
There is a school of thought that fuel system cleaners can dislodge tiny bits of carbon and other substances that can wind up in engine oil. This could be more of a factor in engines known for fuel dilution like the 1.5T.

These deposits are potentially harmful and many are too small to be trapped by the oil filter. So, while a fuel system cleaner may be a good idea, it might be best to add it at a time when it will finish its job just before the next oil change.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
I would think that any dislodged particles would go out the exhaust valve, rather than somehow work their way around the piston rings into the oil.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
If they are dissolved then they are just like any other contaminants that get into the oil, which is why we do periodic oil changes.

And, if used regularly, there will be less build up in the cylinders, which means fewer contaminants. JM2C

·
Registered
666 Posts
Some dissolved, some simply suspended. Either case I think it’s a valid concern to think about it possibly moving fixed particles into the oil stream.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
If they are dissolved then they are just like any other contaminants that get into the oil, which is why we do periodic oil changes.

And, if used regularly, there will be less build up in the cylinders, which means fewer contaminants. JM2C
Yes I would think that if they are small enough to get by the rings they have pretty much turned into liquid carbon slush just like everything else that makes your oil change color. My thinking is that if a particle is small enough to pass through the filter it will not harm the engine.

Rob

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replies guys! Appreciated it. Chevron with Techron is kinda expensive here. I might go with Mobil.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys! Appreciated it. Chevron with Techron is kinda expensive here. I might go with Mobil.
Keep an eye on sales at Autozone/O'Reilly. They do buy one get one on Chevron with Techron. That's usually when I dump a bottle in the car.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
As UMRdyldo suggested, you don't have to buy Chevron fuel to get the benefit of Techron.

You can buy a bottle of Techron additive and add it to the gas tank the next time you fill up.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Some dissolved, some simply suspended. Either case I think it’s a valid concern to think about it possibly moving fixed particles into the oil stream.
Actually sorry but your thoughts on are 100% false to the point that there is 0% chance of this causing an engine problem. And any particle that makes it past the filter is no different than all the metal filings and carbon from the crankcase caused by normal operation.

You would be speechless if you saw engine oil coming out of an engine versus new under a microscope. Guess why engine oil gets dark. Carbon, same crap that would make it past the rings and be dissolved into the oil.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 CR-V Touring
141 Posts
Actually sorry but your thoughts on are 100% false to the point that there is 0% chance of this causing an engine problem. And any particle that makes it past the filter is no different than all the metal filings and carbon from the crankcase caused by normal operation.

You would be speechless if you saw engine oil coming out of an engine versus new under a microscope. Guess why engine oil gets dark. Carbon, same crap that would make it past the rings and be dissolved into the oil.
Are there any concerns around techron concentrate/etc. perhaps dislodging larger chunks that might be harmful to the turbo? I've used Techron concentrate (complete fuel system cleaner not the injector only type) but have some reservations in the 1.5 given some of the discussions around using it and the turbos. Granted some of that was focused on Ford's new turbos but it's given me pause about just pouring a bottle in every once in a while as I've done in the past.

Part of my concern is my unfamiliarity with the flow of the oil in relation to the turbo and if anything coming off the carbon deposits would make its way through the turbo before getting caught in the filter.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
What you put in your fuel will never effect oil flow in the turbo, EVER in any way.

I dont know specifically how the additive will effect matters as in runability due to forced induction, but unless there is detonation occurring in the exhaust or the additive can create some odd build up inside the manifold/turbo the turbo itself will not ever be effected. However its how computer deals with things that can be of concern.

Also carbon deposits shouldnt even be a discussion on a vehicle only a couple years old unless using cheap walmart oil and drive like grandma and grandpa on sunday afternoons to get anywhere.

Any deposits down the road that cleaner would release are ejected out the exhaust and will never be in a form that can cause any damage unless excessive in which case it could plug up the converter.

Any turbo issues are always use of cheap oil (yes there is plenty of cheap oil out there still thats as bad as the crap from the 70s and 80s) and running them hard.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts