Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first time to post on this forum so my apologies if this is better suited for somewhere else.

In a few weeks, I plan to install a new head unit into my 2014 crv. This is the first time for me to install a unit in any car and I have a few questions.
The head unit is the Sony XAV AX1000.

1. This head unit comes with Apple Carplay and handsfree capability, so it comes with a microphone. I would prefer to keep the OEM microphone because I like its "hidden" location. I have done some research and found that the wires I need are on the HFL unit connector, but I am not sure which of the pins need to be connected to what type of connector. If it is a better idea to just use the microphone that comes with the head unit, where is the best place to mount it?

2. This head unit has a wire that needs to be connected to a parking brake wire, and, while I recognize that I could buy an override or just tie it to ground, I'd rather do it the "right" way. Where is the wire that I need to tap into and how do I access it?

3. Is there anything else that I should know going into this project?

Thank you for your time and help!

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Thats one of the reason's I shop on Crutchfield.com. If you buy from them they also include instructions how to install things on your vehicle, and offer to sell you all the parts and wiring harnesses you need.
Looks like they carry the Sony XAV AX1000, so I added it to my shopping cart and they suggested what I needed to install it.

The good thing is that you can click on each of the suggested items, and it will give you details about them, and the "part number" to order each component. Well, except for their custom install instructions.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats one of the reason's I shop on Crutchfield.com. If you buy from them they also include instructions how to install things on your vehicle, and offer to sell you all the parts and wiring harnesses you need.
Looks like they carry the Sony XAV AX1000, so I added it to my shopping cart and they suggested what I needed to install it.

The good thing is that you can click on each of the suggested items, and it will give you details about them, and the "part number" to order each component. Well, except for their custom install instructions.
I actually did order the parts from crutchfield a few days ago, guess I should have read the instructions they emailed me more closely because it answered my parking brake question!
For any one stumbling across this thread in the future, this is what they said that the wire is “behind dash fuse box, 20-pin plug, pin 15 - blue”

However I did not see anything about my microphone.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I actually did order the parts from crutchfield a few days ago, guess I should have read the instructions they emailed me more closely because it answered my parking brake question!
For any one stumbling across this thread in the future, they said that the wire is “behind dash fuse box, 20-pin plug, pin 15 - blue”

However I did not see anything about my microphone.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Use the Sony microphone. All microphones have different sensitivities--in other words, some microphones put out different voltages than others. If the mic in the CR-V is too weak, the head unit's voice features, and those you talk to via hands-free phone, will not be able to hear you since the signal is not strong enough. If the mic is too strong, you risk the mic picking up too much road noise as well as your voice distorting due to the mic's output overloading the input on the Sony. I don't care for having it on the top of my steering column but there really is no other way to do it.

Also, get a parking brake override. My Pioneer loses so many of its functions while the car is in motion that it makes the head unit useless. I travel a lot, and if I'm on an extended road trip, I can't even search Google Maps while driving. So if someone is riding shotgun, they can't even type in an address or business name. I have no desire to watch video, but the parking brake feature is just another nanny feature I need to do without. I thought I would do it the right way also, but got frustrated due to having so many functions blocked. So I had to pull the head unit out and add the bypass. Well worth it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Use the Sony microphone. All microphones have different sensitivities--in other words, some microphones put out different voltages than others. If the mic in the CR-V is too weak, the head unit's voice features, and those you talk to via hands-free phone, will not be able to hear you since the signal is not strong enough. If the mic is too strong, you risk the mic picking up too much road noise as well as your voice distorting due to the mic's output overloading the input on the Sony. I don't care for having it on the top of my steering column but there really is no other way to do it.

Also, get a parking brake override. My Pioneer loses so many of its functions while the car is in motion that it makes the head unit useless. I travel a lot, and if I'm on an extended road trip, I can't even search Google Maps while driving. So if someone is riding shotgun, they can't even type in an address or business name. I have no desire to watch video, but the parking brake feature is just another nanny feature I need to do without. I thought I would do it the right way also, but got frustrated due to having so many functions blocked. So I had to pull the head unit out and add the bypass. Well worth it.
Sorry for the late reply, I guess I just missed the notification or something. Just installed the unit and I decided to go with the Sony mic For the reassigns you said above. The wiring harness crutch field sent has a wire to connect to the parking brake so I just ended up using that. Thanks for the help!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts