Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went to the dealership wanting to test drive a CR-V. I was more interested in waiting until the 2016 is out, which I still hope may have a fix for the infamous vibration issue. Anyway, the sales person convinced me to consider the 2015 if he can give me a "smoking deal". I hesitated but agreed. So anyway, we went back inside and his "manager" then came to me asking me to sign a page (didn't have much on it) which essentially stated that if we come to "agreeable" terms that I would be buying the car today. According to them it's so that I don't "waste their time". I hesitated at first and just kept asking them why they don't just tell me how much they want for the vehicle. The dumb side in me then kicked in and I actually signed it, because it didn't really seem to say much. A few minutes later the sales guy came back with their offer, needless to say it was nowhere what I would have considered a "smoking deal". It was essentially MSRP. Because that ticked me off (they essentially wasted my time) I countered with unrealistic low numbers that I would be willing to pay for a 2015, but needless to say we got nowhere, they wouldn't budge at all. I ended up walking away, didn't want the 2015 model in the first place.

However, now what worries me is that stupid page I signed. I am now worried that they send me a bill or even worse have legal ways to make me buy it... I have never bought a vehicle at a dealership before so I don't know if this is common practice, but it surely left a really bad taste in my mouth. Why can't they just tell me how much they want?! Anyway, I'm just worried what the ramifications of signing such a "document" might be...

·
Registered
579 Posts
Actually what you signed was that you agree to drive vibrating vehicles for the next 15 years, and your kids will be slaves to the dealer.

Welcome. I'm joking of course, but have you never been advised to never ever sign anything unless you fully understand it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, yes, and that page that I signed I fully understood. It didn't really say anything other than if we come to agreeable terms that I would purchase the vehicle that day. No fine print, no other pages. Unfortunately, I can't go back in time, if I could I would have just walked out right there... I learned my lesson but I do wonder how common that is, and what I could potentially face now...

·
Registered
579 Posts
Common? I've never heard of it. Makes no sense anyway. Agree to purchase a vehicle if you come to agreeable terms. Fine. So if you really want to buy, you agree to the terms. If you don't want to buy, you don't agree. Period. You need to sign a written agreement for that? BS.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Welcome to the best CRV forum!

You need not worry about what you signed. It was sighed under duress and is not valid. You never came to a mutual agreement. Forget it. From my personal experiences of buying many vehicles, never have any tried that approach with me. That is just another example of poor dealer sales tactics. Run away from that dealer. That is not the way great dealerships do business. Sorry that your first experience making a new car purchase from a dealer turned out this way. Why a few of these try this is beyond my imagination. How likely are you to send your friends and acquaintances there to buy a vehicle? Won't happen will it?

Now, ask some of your friends and family a dealer they would recommend. If you live within an hour drive from my dealer, Bommarito Honda of Hazelwood Missouri, I will refer you to them. They (Bommarito) don't come any better!

Cheers!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Never heard of a dealer doing this but if all it said was you had to buy a vehicle if you two agreed, and you two didn't agree, it shouldn't be an issue. In the future, don't sign random stuff.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I thought it was pretty dumb, too. But that's all it said, so after arguing I finally said fine I'll sign it but it better be a good offer. Turns out it wasn't. It's just beyond my comprehension why they wouldn't just tell me how much they want, instead they want to "ensure" they don't "waste" their time but end up really wasting my time.

This was in Utah, a *very* busy dealership. They probably sell enough so that they don't feel like negotiating.

That experience plus the worries I have over this stupid sheet of paper now killed my desire to replace our car anytime soon. We really wanted a CR-V and I still have hope that the 2016 has the vibration issue resolved. But now I don't even want to go back at all...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You need not worry about what you signed. It was sighed under duress and is not valid. You never came to a mutual agreement. Forget it.
I hope this is true, after all this is the U.S. and there's all kinds of weird laws on the book...

That is just another example of poor dealer sales tactics. Run away from that dealer. That is not the way great dealerships do business.
Unfortunately, there's only a handful of dealers in my state, so not much to choose from. But I'll try another one next time.

The thing is just I have had nothing but good experience with that dealership's service department. They fixed my old Honda a few times, and at reasonable charges, too. One time they screwed up and totally forgot to fix on of the things I asked them to fix, and they quickly fixed it free of any charge for the inconvenience. I didn't expect their sales department to be so unethical and bad when I had nothing but good experience with their service department...

Why a few of these try this is beyond my imagination. How likely are you to send your friends and acquaintances there to buy a vehicle? Won't happen will it?
I would have some understanding if it made any sense. But the only thing that seems to make sense (in hindsight) is intimidation. And no, of course I'm going to advice people NOT to go there, ever... ;)

·
Registered
453 Posts
I live in a state with not many dealers either.

I would stay far away from this dealer.

I should consider myself lucky - I was actually impressed with my Honda dealer (who I had never dealt with). He was definitely a no-pressure person. His finance guy did push warranty on me but the sales person was pretty fair.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Wow now that is a new one I have never heard of. Maybe their game is exactly what you are feeling...since you signed something you would feel more obligated to buy from them. Regardless, it is useless, and stupid.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Maybe their game is exactly what you are feeling...since you signed something you would feel more obligated to buy from them. Regardless, it is useless, and stupid.
I vaguely recall running into a dealer who tried something similar. It's purely psychological and has no legal authority; it is a tool used to put you in an obligatory mindset where you feel compelled to purchase a vehicle. Most people don't like confrontation, and especially for those people who have already decided to purchase a vehicle (although not necessarily the make, model or dealer in question) this type of manipulation can sway them in the dealer's favor. I'm sure that beyond influencing sales it also "saves the dealer from wasting time"... But in my mind that is their job and the reason they make money on sales commission. I find that type of practice very underhanded, and if that is the dealer's attitude then what other games are they likely to play? Even if they represent the make you want to buy, I'd find another dealer. And I would also write a letter to the regional sales manager - who knows, you may end up with some additional financial incentive to your benefit.

edit - I'm also lucky that our local dealer is very straightforward and easy to deal with. Beyond no hassle purchases, the only time we had a major issue with the premature wear of the rear brakes of our CRV and I was preparing myself to confront them (I hate that), they were the first to offer what they could do to satisfy me and credited me the nearly $400 brake service without any fuss. They are also very competitive in service pricing, so we have all our work done there. It's nice to have confidence in the dealer (a nice change from past experience with others!)

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Lesson learned, you did the right thing by walking!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Lesson learned, you did the right thing by walking!
The problem with walking is that you run out of dealers. I recently purchased my CRV after some extensive research and multiple dealer involvement. Honda and Subaru. Most of the conversation was done via e-mail, but I walked out of a Honda and a Subaru dealer after they tried one too many games. Several others I crossed off my list in the e-mail stage due to gamesmanship. I COULD and probably SHOULD have walked out of the dealer that eventually sold me the car, but his only offense was low-balling me on the trade and a "misunderstanding" about the price of tire insurance that I was able to correct.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I believe it is some sales trick, having you sign something to get you invested in getting the car that day, even if that something is generally meaningless. A long time ago I had something similar done when I was car shopping at dealerships, where one of them made me sign something he had written on just a piece of paper.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Not sure if your still around Tom or your still looking but what others have said here is true and invaluable. I have many, many years of cat buying experience and know all the tricks in the book they will pull. What's scary is even if you agree to a good price the scamming could still take place when you sign the paperwork and beyond.

A new car is a fantastic experience but even the "good" stealerships can be a stressful experience.

Don't be afraid to drive many miles for a better deal and experience! We got a 2016 ex-l AWD for 27498 which is a steal. Trust me, a good dealership you won't even have to go in and hang around the while day dealing with their bs. A good one will get most of it done over the phone and you go in and go through the paperwork in about 30-45 minutes and your out the door. I've traveled over two hours for 2k in savings before.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Very true and good advice. Six months ago our family bought two touring CRVs, and color availability was scarce for the Blue and Copper Sunset colors. We had to shop around a wide area to get these colors in the touring edition. I'll leave dealership names out of this story :)

One of them was purchased from a great dealer in NH (2 hours and 2 states away), with no nonsense. We negotiated the price ($29,493. including dest charge, before $220 state/doc fee) over the internet, which I thought was a fantastic deal. We made an appointment to pick it up the next morning, and were probably there 30-45 minutes in total. It was a cash transaction. No pressure for extended warranties or up sells items. They even threw in wheel locks and touch up paint. That dealership has called no less than 4 times, to make sure we are happy. (they even called me on the 6 month anniversary of the purchase, 2 weeks ago).

For #2(blue), we also negotiated on the internet and a different (local) dealer agreed to match the same price paid for vehicle #1. This was three days after #1(copper). This dealership's internet division was friendly and wanted us to come in, so we did. This one was to be financed, so I went online first and got pre approved by Honda Finance and printed the certificate. Then I found a local credit union that was 2% less, so I went and got pre approved with them as well. The dealership sat me with my back to everything so i could only see outside, and assigned a newbie with hand written business card (someones name crossed off). GM was standing behind me listening/directing him and he got up for every decision to go get permission. I asked to deal with him directly. They insisted on adding things to the vehicle to get more profit, and I got most of that removed from the contract. (the vehicle wasn't prepped yet and nothing was added to it) They absolutely would not budge on the "vehicle etching and insurance" up sell item and said that it was "dealer mandatory". So much that it was pre printed on their contracts, next to the doc fee. I agreed to let them etch the windows for $199. Hard sell on extended warranties and third party things. Then we got to the financing and i produced my two certificates of approval, and said I would come back with a check. They flat out refused to sell me the car, unless I went through a third party bank that gave them a kickback/commission. (Chase Auto Finance) The problem with that was that it was 4% instead of 1.9% from the local bank I was already approved for. I said no thanks and got up to walk out, and he wrote on a piece of paper with the amount and "Expires at 8pm TODAY" on it and handed it to me. (this was at about 6pm) I went home and steamed a bit, and ultimately I went back and took their deal. We picked it up 24 hours later, and they basically just handed us the keys and did a walk around and we left. I since paid off the higher priced loan and have it on lower rate, with the local bank. Dealer #2 waited until the very LAST day to register my car, holding on to the sales tax for the full 30 days. I have not heard from them even once, since the sale. Looking online they have a reputation for all the above. The only thing missing were leisure suits. I felt like I needed ti have a cigarette and a bath after I left this dealership. :) (and I don't smoke!) hah

Both of these tourings have been fantastic so far. One had its first oil change last week, and we found a great (Third) local dealership for service. (Herb Chambers Honda of Seekonk, MA) No vibrations, zero issues so far! #1 did have a "CMBS ERROR" once, but never again. I'll have them look at it on the next oil change.

I think it pays to do research, too. If I had checked in advance I would have seen that one of these dealers has a 1 star rating on yelp, while the other two mentioned have 5 stars and glowing reviews. Edmunds has a decent review site for dealerships, too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Rhode, you are so right about research. People often get caught up in the moment and lose all patience, I've seen it happen many times. With all the tools, Internet, books, other people, etc it absolutely baffles me why people don't take the time to be patient and get the best deal.

All the add on crap is what really gets me. Luckily this time around they offered paint protection but it wasn't a hard sell. We said no and we never heard about it again. The worst is when they sneak that stuff in the paperwork and your signing away and you don't even realize what your signing. I learned that lesson early on when I bought my first car.
Always have the payments worked out BEFORE stepping foot in a dealer!

Both times with my element and now the crv we traveled almost two hours to RI to save over 2k.

·
Registered
776 Posts
And they wonder why dealers get a bad rap !! I would've taken the "sign or else" sheet of paper and folded it, put it in my pocket and told them I wanted my lawyer to check it out first !! Then, a copy would've gone to Honda, another to the BBB and a third to the AG of my state just because. I suspect it's not illegal, just unethical. Craig

1 - 20 of 23 Posts