Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have owned my CRV now for almost a year and I admit that I regret not getting The Navi System. Partly because of the convience aspects and partly because of the coolness factors. So I have been giving some thought on swapping out the OEM Radio with something a bit more High Tech. Built in HD Radio, Yes! :cool: GPS Navigation, Yes! :p XM Radio built in YES! :D Bring on the coolness! :cool:

And then the cold water sets in..... :eek:

Reading online at places like Crutchfield's, I see many radios that can do so many things but I am warned by the following..
Installation Details for your 2013 Honda CRV Sport Utility with 7 speakers; without Navigation system
This item fits your vehicle. BUT
If you replace the factory radio, you will lose the factory USB input connection.!!!!!! :(
If you replace the factory radio, you'll lose the factory AUX input connection!!!!!:(

So then I have to ask myself, if I were to change out the radio What other car features or functions will I loose? I know I can keep the steering wheel controls with a special adapter, but isn't there a way to keep the USB and AUX. WHAT ELSE DOES THIS THING DO BESIDE PLAY MUSIC!?!?!:confused:

I then visited a website called
http://www.hondapartsnow.com. and what do I find?
Honda Part:
NAVIGATION UNIT (MITSUBISHI)
Part NO.: 39542-T0A-A01
Replaced By:39542-T0A-A02

Your Price:$2780.78
Honda's Retail Price:$3862.28

Price:$2780.78!!!!!! What does this unit control for that price?

NOW TO MY QUESTIONS

1 If I swap out the OEM Radio for an after market unit. (Bear in mind when I bought my CRV I didn't get the Navi System). Function wise. What all will I loose?

2 Is it possible to go out and buy the Honda NAVIGATION UNIT (MITSUBISHI)
And just install it and it work with no major modifications. Remember I didn't get the Navi system. Will I have to Trade out the roof antenna for the is to work?

3 What problems am I setting myself up for If I do any of the
above?

·
Registered
704 Posts
So, you have the audio system in this pic, correct? It is the system with the 'sub woofer' under the passenger seat - correct?
1373809574_2578_7.jpg

The display at the top is called the i-Mid information display. The i-Mid display shows the back-up camera, the radio/audio information overlay and some car info like MPG, etc. Or it can show a wallpaper image you upload to it. You cycle through the screens using the button on the steering wheel with the nested squares on it (by the menu button). There is a hidden hands-free-link (HFL) controller and amplifier module as well.

If you pull the in dash radio, some of the i-Mid screen will still work (car info screen, back-up cam, and wallpaper screen), but you will lose the compass and clock overlay (you can still use the i-Mid analog clock screen however.)

If your new radio supports USB inputs, AUX inputs, and Bluetooth then those will have to be wired up separately - including a new mic for the handsfree function on your new radio. You will have to remove or at least remove power from the Honda HFL module so it doesn't keep trying to link with your phone. If you want the AUX and USB to stay inside the center console then you will have to wire them to your new radio.

All this is pretty advanced - if you have never installed a radio in a newer gen vehicle, you may want to get help.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2 Is it possible to go out and buy the Honda NAVIGATION UNIT (MITSUBISHI)
And just install it and it work with no major modifications. Remember I didn't get the Navi system. Will I have to Trade out the roof antenna for the is to work?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts