Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bridgestone are worn out at 26k, I need your opinions on a name brand tire that will perform well in this order. I do drive aggressively at times. Rain, snow and noise. I would like to get Michelin’s just don’t know which model is best for north east weather. Thanks guys

·
Registered
6 Posts
Best advice is go on TireRack and order quality winter tires mounted and balanced on dedicated wheels.
Order high performance summer tires for the current set of rims, check local shop against TR, they may have a better deal, mine did.
Swap every April and October, or however seasons change.

Braking distance on ice and snow on all seasons is double to that of winter tires, this per Consumer Reports.

For 10 years all of our cars have two sets.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I think Consumer Reports recently did a tire test/report......might check there.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Bridgestone are worn out at 26k, I need your opinions on a name brand tire that will perform well in this order. I do drive aggressively at times. Rain, snow and noise. I would like to get Michelin’s just don’t know which model is best for north east weather. Thanks guys
I just got rid of my OE Hankook Kinergy GT tires at 11k miles. They were terrible tires; awful ride quality and noisy. I am surprised that Honda put these lower quality standard tires on a Touring trim vehicle, which should be equipped with grand touring all season class tires. In fact, i will be contacting Honda about this.

I went with Michelin Premier A/S purchased from Costco during their tire sale just before Thanksgiving. They just came in from Texas and I had them installed yesterday. I did a lot of research and the Michelins seemed the best fit for the driving I do and road conditions I will encounter in northern CA.

My observations:

The Premiers handle MUCH better than the OE tires; the ride comfort is significantly better. It feels fully planted when driving at highway speed. I feel much more confident behind the wheel.
We own a '16 RDX and I've always been very happy with how its handling. The CRV with micehlins handles more like a premium vehicle now (just not as stiff in the frame).

Highway driving is smoother & more comfortable, it handles transitions in road surfaces and bumps much better.

In terms of sound, it's definitely quieter, but not dramatically so. No tires will make a car dramatically quieter, that's the job of sound deadening. Don't go into an $800 tire purchase thinking this will make the CRV quiet on the inside, temper those expectations.

That said, I would highly recommend the tire swap for all CRV owners; Tires are so much more important than most people think they are.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have OEM Hankook Kinergy GT on mine and am waiting to see how they do in snow. If they don't play nice, I'll replace with Michelin X-Ice Xi3 or Goodyear Assurance Triple Tread. These two are rated very highly in all the comparison tests I've been able to find but in full disclosure I haven't run either on this vehicle. Goodyear was awesome on my Pathfinder 4x4 for traction, but Michelin was much quieter. I live in Virginia where snow isn't the strong consideration as USA New England. Bridgestone Blizzak tires get excellent traction reviews but not so great for quiet running.

Sent from my Samsung Tab A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
183 Posts
Recently replaced the Hancooks at only 18000 miles with Continental DWS06. With Discount Tire and Continental rebates, accelerated wear rate of the oem tires and impending winter weather, it was time. The first 600 miles I noticed reduced mpg but better ride quality. I'm considered an aggressive driver so I value grip in all weather conditions, cornering and stopping over soft feel and bump compliance. Now after over 1000 miles, I notice mpg on par with oem tires but much better ride, especially at higher highway speeds, more planted cornering feel, rain and puddles are a non-issue regardless of speed and increased confidence overall. With a wintery mix forecast this weekend in Central VA, I'll get to see how they perform in the snow and ice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts