Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, 2017 exl with 25k. I had the oil changed 1500 miles ago and oil level has risen and the oil smells like fuel so I’m bring it back for another oil change. I did get a case # from Honda after I stressed my concern regarding fuel mixing with oil and the possibility of the engine vapor locking. Not sure if it would ever vapor lock but I’m concerned that if it would stall or fail at lets say 65 mph how quickly would I be able to safely pull the car to the side of the road if power was lost. Hopefully you guys have some advice on that. Also, last 3 days have have noticed a vibration in the steering wheel while coasting on very smooth roads. Not sure if anyone else has experienced the shaking. It’s not a tremendous shake, but definitely noticeable and it was never there before. Hopefully they don’t spend 5 min looking into it and tell me it’s normal. Has anyone else started a case # and what end result are you hoping for besides a hopeful fix? I was also told by Honda that I have an open recall on a/c control unit software update. I’ll keep you guys posted on what happens today.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Not sure if it would ever vapor lock but I’m concerned that if it would stall or fail at lets say 65 mph how quickly would I be able to safely pull the car to the side of the road if power was lost.
I don't know how it would be possible for a engine to "vapor lock". On the other hand, it is possible to hydro lock an engine by driving though water or something.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Hi guys, 2017 exl with 25k. I had the oil changed 1500 miles ago and oil level has risen and the oil smells like fuel so I’m bring it back for another oil change. I did get a case # from Honda after I stressed my concern regarding fuel mixing with oil and the possibility of the engine vapor locking. Not sure if it would ever vapor lock but I’m concerned that if it would stall or fail at lets say 65 mph how quickly would I be able to safely pull the car to the side of the road if power was lost. Hopefully you guys have some advice on that. Also, last 3 days have have noticed a vibration in the steering wheel while coasting on very smooth roads. Not sure if anyone else has experienced the shaking. It’s not a tremendous shake, but definitely noticeable and it was never there before. Hopefully they don’t spend 5 min looking into it and tell me it’s normal. Has anyone else started a case # and what end result are you hoping for besides a hopeful fix? I was also told by Honda that I have an open recall on a/c control unit software update. I’ll keep you guys posted on what happens today.
1. Vapor lock is not something that will happen on this vehicle. That is a fueling issue, not an oil dilution issue. So nix that thought.
2. You should be able to safely pull your vehicle over in the event of engine failure.
3. Shaking under deceleration would not be from the engine. That would be a suspension or wheel/tire issue.

As with many on here, remain calm, document real issues with your vehicle. Take pictures and make notes of issues you are having and present to your dealer.

Get an oil sample if you are really worried.

·
Registered
237 Posts
How has no one commented yet on the "oil delusion" problem the OP is experiencing?
You're deluding yourself if you think someone will grab for the lowest of hanging fruit. However, I do seem to not be above diluting this thread with inane comments. Back to thread: OP, please do let us know what happens.

·
Registered
63 Posts
You're deluding yourself if you think someone will grab for the lowest of hanging fruit. However, I do seem to not be above diluting this thread with inane comments. Back to thread: OP, please do let us know what happens.
LOL

I think he meant hydrolock, not vaporlock. valid concern as honda warms of engine damage from oil overfill much less running a 40-50% mix of zero weight slop.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Vapor lock was just a question since fuel is where it shouldn’t be. Safely pulling over meaning if the engine stalls and a vehicle
In front of me slows down quickly and I have no power, how effective will the brakes be with no engine power. The vibration I’m feeling in the steering wheel is only felt while coasting and disappears with the slightest acceleration. Thanks for the kind comments.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If anyone is interested, service manager didn’t want to take the time to discuss my concerns about my oil smelling like fuel and the oil level being above the full mark, and I was told to see an advisor instead. I ask the front desk to please ask him if he could take 5 min to speak to me and he said no. So I spoke to an advisor and expressed my concerns. He is now having a tech check the level and see if it is over. But at this time he has no authorization to change the oil. I’m guessing that I’m going to pay for this oil change.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Vapor lock was just a question since fuel is where it shouldn’t be. Safely pulling over meaning if the engine stalls and a vehicle
In front of me slows down quickly and I have no power, how effective will the brakes be with no engine power. The vibration I’m feeling in the steering wheel is only felt while coasting and disappears with the slightest acceleration. Thanks for the kind comments.
Happened to me once on an old Volvo at 70mph on i40 between Memphis and Little Rock. This is a major truck corridor. Steering and brakes lost all power assist but since smoke was pouring out of the hood, cars noticed immediately and gave me space.

Thankfully I actually got over... Had I not been able to due to whatever I would have been stuck in the road.

I safely got over but it was by no means a safe situation. Anyone saying it's no big deal is just wrong, unless you're on a closed track.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just took my 2017 CRV EXL in for an oil change at the local honda dealership. They notified me that my CRV has recall for this oil dilution issue. They gave me the oil change for free as the recall fix and reprogramming took about 2 hours. After driving for about an hour after getting the car back I do not notice any difference in performance from the recall procedure.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Steering and brakes lost all power assist but since smoke was pouring out of the hood, cars noticed immediately and gave me space.
The CRV is probably one of the safest vehicles to drive in the event of a engine shutdown or failure. The brakes and steering are both electrically boosted.

·
Registered
631 Posts
If anyone is interested, service manager didn’t want to take the time to discuss my concerns about my oil smelling like fuel and the oil level being above the full mark, and I was told to see an advisor instead. I ask the front desk to please ask him if he could take 5 min to speak to me and he said no. So I spoke to an advisor and expressed my concerns. He is now having a tech check the level and see if it is over. But at this time he has no authorization to change the oil. I’m guessing that I’m going to pay for this oil change.
wow.......any other dealers in your area,,this one is not a keeper

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Final outcome was that they took the car inside, had 3 techs smell the oil and check the level and all 3 thought it smelled normal and they changed the oil out of their good graces at no charge and was asked to come back after another 1000 miles to check the level and smell the oil again lol. I kindly asked him why did you change my oil after 1k miles if the level was fine and it smelled normal? He had no answer.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I wihs the sales literature would list all these "normal" conditions, so we would know about them before buying the car. Burning a quart of oil in a thousand miles, vibrating steering wheel, etc, it would b enice to know ahead of time.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Final outcome was that they took the car inside, had 3 techs smell the oil and check the level and all 3 thought it smelled normal and they changed the oil out of their good graces at no charge and was asked to come back after another 1000 miles to check the level and smell the oil again lol. I kindly asked him why did you change my oil after 1k miles if the level was fine and it smelled normal? He had no answer.
Because its easier to do that instead of listening to a customer complain that they didn't do anything about a perceived issue?

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I wihs the sales literature would list all these "normal" conditions, so we would know about them before buying the car. Burning a quart of oil in a thousand miles, vibrating steering wheel, etc, it would b enice to know ahead of time.
What manufacturer would publish negative "sales literature"???????:confused2:

"Burning a quart of oil"?........are we talking about the 1.5L CRV?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts