Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At 42k miles on my 2018 CRV EX. OEM tires are just about done.

Anyone have any recommendations for replacements? Primary concern is finding something quiet. The road noise in this car is becoming very frustrating.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I have very quiet tires in one of my cars but I don't know if it's available for the CR-V - Michelin Energy Saver+

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
The November ‘18 issue of Consumer Reports has tire tests.......noise is one of the areas tested.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Tirerack has several different ratings on tires, including "Comfort Performance" categories for Ride Quality and Noise.

·
Registered
37 Posts
At 42k miles on my 2018 CRV EX. OEM tires are just about done.

Anyone have any recommendations for replacements? Primary concern is finding something quiet. The road noise in this car is becoming very frustrating.
2017 CR-V 2wd
Go on the internet and ask the same question, I did and found a site that gave me a list of the top 10 quietest tires. I bought the Bridgestone. Boy, did it make a difference. I had Hankooks as original equipment.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
2017 CR-V 2wd
Go on the internet and ask the same question, I did and found a site that gave me a list of the top 10 quietest tires. I bought the Bridgestone. Boy, did it make a difference. I had Hankooks as original equipment.
I have never heard the words Bridgestone and quiet used in the same sentence. What model did you get?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I put a set of Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring on my wife's 17 Ex and it was like driving a entirely different car.
Best upgrade yet.
So... to close the loop on this. The Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring are amazingly quiet tires. Cost a ton, but so worth it. At first, when I pulled out of the shop I thought I had something weird going on. There was a strange whooshing noise that was very different than what I was used to hearing. I soon realized it was the air moving around the car. Up until then it had been covered up by tire noise. Now, I literally just hear the environment, not the tires. My new problem now is that the insulation in this car is absolutely worthless. But the tires are fabulous!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Do NOT buy the Michelin Defender T& H tire if you want a quiet tire. Consumer Reports gave them a high rating for being quite......they were wrong!! Got 15K on the tires on my 2017 CRV Touring VERY noisy tires about 25 mph .......

Reactions: madcat347

·
Registered
258 Posts
Do NOT buy the Michelin Defender T& H tire if you want a quiet tire. Consumer Reports gave them a high rating for being quite......they were wrong!! Got 15K on the tires on my 2017 CRV Touring VERY noisy tires about 25 mph .......
Interesting...I have Michelin defender T &H tires on my 2012 CRV. I find them to be a vast improvement over the OE tires and quiet enough for me.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I thought I had a bad tire so after about 750 miles on the tires Costco replaced all 4 tires with another set of Defenders T/H, still a lot of noise. Go figure!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I wasn't referring to defender michelins. Too hard a tire. I've had others in the past. Excellent tires but I ride on conti cross contact. Incidentally, I gave Cooper cs5 a try on my accord. Noisy, uneven wear. I cant wait too dump them. Never again will I buy cooper or any touring tire.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Multiple tire brands and models within brands tested electronically for noise vs one persons ear/opinion........hum, which method would provide more info regarding tire noise, comparatively.

Wow, 42K on original tires and there’s an active thread titled “Tires don’t last”.

Any tire with 42K miles will be noisier than an a new tire of similar tread pattern. Tires get harder/noisier with age/miles.

Reactions: williamsji

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have just completed a drive in my 17 CRV on factory Hankooks. I 5 all the way from Vancouver BC to Bakersfield CA. At times I could barely hear myself think. The tire noise was unbelievable. HOWEVER, at times it was so quiet that it was like being stopped. My point is, it really doesn't matter the tire as much as the road. You can take the most expensive tire you like and put on some highway surfaces and they will make a lot of noise. The reverse is also true.
It's not the tires,it's the road. Yes some tires will be better, but IMHO, it will be the road that will be the difference. Is it worth the money and aggravation to worry about it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts