Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm 5 months into ownership, just over 7000 miles -- I love my 2019 CR-V and would absolutely buy another, it has so many clever little features (like a wipe on brake release when intermittent wipers are on, or the subtle engine speed up on brake release), but there are some things where I really wonder what the Honda folks were thinking --

• Can't easily go from Running to Accessory
    • This has to be my number one complaint. I pick my wife up from the train every evening after work and it's just such a pain to have to go Off, lose the audio, then switch to Accessory. At least the XM radio seems to stay timeshifted as long as you're quick about it. Changing this seems like such a simple thing, do a double-push to go directly from Running to Accessory when in Park. I know there are some workarounds (which are likely just exploiting holes in the car's firmware) but I wish Honda would come up with something to make this easier.

• Power Windows aren't powered in Accessory
    • I know we've got RAS -- so the windows are still powered after going from Running to Off -- but RAS stops after a door is opened, so if I'm in Accessory after parking at the train station I mentioned above and decide to move to the backseat to sit w/ my son who is in his car seat I find I cannot open the windows once I'm back there. I don't want to leave the car in "On w/o Running" mode because it's a big battery waster.

• Independent Volume for Guidance/Siri/Radio
    • Why oh why do they have totally independent volume controls for Guidance vs. Music? It's infuriating to have to wait for Siri to talk so that I can adjust her volume up or down relative to the music. It seems like you should be able to set your relative volumes at some settings panel, and then adjusting the volume knob would move everything up and down together. Nothing more annoying then deciding to turn the music up only to find Siri whispering some directions until you turn her up (which I inevitably forget to lower until I'm blasted by her later after I've lowered or turned off the music)

• Google Maps audio is clipped
    • I think this more a CarPlay thing, but the Google Maps voice is always clipped sounding when she talks

• Swapping to Reverse cuts off Siri
    • I often catch myself dictating a quick text as I'm parking, and as soon as I shift to R and the back up camera comes on screen any current activity with Siri is cancelled. I understand why they do this, they want you to be paying full attention, but honestly it just seems unnecessary most of the time. If you expect me to be able to dictate to Siri during normal driving you should also expect me to be able to do it during very low speed parking manuevers

Final thing I'll whine about...
  • You can't drop the volume when you first start the car
    • The head unit seems to be going through some sort of a boot-up process, and showing you that annoying nag-warning screen, during that period there is a good 5-10 seconds where the audio may be blasting but you cannot turn it down because the knob is unresponsive

I'm curious what other folks out there find quirky about these cars? Or maybe ways to avoid the things I've mentioned above that I haven't figured out yet?

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
- Gee, I've never had a car where the Windows work in ACC. (Which is something I've never been able to figure out...) But yeah, I also long for a way to go direct from RUN to ACC.

- Guidance has separate volume because the audio levels may not be anywhere near the same for the Maps vs. whatever audio source you happen to be using. Having separate Guidance Volume means it's consistent, no matter what you are using for tunes.

- If you connect your phone to home WiFi, she'll have robot-sounding audio until your phone completes the transition to mobile data. (The on-board speech engine is a little primitive)

·
Registered
42 Posts
"Can't easily go from Running to Accessory"

I park the CRV, then turn off engine will still in Drive, then shift to Park, ends up in Accessory mode.

Is this what you meant?

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
3,675 Posts
"Can't easily go from Running to Accessory"

I park the CRV, then turn off engine will still in Drive, then shift to Park, ends up in Accessory mode.

Is this what you meant?
IIRC, this may be different in Canadian vs US delivered vehicles.

·
Registered
112 Posts
My only complaint thus far with mine is the charging ports are post ignition.

On my 07 Ridgeline, I found a way to make the front and rear ports pre-ignition, ( meaning always having power )

·
Registered
232 Posts
Final thing I'll whine about...
  • You can't drop the volume when you first start the car
    • The head unit seems to be going through some sort of a boot-up process, and showing you that annoying nag-warning screen, during that period there is a good 5-10 seconds where the audio may be blasting but you cannot turn it down because the knob is unresponsive
I also hate the nag-warning screen and just generally how cumbersome the whole interface is. I think there's a work around for controlling the volume though. Try the volume rocker switch on the steering wheel. I believe that works even when the nag screen or rear view camera is up. Also, I'm pretty sure you can use the directional pad on the steering wheel at the same time to change stations.

While I'm here I might as well air out a complaint that I have. I hate the throttle response/turbo lag in this thing. It baffles me the amount of reviews I've read that talk about how great the "instant torque" of this 1.5 turbo engine is. I've never experienced anything close to "instant torque" with this thing. You step on the gas and the car stumbles and falls on it's face for about 3-4 seconds until it finally decides to start moving along.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Can't easily go from Running to Accessory: same on 2018 US CR-V, agree this should be changed.
Power Windows aren't powered in Accessory: agreed.
Independent Volume for Guidance/Siri/Radio: I like the independent volume settings. My main complaint is that the map guidance volume can only be adjusted between 0 and 11, but Siri and music/podcasts goes from 0 to 40.
Google Maps audio is clipped: same on 2018 US CR-V using Apple CarPlay and Apple Maps.
Swapping to Reverse cuts off Siri: agreed.
You can't drop the volume when you first start the car: same here. Wish CarPlay wouldn't assume you want to play music from your phone when starting up....

·
Registered
2017 LX-AWD
72 Posts
I hate the throttle response/turbo lag in this thing. It baffles me the amount of reviews I've read that talk about how great the "instant torque" of this 1.5 turbo engine is. I've never experienced anything close to "instant torque" with this thing. You step on the gas and the car stumbles and falls on it's face for about 3-4 seconds until it finally decides to start moving along.
Are you using "ECON" mode? That's the feeling Econ mode gives: It dampens throttle response to boost fuel economy.
Whether or not it works depends on personal driving style, but that's another matter.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Are you using "ECON" mode? That's the feeling Econ mode gives: It dampens throttle response to boost fuel economy.
Whether or not it works depends on personal driving style, but that's another matter.
And, going the other way, and while not curative completely, sport mode sure helps the throttle response. While it doesn't turn it into a Maserati, it helps for those that want to trade off mpg for feel.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,918 Posts
While I'm here I might as well air out a complaint that I have. I hate the throttle response/turbo lag in this thing. It baffles me the amount of reviews I've read that talk about how great the "instant torque" of this 1.5 turbo engine is. I've never experienced anything close to "instant torque" with this thing. You step on the gas and the car stumbles and falls on it's face for about 3-4 seconds until it finally decides to start moving along.
Wha you are experiencing is not turbo lag.. the turbos on the 1.5T spin up extremely fast and have almost no perceivable lag (been extensively verified by Civic owners.. over in the Civic forums, so I'm not just making this up).

It is throttle lag that is deliberately tuned into the powertrain by Honda... for a range of reasons... including emissions and fuel economy. It actually appears to have more to do with the tuning of the CVT more so then the actual engine. It's very bad in Econ mode, but not bad in normal mode in my experience. And putting the CVT into sport mode appears to largely remove the dampening in the response and also allows the engine to reach full torque quickly and smoothly ... though at some sacrifice to mpg.

That said.. you do actually have to drive the 1.5T powertrain a bit differently then earlier CRVs to really experience the engine better. The turbo spins up at around 1600 rpm.. and once it does.... throttle response is much better. So.. the trick is ---> when applying throttle from a stop you want to over throttle initally until the rpms spin up past 1600, with 2000 being ideal, THEN ease up on the throttle once the vehicle has reached better then 25 mph. Interestingly... this approach not only gives you much better driving experience... it also is a bit more fuel efficient then lightly throttling from a stop and easing up to speed. In other words.. this particular power train loves to be front loaded on the throttle initially, and then as it hits it's full power band and is building road speed... you can really easy back on the throttle at that point and the CVT will make all the adjustments from there.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Wha you are experiencing is not turbo lag.. the turbos on the 1.5T spin up extremely fast and have almost no perceivable lag (been extensively verified by Civic owners.. over in the Civic forums, so I'm not just making this up).

It is throttle lag that is deliberately tuned into the powertrain by Honda... for a range of reasons... including emissions and fuel economy. It actually appears to have more to do with the tuning of the CVT more so then the actual engine. It's very bad in Econ mode, but not bad in normal mode in my experience. And putting the CVT into sport mode appears to largely remove the dampening in the response and also allows the engine to reach full torque quickly and smoothly ... though at some sacrifice to mpg.

That said.. you do actually have to drive the 1.5T powertrain a bit differently then earlier CRVs to really experience the engine better. The turbo spins up at around 1600 rpm.. and once it does.... throttle response is much better. So.. the trick is ---> when applying throttle from a stop you want to over throttle initally until the rpms spin up past 1600, with 2000 being ideal, THEN ease up on the throttle once the vehicle has reached better then 25 mph. Interestingly... this approach not only gives you much better driving experience... it also is a bit more fuel efficient then lightly throttling from a stop and easing up to speed. In other words.. this particular power train loves to be front loaded on the throttle initially, and then as it hits it's full power band and is building road speed... you can really easy back on the throttle at that point and the CVT will make all the adjustments from there.
Thanks for this response. I do usually drive the car in "S" with "Econ" turned off, but the delay in power still bugs me.

My other vehicle (2007 Saturn Vue) is about the same size and shape as this car but it has Honda's 3.5 V6 in it. That car will spin the tires on dry pavement if you stomp on the gas pedal. Lots of power.

I've taken our CR-V to a gravel parking lot and stomped on the gas and couldn't kick up one little pebble. Wait, now that I think about that, maybe I'm a moron. I never considered that the traction control system might be kicking in and doing what it's supposed to be doing. The Saturn has traction control also, but it is a very crude system that doesn't work anywhere as good as the CRV's. Perhaps the same thing is happening on dry pavement too when I stomp on the gas too hard, and that's what's causing it to bog down.

The car is just trying to save me (and it's transmission) from my own stupidity.

Thanks for letting me work stuff through. It's been very therapeutic. (y)

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
5,018 Posts
why do you think the push start is different from the old key? 3 press it

and got ot recheck this a Long PRESS when in park to kill the engine

·
Registered
197 Posts
I've taken our CR-V to a gravel parking lot and stomped on the gas and couldn't kick up one little pebble. Wait, now that I think about that, maybe I'm a moron. I never considered that the traction control system might be kicking in and doing what it's supposed to be doing. The Saturn has traction control also, but it is a very crude system that doesn't work anywhere as good as the CRV's. Perhaps the same thing is happening on dry pavement too when I stomp on the gas too hard, and that's what's causing it to bog down.
The AWD system in the CRV is different than most SUVs. The rear is always engaged when starting from a stop. The rear is disengaged once the vehicle decides that rear traction isn't needed. Most AWD vehicles are FWD until slippage is detected.
This is probably why you can't spin the wheels when starting from a stop.

·
Read Only
41 Posts
The beeping when u get out when it is running in park is annoying but not as bad as Fords double honk of the horn that’s my only thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,918 Posts
The beeping when u get out when it is running in park is annoying but not as bad as Fords double honk of the horn that’s my only thing.
When I leave my CRV running and leave it for a minute.. I just leave the driver door cracked open a bit.. and no more beeping. :)

And the corellary to this would be the owner who leaves the car running, and then complains that the vehicle did not warn them and someone stole their car.

My point.. one persons loathing is another persons desire. :) Which is why no vehicle maker can please everyone.

Personally, I like that modern Hondas have a range of notifications beeps, tones, etc.

My wife loves it that her Accord will not lock her trunk, and beep accordingly, if her keys are in her purse and the purse is in the trunk.

·
Registered
78 Posts

Maybe that's how I naturally drive. I am actually extremely happy with the throttle response. Never felt anything that seemed remotely like turbo lag. Or even this throttle lag. I just put my foot down reasonably evenly, the engine spins up to about 2000, then stays there until the CVT starts to move to higher ratios and the speed just sort of ends up where I want it. Can't really say I have ever been annoyed by any of the stuff mentioned here. But if you want REALLY annoying, what about the memory seats that don't include the side mirrors? Does anybody out there know of any other car that is so bone head dumb. And just today I found something else - there is NO low washer fluid warning. Now given that the Canadians get one, how much can that possibly have saved. I suppose it meant they don't install it in any cars built in the US plant(s?). Really? It's these kinds of seemingly insignificant things that get me, because they are really nickel and diming.

·
Registered
101 Posts
...it doesn't turn it into a Maserati...
That's a GOOD thing. Today's Maseratis are crap. I haven't seen a legitimate review of any new Maserati that doesn't slam them (with the possible exception of the GranTurismo but for $150k, it had better be stellar).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts