Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2010 CRV with 70k has a leaking steering rack and pinion according to two different Honda shops. Replacement is scheduled for next week. Now find my daughter-in-law's 2007 CRV with 120k is also leaking. My 2012 CRV with 95k has no leaks (yet). This is a major repair and not cheap. All three of these CRVs have been serviced as recommended.

Are these steering rack seals a known weak point for the CRV? Have there been any recalls about these? Are there steps an owner can use to prevent leakage?

·
Everything in Moderation
7,649 Posts
Our '99 Acura TL had a leaky rack it's whole 185K 'life'. Was leaking out into the accordion-shaped boot. Never could tell where it was leaking until the boot ruptured at ~120K miles.

While I needed to top up the PS fluid almost every oil change, it never caused an operational issue.

So, it's just one more fluid to monitor....

Where are you seeing the leak? (Pics helpful)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Info from Service

The 2010 was repaired, cost ended up being $1030. The service manager at the Honda dealership said they do a LOT of these on this generation CRV. He said there is some part down inside of the rack that fails causing the fluid to leak initially into the boot but eventually rupturing the boot. Am a little surprised that this hasn't become subject of a recall like the A/C failures in the 2003 and the oil ring leaks on some later models.

The prices quoted by three different Honda dealerships for installing a rebuilt rack with 3yr/36000 warranty varied from 1030-1800, so guess shopping around pays off. Found one independent who claimed to be able to replace it, but didn't include alignment or warranty.

I am still a CRV enthusiast, despite replacing A/C on 2003 once owned with 105k, A/C relay failures draining batteries on 2007 and 2010, and now this rack and pinion failure on 2007 and 2010. The vehicles are still the most reliable and inexpensive I have ever owned.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just had the rack and pinion replaced on my 2009 due to leaking. Now the steering feels a little off...its stiff only when making left hand turns but normal on right turns. The mechanic told me the rack needs a "breaking in" period. Does this sound right?

·
Everything in Moderation
7,649 Posts
I just had the rack and pinion replaced on my 2009 due to leaking. Now the steering feels a little off...its stiff only when making left hand turns but normal on right turns. The mechanic told me the rack needs a "breaking in" period. Does this sound right?

:rolleyes:If he didn't purge all the air, it's possible.

First thing is to establish when he expects the steering to become 'normal'. Let him know you will return the vehicle to him if the feel doesn't improve by then.

You can ensure that all the air is purged by turning the wheel all the way one way, then the other. (Let the car roll as you turn, and do it in an empty parking lot.) Repeat three or four times. (The tech should have done this with the front wheels off the ground).

Post back with results...

++++++++++++

If the issue doesn't improve,I suspect a defective rebuilt rack. :(

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi,
I tried the slow turning in the parking lot and the steering became just a little better. Went back to the mechanic who took it for a spin. He agreed its tighter on left turns but thinks it could still loosen more, asked me to bring it back in 150 miles for reevaluation. I'll let u know what happens.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My 02 CRV had it's steering rack replaced under Honda care about 6 years in. My 09 CRV is getting it's 2nd replacement as I'm typing this. The replacement rack installed in 2016 was found to be leaking when I starting hearing clunking noises and the steering was very stiff. These should be recalled.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts