Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was behind a large delivery truck with a lift gate stowed at a 45 degree angle and was curious to see if the radar could see it. I approached it at the usual speed that sets off the brake warning. I did not get any warning and had to break manually. It appears that the 45 degree angle of the stowed lift gate deflected the radar waves down and not back to the CRV. Has anyone else experieneced this?

·
Registered
264 Posts
My '16 failed to detect a toyota Tercel on the highway the other day. First car i can recall it failing to detect in the last year. I tried multiple times to get it to detect it. Not sure why it couldn't. Stealth!

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
65 Posts
I was behind a large delivery truck with a lift gate stowed at a 45 degree angle and was curious to see if the radar could see it. I approached it at the usual speed that sets off the brake warning. I did not get any warning and had to break manually. It appears that the 45 degree angle of the stowed lift gate deflected the radar waves down and not back to the CRV. Has anyone else experieneced this?
thanks for sharing this.

·
Registered
973 Posts
It would be interesting to see the lift gate. Normally lift gate bottoms have angled supports with sharp metal edges and corners that reflect very well. It might be it saw it but the response logic was flawed.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
As the Honda manual states: will not detect all objects". They don't lie about it or give us false hope, they are honest. Now, that said, I had someone walk out in front of me the other day in a little college town in Ohio (one of those "smart" college kids that thinks they are the center of the universe and nothing will happen to them). Anyway, when this idiot just stepped right out in front of the car it flashed the brake warning light and slowed down real quick. So, I know it works.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Yesterday when I was slowly backing up at Costco parking lot there was another car which was passing by real fast behind my CRV AWD Touring then my CRV beeped immediately to warn me. I was very impressed.

Question: Do I have to setup anything to make my lift gate open when I "kick" my foot under center of the rear bumper? I read the manual but found no instruction. I am not sure if the motion sensor of my CRV lift gate works. Thanks.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Thanks, I was thinking it would look like that. There's a number of good looking surface reflectors there. Each one of those metal support bars making 90deg angles reflect back. The door handles and lock reflect. The side steps on both left and right side have nice 90deg reflectors. It's not so much about what is deflected away (stealth-like tech) it's the remaining surface reflectors that count and that appears to be abbondanza! A possible w.a.g. would be the antenna front end is being overwhelmed with too much returned signal.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Yesterday when I was slowly backing up at Costco parking lot there was another car which was passing by real fast behind my CRV AWD Touring then my CRV beeped immediately to warn me. I was very impressed.

Question: Do I have to setup anything to make my lift gate open when I "kick" my foot under center of the rear bumper? I read the manual but found no instruction. I am not sure if the motion sensor of my CRV lift gate works. Thanks.
I was having difficulty having the handsfree liftgate open with my foot until I realize you have to kick forward, not left and right, with your foot under the center of the bumper, then back immediately and then step back a bit and wait about 1.5-2 seconds as there is a slight delay before the hatch lifts up automatically. Don't let your foot linger under there or keep doing it thinking your foot action hasn't activated it. Now I have made it work every single time whereas before 1/2 the time I could not get it to open.

I hope that helps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts