Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My CRV is less than two months old. I have been to the mountains 4 times to test the AWD, it works great! However every trip it snowed and the Radar constantly went Disabled and of course away went the safety features! Does anyone know of a product to prevent the plastic Radar cover from accumulating snow and ice?

·
Registered
2017 CRV EX AWD
671 Posts
My CRV is less than two months old. I have been to the mountains 4 times to test the AWD, it works great! However every trip it snowed and the Radar constantly went Disabled and of course away went the safety features! Does anyone know of a product to prevent the plastic Radar cover from accumulating snow and ice?
you shouldnt be using honda sensing assists in inclementweather which is why it alerts you if the build up and disables it.

it has been covered about 10000000x here if you search

·
Registered
203 Posts
I'm not concerned with losing it during snowstorms, as happened with my 2017. But last weekend my 2020 lost it during a light drizzle. That seemed...insane. Unless this was a fluke, it has become far, far more sensitive.

·
Registered
37 Posts
For what it may be worth ...

My wife drives a new Lincoln. (I drive a 2018 CR-V.)

Anyway, she also experiences the same thing during inclement weather (snow, fog, heavy rain. That sort of thing.)
So, I'm guessing Lincoln uses similar technology.

Thanks to "Bandit400's" for the explanation.

I guess, that just the way it is.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
The features the radar enables (Adaptive Cruise is the primary one) aren't useful in treacherous conditions anyway; the car isn't aware that available traction is dubious, and won't increase following distances accordingly.

(Traction control, which does help in poor conditions, works just fine without the radar.)

·
Banned
524 Posts
The problem isn't that the sensor is covered in snow. The radar uses low power millimeter radar, which isn't capable of penetrating through rain and snow without getting confused.
Great summary.

And also highlights just why a "heater" on the sensors would likely fry/interfere with the radar, rendering it useless.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
A heater. Can't believe one wasn't designed in to the system.
Believe what you want.. but the CRV is NOT an all weather fighter jet. It is, generally speaking, a fair weather vehicle with fair weather safety enhancements.. which notably are smart enough to tell the driver when they are off line due to bad weather... so you the driver can take over as a responsible adult.

Now.. would you like an additional $10K tacked onto the price tag of your CRV in order for it to have thermal systems designed to mitigate it's inability to work on those limited days of the year when the weather is bad? NO.. I didn't think so. ;)

So I encourage you stop jerking your knee, and sit down and think this through better. :whistle:

·
Registered
141 Posts
^^^^Nonsense. A heat pad at the bottom of the box would do it, similar to those battery heater pads you can buy.
Check the sensor the next time the radar disables in the snow. I would be willing to bet a couple rolls of toilet paper that the sensor isn't iced over/covered in snow.
This is just system saying that it cannot operate reliably and safely in these conditions.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Check the sensor the next time the radar disables in the snow. I would be willing to bet a couple rolls of toilet paper that the sensor isn't iced over/covered in snow.
This is just system saying that it cannot operate reliably and safely in these conditions.
😂

·
Registered
535 Posts
Bandit400 is correct - I used to work for Raytheon - we invented Doppler radar that you see on the weather channel.
The radar at the front of your car is panicing because the rain or snow is reflecting off of it and the logic can no longer figure out what is in front of you. Once it panics it disables itself to prevent false alerts.
Maybe with a $1,000,000 radar computer it could - there is a limit to what the $900 system can do.
For those of you that need a easier explanation.
If you take a picture with a digital camera of 10 people - the camera can find the heads of all 10 with boxes.
Now take a picture of a crowded basketball seating arena with 10,000 people and it cannot find the 10,000 heads. It is too much for the logic to handle.
That is what happens to the radar on your car.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
^^^^Nonsense. A heat pad at the bottom of the box would do it, similar to those battery heater pads you can buy.
The nonsense here is coming from your opinions, being presented as pompus fact.

Again.. these are fair weather safety systems.... NOT foul weather safety systems..and the Honda manuals make that very clear. They specifically warn that said systems are likely to go off line in snow/ice/rain.. and that the alert notifies the driver accordingly. At which point the driver must be an adult and take over, rather than griping and raging about it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
This is where us RD1 guys get to laugh at you. My radar isn't going to break, because my car doesn't have finiky expensive contraptions like that. I don't need radar to drive safely at all, because I bothered learning to drive safely for myself.

I'm not trying to imply that I'm somehow better than y'all. On the contrary, I would like to encourage you to depend less on this newest bs, and to improve your skills so you don't need it.

Please drive safely... Your car really doesn't know how.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
This is where us RD1 guys get to laugh at you. My radar isn't going to break, because my car doesn't have finiky expensive contraptions like that. I don't need radar to drive safely at all, because I bothered learning to drive safely for myself.

I'm not trying to imply that I'm somehow better than y'all. On the contrary, I would like to encourage you to depend less on this newest bs, and to improve your skills so you don't need it.

Please drive safely... Your car really doesn't know how.
What does RD1 refer to? (showing my ignorance) Thanks!

I believe that the "newest bs" as you refer to, will in fact save many injuries and potential lives....if the driver knows how and when to take advantage of them. I doubt there is any driver here that hasn't been distracted at least once for a few seconds, with potentially disastrous results. These "finiky (finicky?) expensive contraptions" can, and do save lives.

With that said, all here have survived without them...I've been driving over 50 years, and can still walk, talk breathe in and our, and safely drive over 17,000 miles a year, and yet, I do appreciate the newest safety tech.

It is important to always be aware of the conditions one is driving in, and not expect the safety tech to save your bacon, or to rely on the safety tech during a snow or heavy rain event.

That's my opinion.

·
Registered
347 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts